oil spray on the turbo

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzy

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm about to buy a D22 2006 3L for 25k It's done a 105k's. I checked out the motor and didn't find any oil residue in the air filter, everything else looks fine. The only two things that are a bit of a worry for me is there is a tiny bit of oil spray on the turbo. I'm not sure if this is a standard thing to happen with these models. A mate of mine who's a mechanic thinks there shouldn't be any oil at all and would be cautious. Other guys on the net have mentioned this is a standard issue with these navara's and some are in the same situation and never had an issue with their duel cab. The other thing I noticed is a bit of oil on the front diff. But it didn't look like it was pooring out. Other mates recking during oil changes you can loose a bit and hence could have been the oil form the change over. The oil was quite dark. I'm pretty keen on buying it but don't want to buy a dud. Its a one owner, and the owner was an old dude who lived down the road past my old mans place. The owner has only taken it offroad once or twice.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I still need to ask about the timing chain. anyone know how much a timing chain service costs?

If i get the vehicle, i'll post some picks.

ben

hi mate and welcome
there are a lot of guys on here with a heap of knowledge
ime sure you will get some quality replies
personally i would walk away at $25000 its too dear for a 2006 3 ltr
a local car yard has a 2008 2.5crd with 40k on it, winch,snorkell and spotties for the same price
and the oil spray worries me too
goodluck

oil on the housing is probably just oil from the breather that gets pushed out intake hose joins. fit a catch can.

timing chain, no service required unless it starts making noises.

Welcome to the forum!

If you're spotting oil on the inside of the turbo, it's from the PCV - as Tweak said, fit a catch can. If it's excessive though, it indicates a lot more than usual blow-by is happening and that may be worn rings. Rub a finger inside the exhaust at the rear and see if you can smell burnt oil. It probably won't blow blue smoke if they've put a bottle of oil treatment in but that's a temporary fix.

Got the same problem with the 2008 2.5 CR turbo I bought recently. Haven't taken a look as yet but the turbo is caked in black gunk. I'm wanting to get a manual before I start pulling things apart. Doesn't seem to have any effect on performance. So forgive my ignorance but what is a catch can?

As someone else said, 25 is a bit rich for what it is.

Oil catch can is basically a canister box where you plug your breather hoses into off the engine, which then you plug hoses back off the can to the piping. It basically lets all the oil that gets shot out through your breather hoses a dump place so you don't get oil in the air intake. It would be more important for a turbo petrol car over a turbo diesel.

The turbo itself could be busted, but if you're handy it's not too expensive or hard to replace.

Timing chains just need oil and a tightening once in a blue moon. They don't really need to be serviced as such, maybe take a peek at it every 50-100k.

Back