Outside Temp Display

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the replies everyone. It is working . Old Tony you are a legend, you had It right all along. I had the plug behind the grill so I assumed it was wired in but after ripping the cluster out and checking that wasn't the case. So here is what I did. I carefully cut the front plug up and removed the 4 connectors, I soldered 2 onto a 2 core wire and pushed them into the back of the cluster plug pins 49 and 50 then I used the other 2 connectors on the other end of the wire which I ran to behind the grill and plugged in the sensor. It currently reads 0.4c above the official BOM temps. Mine is a 2008 R51 yd25 for anyone doing this in the future. Thanks again guys

Hey guys, I'm also new here, after buying my first Navara a few weeks ago, which is a 2010 ST, built in Thailand (or formerly, as the vin lookup says, Siam, not sure if there's a difference?)
Was there any luck for the fuel consumption/distance to empty to display permanently?

Last edited:
Hey guys, I'm also new here, after buying my first Navara a few weeks ago, which is a 2010 ST, built in Thailand (or formerly, as the vin lookup says, Siam, not sure if there's a difference?)
Was there any luck for the fuel consumption/distance to empty to display permanently?
I'm amazed wherever you did the VIN lookup is still referring to Thailand as Siam as the name changed in 1939, which is well before they built your Navara.

As for the external air temperature, in a "normally aspirated" engine (a term which is kind of ridiculous in an age where most engines have turbos) the ECU needs to know the external temperature because that's also the temperature of the intake air. The Navara has a turbo, so the engine is never going to breath air at ambient temperatures. Even if for some reason your turbo stopped working, the intake air still passes through it and will still be heated because the turbo is still being heated by the exhaust.

It appears it's complicated or maybe impossible to get the outside temperature display activated on the Thai (or Siam :)) built D40's. I did some poking around and found terminals 49 & 50 don't exist on the Thai cluster. It only has one 24 pin connector. I even dismantled the cluster and tested traces on the PCB with a DMM to see if any were linked to the outside temperature digits on the little LHS LCD screen. I decided to stop before I damaged something.

I threw the towel in and bought one of these. It will slot into the blank switch hole next to the mirror switch. It's not ideal as I'd prefer to have the reading in my dash like my other cars but it's better than nothing. I'll report back once it's installed.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002378779246.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.264a4c4d8L70cm

Up until recently, I've only ever really owned and toyed around with N/A v8s, so my first thought was exactly what you're describing Oldmanbeard, regarding the ecu. My understanding of diesels and turbos are only very basic at the moment, so try go easy on me when I inevitably say dumb shit 😅
That said, does the n/a v6 navara have this issue as well? Or did they only ever come out of Spain?

Im not too fussed about getting the outside air temperature, but coming from juice guzzling V8 world, I'd like to get the L/100kms and dist to empty.
So, (this could be a dumb question already 🙄) if pins 49 and 50 aren't in the Thai cluster, why does it show on the display during "tESt" mode?

Up until recently, I've only ever really owned and toyed around with N/A v8s, so my first thought was exactly what you're describing Oldmanbeard, regarding the ecu. My understanding of diesels and turbos are only very basic at the moment, so try go easy on me when I inevitably say dumb shit 😅
That said, does the n/a v6 navara have this issue as well? Or did they only ever come out of Spain?

Im not too fussed about getting the outside air temperature, but coming from juice guzzling V8 world, I'd like to get the L/100kms and dist to empty.
So, (this could be a dumb question already 🙄) if pins 49 and 50 aren't in the Thai cluster, why does it show on the display during "tESt" mode?

Yes that was my thinking. Both the outside temp and L/100km display during test mode. An Electronic Engineer or Technician needs to interrogate the instrument cluster PCB to nut it out. I'm not convinced it's impossible to activate those features on the Thai display. We need the appropriately qualified and knowledgeable person to work it out to reveal the secret to finally put Thai D40 owners out of their misery.

The short answer is cost-cutting. The same display is used across multiple models and rather than program different self-test modes depending on which Navara the display is to be fitted to, the display performs the same test in all cases, even if parts of the display are not used for a particular model. Other makes and models may do things differently but you need to remember that the Navara is not exactly what you might call a high-end vehicle.

Yes that was my thinking. Both the outside temp and L/100km display during test mode. An Electronic Engineer or Technician needs to interrogate the instrument cluster PCB to nut it out. I'm not convinced it's impossible to activate those features on the Thai display. We need the appropriately qualified and knowledgeable person to work it out to reveal the secret to finally put Thai D40 owners out of their misery.

I've read the L/100kms can be shown through the obd2 port (scangauge, torque etc), not sure if ambient temp reading is also available via obd2 as well? If so, wouldn't this imply that the readings don't just go directly to the instrument cluster, as has previously been suggested, but rather are controlled or relayed elsewhere? BCM or ECU?

I should probably get stuck into reading through the manual first before I make assumptions on how it actually works and make a complete ass of myself, huh? 😅

I get the intake air temperature to display on the Ultragauge which is plugged into the obd2 port. It is a couple of degrees warmer than outside air temperature.

It appears it's complicated or maybe impossible to get the outside temperature display activated on the Thai (or Siam :)) built D40's. I did some poking around and found terminals 49 & 50 don't exist on the Thai cluster. It only has one 24 pin connector. I even dismantled the cluster and tested traces on the PCB with a DMM to see if any were linked to the outside temperature digits on the little LHS LCD screen. I decided to stop before I damaged something.

I threw the towel in and bought one of these. It will slot into the blank switch hole next to the mirror switch. It's not ideal as I'd prefer to have the reading in my dash like my other cars but it's better than nothing. I'll report back once it's installed.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002378779246.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.264a4c4d8L70cm

Today I installed the outside/inside temperature display. It clipped into the Nissan standard switch opening to the left of the steering column. I used the power socket for the switched 12V supply.

I ran the outside probe through the left hand side firewall grommet, under the airbox and cabled tied it underneath the left hand headlight. It appears to be accurate and is better than nothing for Thai D40 pilots.

1638253611129.png

An update after a test drive ...

The thermistor on the end of the cable is has no damping. OEM thermistors are encapsulated for protection and to smooth out temperature fluctuations

When driving the probe reacts too quickly. You stop at the lights and the temperature quickly rises probably due to road pavement heat soak.

It's easily solved by wrapping a piece of foam over the probe as a damper. Once done the outside temperature displays rapid fluctuations stopped.

An update after a test drive ...

The thermistor on the end of the cable is has no damping. OEM thermistors are encapsulated for protection and to smooth out temperature fluctuations

When driving the probe reacts too quickly. You stop at the lights and the temperature quickly rises probably due to road pavement heat soak.

It's easily solved by wrapping a piece of foam over the probe as a damper. Once done the outside temperature displays rapid fluctuations stopped.
Nice mate. Thanks for the info and update.
Thats the spot where my fuel flap button is located, is yours originally located somewhere else or did you relocate it?

It should be in a similar position to mine - just behind the grille in front of the intercooler and tied to the small metal upright.

If the sensor is left to float about it could get close to the air conditioning condensor which could make it warmer.

Thanks Tony. Sorry for the delay replying I am somwhere east of southern cross. Comms are not great. I have had the intercooler changed twice, genuine nissan one failed and i put an aftermarket one in. The sensor must have been moved as i cannot find it. Can you advise which side of the engine bay it comes off the loom? I mahy be able to trace it from there. Thanks, Mark

From memory mine comes out on the left hand side not far from the side of the intercooler.

The plastic housing for the sensor is green, the socket itself has 4 pins (although it only uses 2).

Back