Only Happens in 4 Low

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe its a remove and reflash...only thing dyno tunable with them is mods..boost controller or chips..i run both and the make no diffrence..its pretty much a closed system..think there is a guy in sydney that reflashes the d40 brains...im sure it was about a grand tho...

Main difference is Thai vs Spain built. We could ask an RX owner, or a 2010 ST dual cab owner to get off the bitumen, whack it into 4LO and pop it into 4th gear and see how it goes. Any takers?

As i have said a number of times in this thread and others, my 2010 ST dual cab did it but only in third and fourth and only under reasonably easy throttle, if i really stuck the foot into it, it was ok but as soon as you eased off it would return.

Right, so I have a 2007 4L Auto Petrol Navara, D/C - Spanish Build.
Guess what, same problem with surging in 4LO, but only if the diff-lock is on.
I mostly do only sand, so 4HI is fine, but on this particular trip, there was a long steep sandy hill that had huge cross axle holes in it.
I normally try to take it slow, but kept spinning out in the holes.
Also the diff lock (factory fitted) can only be activated in 4LO, which is also a bit lame.
When in 4LO and diff lock on, revs will be limited to 2000rpm, but not very smooth, more like surging described above.

Was told by the agents that this is built-in feature to protect the diff-lock and to limit you to below 40km/h- I say bull!!!

Still trying to figure out a way to engage the diff-lock in high. How else you going to storm huge sandy dunes?

Factory diff locks aren't something we got as an option over here in Australia. Bloody hell, Nissan, are we a complete backwater?

Mine's an auto so I can't test this myself, what if it's not limited to Thai builds? What if it's an error in the ECU based on information from the transfer case and gearbox, or worse like an attempt to govern the engine as you seem to suggest?

Anyone with a manual Spanish diesel want to give it a shot in 4LO 4th gear at around 2,000 rpm?

Factory diff locks aren't something we got as an option over here in Australia. Bloody hell, Nissan, are we a complete backwater?

Mine's an auto so I can't test this myself, what if it's not limited to Thai builds? What if it's an error in the ECU based on information from the transfer case and gearbox, or worse like an attempt to govern the engine as you seem to suggest?

Anyone with a manual Spanish diesel want to give it a shot in 4LO 4th gear at around 2,000 rpm?

My 2012 ST never did it in any gear at any revs, i really noticed this when i did the same trail that had a stack of continuous hills over a very long day of fire trails out between Araluen & Bendethera, in the old D40 i was constantly shifting between High and Low but with the 2012 i was able to leave it in LOW and just go through all the gears

My 2012 ST never did it in any gear at any revs, i really noticed this when i did the same trail that had a stack of continuous hills over a very long day of fire trails out between Araluen & Bendethera, in the old D40 i was constantly shifting between High and Low but with the 2012 i was able to leave it in LOW and just go through all the gears

That clears the air for the Spanish ECUs here in Australia, but muddies the water for the Thai ECUs and Spanish built cars headed for other countries. I wonder if the African shipments had Thai ECU's?

Looks like this is a real can of worms!

I am getting the impression that the solution is most likely going to be a Thai - Spanish ECU swap, and think that that may not be a realistic solution. Is that going to be acheivable without too much drama - or is it going to end up in the "too hard basket"?

Physically the only mechanical difference between the two is the tub length, the way the doors open and the light switches, which are handled by the BCM not the ECU. Everything else should operate the same, so I can't think of a reason why the ECUs can't be exchanged.

I wonder if niss4x4.com.au (who's in Vic) would lend Siringo a Spanish one to find out?

I noticed the other day when slowly accelerating, if you change gears (say first to second) with small throttle application and either leave throttle pedal at the same position between changes or lift off and apply a bit of throttle but don't re-engage the clutch, the engine revs erratically. Not sure if it's related because as soon as you load it up it returns to normal operation.

Anyone else seen these symptoms?

Just thought of this again..rang the larger local dealers in adelaide.no idea...only repsonse was there hasn been a software update for early d40s ever...only update was in 2010 for the new 140kw motors...any thoughts

No, I have no more ideas about this problem. It p!$$ed me off just the other week, struggling through snow on a slight uphill, throw it into 4low and it was just good .. bad .. bad .. good .. ok .. good .. bad etc etc.

I think the only way this is going to be resolved is via non Nissan intervention.

You can send a complaint to Nissan like I did and see what they say.

Is it only manual cars that this happens in ? I have this problem and have a manual. Pretty sure its only at certain revs .

Was thinking today about tonys idea of swapping the ecu.might check with niss4x4 or local wrecker and see i can test one

It's the only recall I've got for king cab

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423019323716.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423019323716.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 62
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423019382827.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423019382827.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 58
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423019486253.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423019486253.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 64
  • uploadfromtaptalk1423019542657.jpg