NP300 / D23 Canopy Choices - Which is best value ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muttlee

Reaction score
Been looking at canopies for my 2018 D23. Looked at ARB, Carryboy, Opposite Lock (Shimatra - steel type) and now looking at Ironman.
Must haves - ventilation for dog
Tailgate fit against the beer shelf for sealing.

Like the ARB with sliding and top hinge side glass. No visible hinges etc.
Dont like how most tailgates meet the beershelf
Ironman seems to be the only one with a design that goes over the beershelf. And its less than 4k....

What have you got? What are the fors & againsts ? What would you buy if looking now?

Thanks in advance..... discuss.....

I don't have a D23 but must say I prefer the look of the Snugtop canopy because the lower lip of the canopy passes over the outside of the upper edge of the tub. It just looks tidier (than, say, an ARB canopy for mine).

Roof loading capacity is something to consider, especially if you're young and fit and decide at some point that you want a roof-top tent, which is especially useful in the Australian outback because many wild critters don't know how to climb the ladder into the tent whereas getting over the small lip of a tent on the ground is easy for wombats, snakes, frogs, funnel web spiders, goannas and a host of other critters we've had to chase out of our tent (including brush turkeys, peacocks, other campers' dogs etc).

I have a Navara with an ARB and another car with a Snugtop. I optioned the Snugtop up more and I don't know if the options are available for the D23.

Travelling with a dog, the thing that is most important is sliding windows behind tub (to also help pressurise the tub) and sides. Preferably also lift behind tub so you can clean the back window and sides so that you have access to the tub.

Central locking because it is just so much more convenient.

Fully lined, just because it looks better.

One of mine came with fly screens. Ok if you plan sleeping in the tub (it's long enough) but otherwise just a dust collector and can't clean the glass behind.

If you are planning on carrying things on the roof, does the canopy require an internal frame? Some don't although expect the canopy to be heavier. Plastic vs fibreglass etc

I don't worry about a bit of dust. It's the nature of the beast. You have to use the right tool for the right job.

I have an ECO from a few years ago but I'm not sure if you can still get them.

I have a suggestion. Make sure you get one that allows you to open the front window allowing the airconditioning to reach your pup. You also need to seal between that canopy and the ute rear window. I did this by finding a Motor Bike inner tube the right size. I pushed it into place whilst deflated then pumped it up to seal between the two. Even on a really hot day my dog stays quite cool. I tried other methods before I tried the tube but they always seemed to move.

Hi there,
May be too late, but I had the same issue. Ended up with a rather expensive RSI Smart Canopy. It has a front window so your dog can stick its head through - tick. But the best thing is that it has side flip-up side windows which are huge (can still lift things in/ out using the whole class, unlike a sliding window where you're restricted) but inside that flip-up glass, it has a nother smaller port window that slides open (both sides have this) for the dog. A border collie can stick its head out but not fully (and you can lock it partially open).

Latest posts

Back