Overdrive switch default position

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazz

Reaction score
My 2007 D40 STX seems to have an issue with the overdrive.

After starting the engine the overdrive light is always on.

The switch operates normally while driving.

If i turn the overdrive off, turn the ignition off then turn the ignition on the overdrive is back on again, as if on is the default position.

Is this normal????

So i am often driving around in overdrive unless i switch it off after start up each time.

Am i missing something really obvious here??

Mine is in the 'on' position by default, I have to turn mine off. My "O/D OFF" light on the dash is NOT lit once the engine has started. Mine's a 2009 so it might be a little different.

Sounds the same as mine Tony. Sorry my post may be a bit unclear.
Light on = overdrive off, light off = overdrive on.

I thought it was strange that it would default to overdrive on, i thought it would make more sense to start driving with it off then activate when required.

Do you think having the vehicle in overdrive during stop start driving would have much effect on fuel economy?

I just booked the nav in for its 120,000 km service for next week. I asked the guys at the dealer what they thought of this issue and if it was normal. One bloke reckons it doesn't happen.

"It stays in the position you leave it when you switch the vehicle off mate, and I know cos I drive a nav" was the response.

ok.....:hmmmm:

So i made the whole thing up just to come in and ask YOU about it (I felt like saying this but didnt)

Haha!

I don't think it makes much difference to the vehicle's economy unless you turn it OFF (so the light's on). I doubt that "overdrive" means a whole lot more than an extra gear on top. I've left mine on almost its entire life apart from when I'm trying things out like forcing a mild engine brake.

With it off (light on) at highway speeds, the vehicle will never get into 5th gear (instantly wasting extra fuel) and it will never lock its torque converter - therefore wasting some fuel just turning the torque converter over. The torque converter lock feature does give us some considerable economy - I'd estimate it at least to be 2-3LPHK if not more.

Overdrive switched on around town wont be affect the economy as OD doesn't engage until until about 70kph and torque converter lockup doesn't occur until 80kph. Also TC wont ingage until engine is up to temp.

Latest posts

Back