NP300 Dual Battery Location

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronasx

Reaction score
Not too sure if this has been discussed before?.......
Looking at Dual Battery Set-Up in the NP300, with the Battery not located in the Tub.

I have seen a slimline AGM behind the rear seats, which looks a really good idea...but after checking with VicRoads & a VASS Engineer, is not Legal in Victoria.
I was thinking a slimline battery under a front quarter panel, or, chassis mounted battery.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Interesting. I mounted a 135Ah AGM slimline laid flat on it side on the floor under a shelf I made the King Cab. I have removed the jump seats. Queensland here but had no idea it may be illegal.

^ The problem is likely to be that it's a battery and it shouldn't be able to vent into the same airspace as the vehicle occupants. Even "sealed" batteries can vent if a fault develops, releasing hydrogen - which while it's not chemically dangerous to us, a slight spark will turn your Navara into a functioning mobile model of the Hindenburg. Or so they fear.

In actual practice there's considerably less risk. Caravans used to have a requirement to have the batteries stored in a compartment that was vented to the outside, but these rules have relaxed to the point where manufacturers are putting the batteries inside with no venting whatsoever. The new AGM "sealed" batteries are pretty reliable as long as they're maintained.

That said though, only a day ago one of the batteries in my motorcycle's trailer decided to end its own life. It wouldn't accept any more charge from the charger and began to swell. There's 30-odd amp-hours now missing, thankfully I've never actually needed more than about 10Ah when camping on the bike (I used an esky, not a fridge).

Yeah, I had the same situation and finally placed the 120ah AGM battery in the tub. I did consider placing the battery 'under' the tub as there are cradles you can purchase specifically for that location.
But I am happy with the battery in the tub as I do alot of dirt and mud. If you are mainly doing bitumen then maybe under the tub.

Yeah, I had the same situation and finally placed the 120ah AGM battery in the tub. I did consider placing the battery 'under' the tub as there are cradles you can purchase specifically for that location.
But I am happy with the battery in the tub as I do alot of dirt and mud. If you are mainly doing bitumen then maybe under the tub.
Hey Edward. Thanks for replying. Any chance you could post a couple of pics? I would love to see where and how you mount it in the tub?

Not too sure if this has been discussed before?.......
Looking at Dual Battery Set-Up in the NP300, with the Battery not located in the Tub.

I have seen a slimline AGM behind the rear seats, which looks a really good idea...but after checking with VicRoads & a VASS Engineer, is not Legal in Victoria.
I was thinking a slimline battery under a front quarter panel, or, chassis mounted battery.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks
I have a 2015 NP300 and I have put the second battery in the left wing of the draw set up that I had installed, happy to send some pics if you like.
Thanks

Attachments

• BB2A59B1-9918-42FC-B379-A847B90A2759.jpeg
    BB2A59B1-9918-42FC-B379-A847B90A2759.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 69
  • F5FE824C-24A7-4308-B8F5-9FFF7EF41850.jpeg
    F5FE824C-24A7-4308-B8F5-9FFF7EF41850.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 67
  • 37C75066-FDFD-4070-8AC7-A982E6C6FB95.jpeg
    37C75066-FDFD-4070-8AC7-A982E6C6FB95.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 60
Looks awesome. I don’t have a canopy do I can’t copy but love the box and placement of the outlets. Are they fused in the box?
Not sure to be honest. The fridge can work off the battery or solar via RedArc battery charger.

Latest posts

Back