Nissan Navara D40 stopped while driving

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kransen

Reaction score
Hello!

My d40 stopped while i was driving yesterday, and i had to get it towed home. I suspected that there was something wrong with the fuel supply. When i crank it, nothing happens. If i pump the fuel pressure manually, it starts, but stops again immediately. I disconnected the fuel filter, and checked it, and it seemed okay. I connected everything and pumped pressure. I then removed the return line from the filter, and tryed to crank enginge. There was no diesel that flowed out of the return line.

Has anyone had the same situation? i suspect the high pressure pump, but i would like to be sure, as this is a really expensive part.

Thank you

It does sound like there's a leak causing the pump to suck air instead of fuel and allowing the fuel to return to the tank. Do NOT try starting the engine any more - the pump relies on the diesel fuel running through it to lubricate it. No fuel means rapid wear inside the pump.

Pump the primer a few times - under normal circumstances, it should get quite firm within 4-5 squeezes. Don't stop once it's firm! Now we need to keep pumping to pressurise the system, because adding pressure now will cause the diesel to come out of the leak, and that's how we find the problem.

Naturally that only works if you've got a fuel hose/filter leak. It worked for me, when the water sensor wasn't installed in the fuel filter correctly. If that doesn't work for you, let us know and we'll go over some other possibilities.

Thank you for your reply!
I wanted to try to change the fuel filter, so changed that today. I primed the fuel system, and continued after the bulb got hard. Still it barely starts, and stopp again immediately

So there was no fuel leak after you continued priming it? If so, you may be looking at a component failure issue. Like an SCV - the D40 is rather sensitive to this, which even minor scoring/pitting/varnish can cause problems. You'd usually notice other symptoms first as the SCV was failing - often an unsteady idle, referred to as hunting.

The SCV can be removed and inspected. Two torx bolts and an electrical connector will see the SCV freed from its home on the fuel pump. There are two types - a long and a short - I'm not sure of the actual dimensions, they do depend on the specific engine model.

I read about the SCV, and it said that i should try starting with the fuel filler cap off, and if it started, it was the SCV. It did not start

First of all, i would like to thank you for all of your help.

I now found the problem, and it was really silly.

i went through all the fuel lines and the system var tight, and had no leak. Then i thought, if there is compression, and there is fuel, then it must be air. I took off the hose to the throttle valve, to inspect the valve. When i tried to start it, i saw a lot of smoke coming out of the intake. I thought that was wierd as the egr valve isnt supposed to open that much at startup. I removed the egr valve and tried to start the car and..... it started. The egr valve seems to be jammed, and i have gotten no fault code from it at all. So all the time when i was priming the fuel, and though that was the reason why it started a bit, it was really just that in the time i used to prime the fuel system, the smoke evaporated from the intake...
So tomorrow i will try so make a gasket that has no hole in it to block out the egr valve, and hope it helps.

Depending on the year model, a fully blanked EGR may cause the ECU to light up the Check Engine Light. From about 2012 onwards, Nissan added a flow sensor to the EGR valve to ensure that the system wasn't blocked. If yours is older, don't worry, you'll have fixed the problem - but if it's got the sensor, you might need to obtain a replacement.

Hello!

My d40 stopped while i was driving yesterday, and i had to get it towed home. I suspected that there was something wrong with the fuel supply. When i crank it, nothing happens. If i pump the fuel pressure manually, it starts, but stops again immediately. I disconnected the fuel filter, and checked it, and it seemed okay. I connected everything and pumped pressure. I then removed the return line from the filter, and tryed to crank enginge. There was no diesel that flowed out of the return line.

Has anyone had the same situation? i suspect the high pressure pump, but i would like to be sure, as this is a really expensive part.

Thank you
Hi, there is a few issues with Nissan Navara D40 yd25, In my case the pickup suddenly stop working, and I turn key to off position and try to start the pick up, it cranks several times and start, and everything goes ok again, In other opportunity the car was on long distance working and stop in a traffic light, and the Iddle RPM goes down and engine stops, same procedure key off key on car ok again, other observation is that the car goes into limp mode some times, and other fact is looses all power but it’s not into limp mode you can rise RPM to 4000 but without power in 1st gear position. When car runs ok you can’t have all power in one kick some times you need to depress the accelerator pedal and depress it again and car kicks all power RPM to redline.
I replace diesel prefilter
I replace diesel secondary filter
I check all hoses from tank to diesel pump even the rail check.
I check and disassemble the SCV ( suction control valve) and clean but this part is very delicate.
Results
Car is more Smooth, more MPG but same problem.
Now I order to Australia the SCV by Nissan is made in Japan made by DENSO, so I install it and made the RELEARN procedure, and car goes very very fine and good and rev up rpm as new, but the car stop again and I discover the failure is the COMMON RAIL Pressure valve problem so I’m waiting to replace the parts.

Attachments

• F8B4E869-D5AD-467D-A3AA-267AC6C74989.jpeg
    F8B4E869-D5AD-467D-A3AA-267AC6C74989.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
  • A8A75729-60F3-4F91-9EB5-6AC1963E96C7.jpeg
    A8A75729-60F3-4F91-9EB5-6AC1963E96C7.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 1988A7BD-FEA7-4B09-A919-DE493F1759F6.jpeg
    1988A7BD-FEA7-4B09-A919-DE493F1759F6.jpeg
    874.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 462C5BC2-8D8B-427F-816F-9E2DE0B0DA15.png
    462C5BC2-8D8B-427F-816F-9E2DE0B0DA15.png
    204 KB · Views: 18
  • 50F6B9C6-CA8C-4759-8838-497AFE4719EA.png
    50F6B9C6-CA8C-4759-8838-497AFE4719EA.png
    749.8 KB · Views: 19
Hello!

Thank you
Hi, there is a few issues with Nissan Navara D40 yd25, In my case the pickup suddenly stop working, and I turn key to off position and try to start the pick up, it cranks several times and start, and everything goes ok again, In other opportunity the car was on long distance working and stop in a traffic light, and the Iddle RPM goes down and engine stops, same procedure key off key on car ok again, other observation is that the car goes into limp mode some times, and other fact is looses all power but it’s not into limp mode you can rise RPM to 4000 but without power in 1st gear position. When car runs ok you can’t have all power in one kick some times you need to depress the accelerator pedal and depress it again and car kicks all power RPM to redline.
I check and disassemble the SCV ( suction control valve) and clean but this part is very delicate.
Results
Now I order to Australia the SCV by Nissan is made in Japan made by DENSO, so I install it and made the RELEARN procedure, and car goes very very fine and good and rev up rpm as new, but the car stop again and I discover the failure is the COMMON RAIL Pressure valve problem so I’m waiting to replace the parts.

Attachments

• FAE205C7-AF18-4BAF-A078-F4491BE4B5B8.jpeg
    FAE205C7-AF18-4BAF-A078-F4491BE4B5B8.jpeg
    911.1 KB · Views: 12
  • E3C5E123-41C8-4D5B-B4A0-7AA78C4B6B85.jpeg
    E3C5E123-41C8-4D5B-B4A0-7AA78C4B6B85.jpeg
    668.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 97144E56-4C5E-4027-8D78-048F5D19BBEA.jpeg
    97144E56-4C5E-4027-8D78-048F5D19BBEA.jpeg
    501.9 KB · Views: 9
Results
I suggest u to check the Egr Valve ive had almost the same problem with my D40 and i saw it was Egr valeve.I blocked
Results
i suggest u to check egr valeve ive had almost the same problem and it was egr.I blocked the airbso they cant go ti egr and car is running better than i lt was.

Yes, EGR cleaning it’s good tip, I’ll did mine, and that part was full of charcoals, I disassembly from exhaust manifold tube to the valve it selve, and clean all parts, but the EGR never give me a serios problem. With the EGR dirty car blows to much chemicals to atmosphere and more black smoke.

Latest posts

Back