Newbie with (another) timing chain query and revs issue

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gorb

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just did an intro in general chat and realised questions should be here...

Just purchased a 2010 D22 YD25 ST-R, Thai built with 150000km's and two issues have arisen.

1. Fear of timing chain has me concerned about a loud rattle I have discovered. This car on both hot and cold starts, purrs beautifully. It has that nice diesel purr that you want to hear. Under both load and no load, I have discovered at about 2200rpm, a fairly substantial rattle begins, which then disappears beyond 3000rpm. Because the timing chain is already in my head, that's what I fear and think I'm hearing especially if I think about the noise of a metal chain dragged at high speed across a pipe or similiar, but everything I have read suggests timing chain noise should be at idle and should be a horrible racket. This noise is not a happy noise but it sounds like a metal plate vibrating harmonically with those revs, both on the way up and way back down. As mentioned, at idle, beautiful purr. Car drives nice, has more power than expected, it drives well. Anyone want to have a stab at possibilities OR could this be in actual fact a symptom of timing chain?

2. When driving and pulling up to a set of lights/stop sign and stopping with clutch in, I notice the revs sit at around 900 rpm for about 20 seconds, then drop down about 200 revs to around 700rpm. It is almost like the air con is on, but it is not on. After reading some suggestions on similiar problems, I have checked the "heat" button is OFF, Air Con is OFF and I have done the - let it sit for 10 minutes idling reset, but no change. Any suggestions on that issue?

Thanks...

Hi all,

Just did an intro in general chat and realised questions should be here...

Just purchased a 2010 D22 YD25 ST-R, Thai built with 150000km's and two issues have arisen.

1. Fear of timing chain has me concerned about a loud rattle I have discovered. This car on both hot and cold starts, purrs beautifully. It has that nice diesel purr that you want to hear. Under both load and no load, I have discovered at about 2200rpm, a fairly substantial rattle begins, which then disappears beyond 3000rpm. Because the timing chain is already in my head, that's what I fear and think I'm hearing especially if I think about the noise of a metal chain dragged at high speed across a pipe or similiar, but everything I have read suggests timing chain noise should be at idle and should be a horrible racket. This noise is not a happy noise but it sounds like a metal plate vibrating harmonically with those revs, both on the way up and way back down. As mentioned, at idle, beautiful purr. Car drives nice, has more power than expected, it drives well. Anyone want to have a stab at possibilities OR could this be in actual fact a symptom of timing chain?

2. When driving and pulling up to a set of lights/stop sign and stopping with clutch in, I notice the revs sit at around 900 rpm for about 20 seconds, then drop down about 200 revs to around 700rpm. It is almost like the air con is on, but it is not on. After reading some suggestions on similiar problems, I have checked the "heat" button is OFF, Air Con is OFF and I have done the - let it sit for 10 minutes idling reset, but no change. Any suggestions on that issue?

Thanks...
I have the same bus which does the same thing idle wise and no idea why.
Re rattles, I drove a D40 for 10 years and in that time had 3 significant rattles at various times all of which took quite abit of tracking down.
These being:
The air box
A bonnet hinge
And the nissan badge on the engine cover - which was the worst of them.
Each of these was rev related.
Worth having a dig under the bonnet

I have the same bus which does the same thing idle wise and no idea why.
Re rattles, I drove a D40 for 10 years and in that time had 3 significant rattles at various times all of which took quite abit of tracking down.
These being:
The air box
A bonnet hinge
And the nissan badge on the engine cover - which was the worst of them.
Each of these was rev related.
Worth having a dig under the bonnet
Thanks J......,
I've sorted mine out, was correct in being rev based harmonic type vibration. As you suggest, something loose. There is a plate around top edge of intercooler and I noticed a bolt missing. Replaced bolt, problem sorted. Only had about 1/8th of mm movement but amazing how that could "sing" at revs.

With my point two about revs at 900 rpm, down to 700rpm, I reckon that is actually a normal function of these cars. I could theorize why, but just opinion so won't, but as soon as the wheels start rolling, the revs will go to 900, the moment they stop, back to 700 rpm. As an afterthought, don't think I've tried it whilst in neutral with clutch out, might give that ago later. I don't think there is an issue with it.

regards

rattles rattles ;; as long as i have had the d22 i have had rattles / squeeks etc you just sort one out and another one comes , timing chain , air cleaner , exhaust hitting fire wall , broken wing mounts , and now i think i have broken the cat cause its in the exhaust somewhere but it all looks really good ,,, lucky i am fairly deaf but i can still hear the missus complaining

rattles rattles ;; as long as i have had the d22 i have had rattles / squeeks etc you just sort one out and another one comes , timing chain , air cleaner , exhaust hitting fire wall , broken wing mounts , and now i think i have broken the cat cause its in the exhaust somewhere but it all looks really good ,,, lucky i am fairly deaf but i can still hear the missus complaining
I can relate to that!!

Also as above. Totally relate to all this. But I still love my d22!

Just turn the stereo up and it's only one or two rattles you can hear.

Latest posts

Back