Nissan's inability to properly seal and install a snorkel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Panel beater mate has 07 Navara onto which he installed his own snorkel. He refused to do it the way the instructions said and pulled the guard off totally. I suppose that is all well and good for a bloke who pulls panels off and re-fits for a living. As a result he can do submarine trips without a worry. When I get a snorkel you know who will be fitting it for me....

can anyone tell me what sort of clip is on the bottom or the airbox? I changed my air filter and only have the 2 clips on the side which leaves the bottom section of the airbox looking like it'll let air in. also the seal has perished so i need to get a replacement for that too. i guess it's time for my first trip to nissan. Not looking forward to that.

Hey will,
Pretty sure the bottom clip is same as top, but I'll check tomoz.
There's a thread floating around today about blokes replacing seal with foam from bunnings, check that out....
Cheers

digbyj said:
Hey will,
Pretty sure the bottom clip is same as top, but I'll check tomoz.
There's a thread floating around today about blokes replacing seal with foam from bunnings, check that out....
Cheers

Thanks digby, yeah I saw that other thread just after I posted, I think I have some of that foam stripping already so I'll give it a go. I might even remove my snorkel at the same time to ensure thats sealed too. Cant be too careful. Cheers mate.

Yeah gotta check mine too, I tried that plastic bag check method (which can be bad but couldn't resist) and it sucked hard against snorkel head but didn't stall engine so I'll try that airbox seal coz I installed snorkel and used a heap of sikaflex!

That seal is pretty close to the turbo (within 30cm) and being like foam I reckon it will dry out fairly quickly from the heat, I might see if there's a silicone option (just to stop it perishing & going brittle, not for heat reasons).

Hey guys, just got a brand new d22 and im getting a snorkel installed by nissan. Just wondering if the sealing problem still exists from dealers? Should I still mention something to the dealer about sealing it properly?

Cheers

Hey guys, just got a brand new d22 and im getting a snorkel installed by nissan. Just wondering if the sealing problem still exists from dealers? Should I still mention something to the dealer about sealing it properly?

Cheers

Might as well mention it. They might say that it's not supposed to be watertight....

if you ask for a snorkel to be installed, then the snorkel will be installed according to the instructions provided by the manufacturer in order to maintain warranty for you, and avoid liability issues for the dealership.
as an accessory installer at an authorised dealership that services multiple brands with 4x4 options, i have never seen an instruction sheet that requires any sealant to be applied to the snorkel seals. generally they have closed-cell foam seals at the through-panel joints, and often airboxes of off-road designed vehicles (ADR category MC - off road passenger vehicle, not class NA - utes, not class MA - suv's) have a drainage valves at the bottom, which function similarly to a heart valve - negative pressure keeps the rubber flaps together until something weighty, like water, accumulates in them, whence they open up and dump water out. generally snorkels are not designed for long-term immersion, and good luck getting a sensible and responsible dealership that wants to keep its sales rights, to make custom modifications to factory products without it costing an arm and a leg.
tl;dr - you're looking for an aftermarket product, from an aftermarket vendor.

Last edited:
And back in 2011, Donald Trump was a gameshow host, a global pandemic was a conspiracy theory, people queued for days for an iPhone and inflation was at 0.25%.

Latest posts

Back