OBD2 for Nav

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aus_Karlos

Reaction score
Hey guys im looking at this.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OBD2-OBD...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af1c5e4f7

Is this Compatible with the Aussie Navs?
My Nav is a 2008 D22 2.5lt Common Rail. As i found out recently its a mongrel breed. Crossed with the Japanese and the Taiwanese. Its a strange car.
The device is made in the US.

However ive just found this one.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ELM327-I...=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8210c3d1

But it doesnt state what vehicles it supports.

This device will come in handy for me as ive tweaked the engine a lot lately and i wish to keep a closer eye on things. Ive got a compatible Android radio in the car so it will look nice.

I tried my own OBD2 BT adapter on a D22 (ZD30 engine, not sure what year). It couldn't read it - turns out the OBD port on those D22s was a custom thing.

Before you buy, might be handy if you could find out whether your port is actually OBD2 or if it's hybrid like some other D22s.

2.5 cr motors are fully obd2 compliant so it will work fine. I got a $12 ish one off eBay and it works fine with torque on my Acer tablet

Is anyone using an iPhone to do this. If so what app are you using and brand of adaptor/unit is best to suit it. I was going to go for a scan gauge but this looks pretty cool to.

Cheers

I found an app called iOBD2 and another one called dyno. They both have adapter modules on eBay. The iOBD2 is $70.

My adaptor came today and it connects then instantly disconnects and continues in a massive circle. It doesn't ask for a password and it will pair with the phone in the settings.

Phone is HTC One
OBD2 is ELM327 mini
Car is 11/2009 d22 2.5CR

Edit: Fixed, got the APP BluetoothAutoConnect off the Play Store and it works perfectly now except no boost sensor in the 2.5 CR?

Last edited:
I think the D22 used different sensors - try code 01 0B (Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor) - I'm not sure if that'll work, but take a look.

I had a HTC phone and had difficulty with its bluetooth being erratic. No dramas with the iPhone or Samsungs we've tried since - so my HTC went under the hammer.

Got it all sorted now, the free version of Torque had limited boost sensor protocols. Paid the $5 and it's all sweet and working awesome.

Best $8 I've ever spent. I just need to find a tablet for the right price now to mount into the vehicle or one of them Android double din headunits.

i probably sound retarded but can i get a screenshot of what information gets displayed through this thing?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1386373845825.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386373845825.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 274
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386373859287.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386373859287.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 263
  • uploadfromtaptalk1386373870674.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1386373870674.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
I have just purchased Xtool iOBD2 MFi BT which I can get to pair with an iPhone 4s using iOBD2 app from the app store.

I also connected with a Samsung Galaxy Ace with the iOBD2 app from the play store.

I tried to download the iOBD2 app for an Asus tablet running Android 4.2.1, but it said the app was not compatible.

I will post more information as I work with it more

Interested in setting this up to save some $$$ on gagues.

Would the torque pro app still be accurate if running a fuel pressure chip?

Also, are there any programs that would give egr readings? I'm guessing probably not unless there is a temp probe in the exhaust.

Thanks.

Torque is limited to the information that the ECU has available. That means if you're using a rail pressure modifier chip, the ECU will NOT have the the right info and so neither will Torque (or any other app). The only way to get accurate information if you are deliberately modifying the signal is to use an independent measuring system.

As you guessed, EGT is only available if there's an EGT sensor - but they also need to address the correct PID for EGT (Mode 1, 78 or 79 hex).

Torque is limited to the information that the ECU has available. That means if you're using a rail pressure modifier chip, the ECU will NOT have the the right info and so neither will Torque (or any other app). The only way to get accurate information if you are deliberately modifying the signal is to use an independent measuring system.

As you guessed, EGT is only available if there's an EGT sensor - but they also need to address the correct PID for EGT (Mode 1, 78 or 79 hex).

Would the ECU not have some of the correct info...like boost pressure?

The main reason I ask is I'm about to blank my egr valve and want to ensure the intake is still getting the right amount of air afterwards..if that makes sense? My understanding is the ECU will still think that the egr is putting some exhaust back into the intake and reduce the airflow accordingly?

If Torque shows boost pressure I will only have to invest in a pyrometer.

Cheers.

I don't think the ECU handles EGR in that much detail. Recent models have flow sensors in the EGR valves to ensure that there is some EGR present when commanded but that's all. I don't think the engine examines the amount of EGR present. Boost pressure in the D40 is available and generally unmodified by chips.

The ECU will have correct info on anything that's not modified. Some chips modify the fuel rail pressure by faking the sensor return signal. As an example, putting a resistor in the return signal line for the fuel rail pressure sensor will lower the return voltage which means an apparent lower pressure, causing the ECU to raise the pump output (and therefore the rail pressure) until the reported pressure is where it needs it to be. This means that you can't rely on that information from the ECU.

I did hear of a chip that modified the MAFS signal too, which is an unusual way to affect the ECU's view of the world but I would rather that, personally, than inflating the rail pressure which is already capable of some incredible pressures. There's another chip that modifies the CAS signal in order to artificially manipulate the injection timing. We don't usually examine the CAS signal - I doubt there'd be real-time CAS data available, but there's certainly real-time MAFS data and if that's modified it becomes unreliable.

A pyrometer is a good investment, particularly if the measurement is taken really close to the turbocharger. One of the most ingenious ideas I've heard of is to remove the EGR pipe and manufacture a blanking plate that has the EGT probe in the centre, extended inwards enough to place the probe in the middle of the exhaust stream, just before the intake to the turbocharger's turbine - perfect!

Cool thanks for the info...had my d22 since new in 2011 but I've only just started to think about doing engine mods.

If Torque will read boost pressure fairly accurately that will do me.

Just need a pyro...does anyone know how hard is it to drill and tap the probe? Or is it best to get an exhaust shop to do it?

Latest posts

Back