New/old Navtragic.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mal B

NF Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
G'day all, New/old, new to the forum but been a D21 tragic since the '90s, when I was conned by a Perth car salesman whose name I still remember, but that's a minor detail. Had that '89 Z24 4by Kingcab for 16 years, up until 10 years ago, and couldn't replace it because to this day, I haven't been able to figure out what it was I loved about it.
About a week ago I spotted an '87 single cab on Gumtree, looked tidy in the pics and powered by a VN V6, was a bit disappointed it had power steer and A/C, but you can't have everything perfect.
Got a lift the 300ks to have a look, asks ol' mate if it will make it home for me, "should do, but I won't guarantee, take it for a test drive", nah, "the diff's a bit noisy, take it for a test drive", nah, "I've got a trade plate there, take it for a test drive", arrr ok (if it'll make you happy). Couldn't see the point of test driving, I already had the permit in my iPad when I left home!
Anyway, she clunked and banged and stalled at intersections, half the dials and gauges don't work, the suspension is suffering from years of neglect, the diff will need replacing, sooner rather than later and I've got a rather long list of parts and repairs.
But, I love it already because it's a D21, and it's not lacking in power, or won't be when I sort out the miss in the V6!
Cheers
Mal

long live the d21/// had mine for 22 years and 700,000 klms - it was a two wheel drive and one day i got it in my head to get a 4x4 so since the d21 was so good i thought i would get a d22 -- so wrong , its nowhere near as good

long live the d21/// had mine for 22 years and 700,000 klms - it was a two wheel drive and one day i got it in my head to get a 4x4 so since the d21 was so good i thought i would get a d22 -- so wrong , its nowhere near as good
Know where you're coming from, I've driven a couple of D22s lately, and they do absolutely nothing for me. 700,000ks, I did some quick maths this morning, and figured that'd take me somewhere around 100 years to accomplish.

Certifiable then :)
Mate, if you'd flogged the ring out of a 330 cubic inch 4x4 Bedford, without killing it, to get over as many sand dunes as I have, you'd show a bit more respect!
Besides, what else can you get, that can sit for a year, or two, and still fire up on the first turn of the crankshaft😁.

Know where you're coming from, I've driven a couple of D22s lately, and they do absolutely nothing for me. 700,000ks, I did some quick maths this morning, and figured that'd take me somewhere around 100 years to accomplish.
my 86 d21 was a work ute - double cab - used it for work all day driving around sydney then sports for the kids when i got home and then maybe adventuring on the weekends - never stopped - i would never buy a nissan again - my bad - only good thing about a d22 is the fuel economy - fantastic

as many sand dunes as I have, you'd show a bit more respect!
Hey Mall, No offence intended mate. You did say "maybe just a little" and I took a bit of liberty with that. Like jokingly. In fact I admire the most, people like yourself that achieve such things in a vehicle as yours. If you did a gazillion sandhills in a Benz G 63 AMG 6X6. I'd be thinking so what.

Hey Mall, No offence intended mate. You did say "maybe just a little" and I took a bit of liberty with that. Like jokingly. In fact I admire the most, people like yourself that achieve such things in a vehicle as yours. If you did a gazillion sandhills in a Benz G 63 AMG 6X6. I'd be thinking so what.
G'day Tappet, absolutely no offence taken, put a smile on my dial it did, but I probably should have put the smiley face after that first bit of my comment.
You may actually have been right, coz I was telling porkies about having a psych report to prove my sanity, and my dream garage would have at least one Type 3 VW, best fun car to drive, I ever owned, and an early Transit.
A Benz would have been nice, but there were still dunes that we had to find our own detours around, in 6x6 International Paystars.

G'day Tappet, absolutely no offence taken, put a smile on my dial it did, but I probably should have put the smiley face after that first bit of my comment.
You may actually have been right, coz I was telling porkies about having a psych report to prove my sanity, and my dream garage would have at least one Type 3 VW, best fun car to drive, I ever owned, and an early Transit.
A Benz would have been nice, but there were still dunes that we had to find our own detours around, in 6x6 International Paystars.
Speaking of dunes and VWs, my first car was a Manx beach buggy. Good fun on the beaches in Esperance and in the bush around Kalgoorlie.
Must get around to rebuilding the old girl...
And get moving on my Mazda 121...
And finish my HQ Statesman...
Oh and the Navara needs a service 😂😥

Speaking of dunes and VWs, my first car was a Manx beach buggy. Good fun on the beaches in Esperance and in the bush around Kalgoorlie.
Must get around to rebuilding the old girl...
And get moving on my Mazda 121...
And finish my HQ Statesman...
Oh and the Navara needs a service 😂😥
You had a Manx for a first car, and you've still got it, wow (turns green with envy), but you're restoring a HQ and 121? (thinks about enquiring after line of business, but bites tongue instead 😁)
My first was a 203, born same year as me. I don't know if it was ever a rally car, but it did come with a speed brace for changing the, three stud, wheels.

The Manx was a bit of a family car, the '76 121 was my first "own" car. That is in pieces and needs a LOT of work. The Statesman I bought for 8k well before the old car values went nuts! All it needs now is an engine freshen up really. They don't really cost me anything, just a bit of space in the shed.
I shudder to think how many wrecks I would have if I had a bigger block😁
I have only recently decided to farm out the servicing on the D22 due to my lack of time for multiple projects.

I shudder to think how many wrecks I would have if I had a bigger block😁
[/QUOTE]
Not wrecks, spare parts and projects pending!

And I was thinking more along the lines of, he must be an accountant, doing up the boring(my opinion) cars and leaving the Manx till last;).

I gotta say, I should have started with the buggy. Only the floor pan to worry about tinworm and an easy air-cooled motor!
My 121 has been on a rotisserie for 2 years now because, you know, house etc!
Not an accountant FFS😂!
I have been in mining and mineral processing most of my life. Roster does give me a few days off but yeah... 15 years and bathroom reno is yet to start😕

G'day all, New/old, new to the forum but been a D21 tragic since the '90s, when I was conned by a Perth car salesman whose name I still remember, but that's a minor detail. Had that '89 Z24 4by Kingcab for 16 years, up until 10 years ago, and couldn't replace it because to this day, I haven't been able to figure out what it was I loved about it.
About a week ago I spotted an '87 single cab on Gumtree, looked tidy in the pics and powered by a VN V6, was a bit disappointed it had power steer and A/C, but you can't have everything perfect.
Got a lift the 300ks to have a look, asks ol' mate if it will make it home for me, "should do, but I won't guarantee, take it for a test drive", nah, "the diff's a bit noisy, take it for a test drive", nah, "I've got a trade plate there, take it for a test drive", arrr ok (if it'll make you happy). Couldn't see the point of test driving, I already had the permit in my iPad when I left home!
Anyway, she clunked and banged and stalled at intersections, half the dials and gauges don't work, the suspension is suffering from years of neglect, the diff will need replacing, sooner rather than later and I've got a rather long list of parts and repairs.
But, I love it already because it's a D21, and it's not lacking in power, or won't be when I sort out the miss in the V6!
Cheers
Mal
it will certainly rip once you get it sorted, and you'll probably get much better fuel economy at the same time, those old Z24's sure liked a drink!

it will certainly rip once you get it sorted, and you'll probably get much better fuel economy at the same time, those old Z24's sure liked a drink!
I, can't remember the fuel economy, and I'm sure I would have checked it, maybe I decided it just wasn't important.
As long as I'm not embarrassed by every other, and one in particular, 4x4 ute, going up hills, I'll be a very happy chappy!

Latest posts

Back