New member and 2019 NP300 AT32 Off Roader introduction...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpash

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm based in NW London, UK and I bought a Navara AT32 Off Roader (2019) in January of this year and I'm extremely happy with it. The missus and I are retiring the '09 X-Trail and we were going to do a yuge pan-European odyssey this year and maybe beyond, hence the massive over-specification of the AT32 for UK roads. Now we're seriously considering an Australian trip-of-a-lifetime! Shipping the vehicle to Australia is considerably less expensive than one might think! Works are scheduled to be done; canopy, DCDC battery charger and battery bank, refrigerator, etc, etc. I fully intend to pick all your brains (in the appropriate forums, of course!) and I'll be very happy to respond to any questions you all might have regarding my vehicle's set-up for the big trip, or whatever.
Looking forward to meeting you!
P.S. I should have posted this before I posted an earlier question, but I got mixed up between 'The Navara Forum' and 'Nissan Navara.net'. Apologies, and apologies also to the mods if we're not allowed to mention 'the other place'... ;)

Welcome to the forum.

Hopefully your car doesn't have a sun roof, because the drop bears here can be vicious.

Also be aware that while Taipans are extremely deadly, they're quite shy - unlike the Brown Snake which is extremely aggressive.

Also, on the east coast (mostly), the Funnel Web Spider ranks amongst the world's deadliest and it's highly aggressive, it will attack first and will continue to envenom repeatedly with a neurotoxin capable of killing the average adult in 15 minutes. Some articles that may help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_brown_snake
https://www.theguardian.com/austral...ustralia-funnel-web-deadliest-spider-in-world
https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/environment/factsheets/Pages/avoiding-spider-bites.aspx
A note on redbacks: they're a small spider that builds nests with leaf debris suspended in it and generally only bite us when they're threatened (like when we touch them). Usually they're quite shy. The funnel web on the other hand will just walk up and start a fight.

Many thanks for the welcome, and the wildlife notes!

The missus and I spent a wonderful month in a rental campervan, from Darwin to Perth 5 years ago, and try as we might we couldn't find ANY snakes or spiders worth being careful around, just a couple of roadkills and dead sea snakes on the beach. Disappointed, as we enjoy snakes especially. The Florida Everglades in the dry season had incredible numbers of assorted snakes per square metre where the water was still standing, plus any amount of alligators. As an angler I'm far more concerned about your saltwater crocs up North-ish... and jellyfish... and toadfish... and cone shells... and sharks.

From previous experience emus are not my friends either, especially when they're roaming the streets of Exmouth threatening dog walkers and passers-by, and generally acting like juvenile bogan thug gangs.

And the funnelweb, thankfully, is mainly found around Sydney, so we'll be looking out if and when we get there. I don't wear flip-flops/thongs ever, anywhere, anyway, so my toes are safe from spiders and I do batter my shoes before putting them on so scorpions are dislodged.

I'm far more worried about filling up with duff diesel, multiple punctures, or being broken into when parked up in some rough campground (Halls Creek campground has a rep...) or being unable to find a spare part for my Spanish-built EU6 NP300 if needed. Them's my concerns!

The drop bear or Thylarctos plummetus are big suckers by all accounts, 120kg in weight, 90cm at the shoulder and an apex carnovore. They are becoming rare now though, as due to scarcity from the bush fires the Yowies are eating them. In turn the Yowies aren't such a problem either, ever since the big cats have been predating on them. Strangely they don't seem to be a problem either (big cats), as whenever they get close enough for clear unambiguous pic, they morph into moggies lol. It's only when they're distant and blurry that they turn back into big cats lol.

Many thanks for the welcome, and the wildlife notes!

The missus and I spent a wonderful month in a rental campervan, from Darwin to Perth 5 years ago, and try as we might we couldn't find ANY snakes or spiders worth being careful around, just a couple of roadkills and dead sea snakes on the beach. Disappointed, as we enjoy snakes especially. The Florida Everglades in the dry season had incredible numbers of assorted snakes per square metre where the water was still standing, plus any amount of alligators. As an angler I'm far more concerned about your saltwater crocs up North-ish... and jellyfish... and toadfish... and cone shells... and sharks.

From previous experience emus are not my friends either, especially when they're roaming the streets of Exmouth threatening dog walkers and passers-by, and generally acting like juvenile bogan thug gangs.

And the funnelweb, thankfully, is mainly found around Sydney, so we'll be looking out if and when we get there. I don't wear flip-flops/thongs ever, anywhere, anyway, so my toes are safe from spiders and I do batter my shoes before putting them on so scorpions are dislodged.

I'm far more worried about filling up with duff diesel, multiple punctures, or being broken into when parked up in some rough campground (Halls Creek campground has a rep...) or being unable to find a spare part for my Spanish-built EU6 NP300 if needed. Them's my concerns!

The Box Jellyfish is a problem, yes, it's a nasty critter, if they're about then you just don't. You're lucky to have never seen a snake, I live in a small rural town and we have the buggers trying to get into our houses! We head out of town and they're everywhere.

Crocs are a problem in certain areas. We went to Karumba (bottom edge of the Gulf of Carpentaria) and there was supposed to be a large salty in the area but we stood in the water for a pic and didn't see him (and we're still here to tell the tale). Salties grow up to 6m and weigh up to 1000kg. They're not something to mess with.

As for the rest ...

We've never had problems with our fuel - that we've purchased from a wide variety of locations (including a little garage in Normanton in FNQ, Kings Creek Station in Central Aus and other out-of-the-way places). We do change the filter regularly. You might consider taking an algaecide with you (link below), and if you're here in winter, make sure you get winterised fuel before heading into the alpine regions (generally eastern seaboard from Victoria up into the northern parts of NSW).

Multiple punctures are harder to deal with, I carry a puncture repair kit with me (standard sticky-cord+glue type) but that's useless on sidewalls. Carry a second spare, perhaps?

I can't help with campgrounds, other than to say the northern part of Australia seems to encourage more stories of troubles than the southern part, but we had no trouble in Alice, or FNQ. Further west is supposed to be a bit of an issue, I've been advised to replace my hitch pin with a lockable one (link below) because some young 'uns in Fitzroy Crossing were replacing them with sticks.

And for parts ... we were in Bathurst with a cracked head and used eBay to find one that fit the motor, then contacted the seller who sent it that day, express post, and it arrived a couple of days later. I really don't think there's an issue with parts anywhere, any more. The internet is your friend, and if you're struggling, pop a thread in this forum and we'll see if we can find an answer.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...el-fuel-treatment-biocide-1-litre/598865.html
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...reese-hitch-pin-lockable-straight/343489.html

The drop bear or Thylarctos plummetus are big suckers by all accounts, 120kg in weight, 90cm at the shoulder and an apex carnovore. They are becoming rare now though, as due to scarcity from the bush fires the Yowies are eating them. In turn the Yowies aren't such a problem either, ever since the big cats have been predating on them. Strangely they don't seem to be a problem either (big cats), as whenever they get close enough for clear unambiguous pic, they morph into moggies lol. It's only when they're distant and blurry that they turn back into big cats lol.
Hmmmm... I'll definitely keep an eye open for the drop bears. Are they related to Florida's skunk apes. Sounds like they might be.

The Box Jellyfish is a problem, yes, it's a nasty critter, if they're about then you just don't. You're lucky to have never seen a snake, I live in a small rural town and we have the buggers trying to get into our houses! We head out of town and they're everywhere.

Crocs are a problem in certain areas. We went to Karumba (bottom edge of the Gulf of Carpentaria) and there was supposed to be a large salty in the area but we stood in the water for a pic and didn't see him (and we're still here to tell the tale). Salties grow up to 6m and weigh up to 1000kg. They're not something to mess with.

As for the rest ...

We've never had problems with our fuel - that we've purchased from a wide variety of locations (including a little garage in Normanton in FNQ, Kings Creek Station in Central Aus and other out-of-the-way places). We do change the filter regularly. You might consider taking an algaecide with you (link below), and if you're here in winter, make sure you get winterised fuel before heading into the alpine regions (generally eastern seaboard from Victoria up into the northern parts of NSW).

Multiple punctures are harder to deal with, I carry a puncture repair kit with me (standard sticky-cord+glue type) but that's useless on sidewalls. Carry a second spare, perhaps?

I can't help with campgrounds, other than to say the northern part of Australia seems to encourage more stories of troubles than the southern part, but we had no trouble in Alice, or FNQ. Further west is supposed to be a bit of an issue, I've been advised to replace my hitch pin with a lockable one (link below) because some young 'uns in Fitzroy Crossing were replacing them with sticks.

And for parts ... we were in Bathurst with a cracked head and used eBay to find one that fit the motor, then contacted the seller who sent it that day, express post, and it arrived a couple of days later. I really don't think there's an issue with parts anywhere, any more. The internet is your friend, and if you're struggling, pop a thread in this forum and we'll see if we can find an answer.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...el-fuel-treatment-biocide-1-litre/598865.html
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p...reese-hitch-pin-lockable-straight/343489.html

Hi. Thanks for this. I keep the hitch pin in the truck as I don't tow anything (as yet). I'm surprised that a biocide would be needed as the diesel will be constantly turning over as new fuel is added. Interesting. Another rabbit hole to disappear into! My next concern is safe and successful navigation. Don't get me wrong, we're not intending to do the Canning Stock route, but North Van Diemens land beckons and the Kimberly, so I'm researching and contemplating a Hema HX-1 Navigator unless you or someone else has other ideas or suggestions...
I have rated recovery (not snatch) straps, a tow rope, rated shackles, an ARB tyre repair kit, and a decent air compressor. I'll be getting recovery points fitted on arrival in Aus as they're impossible to source up here in the UK at less than about $600 (Aus)! I'm undecided about fitting a winch as I don't intend to be that adventurous, though I do need to buy a snatch ring still. There is much to consider. All advice and suggestions gratefully received!
Cheers.

Hmmmm... I'll definitely keep an eye open for the drop bears. Are they related to Florida's skunk apes. Sounds like they might be.
More similar to the "chupacabra" I think lol. The Skunk Ape is one of the few mythical creatures that could have a plausible basis, at least as a source of the stories, via escaped Orang Utans from any number of private menageries. Only take one or two, then the mythology takes off from there and people start seeing "skunk apes" everywhere lol.

North Van Diemens land beckons
Tassie is a beautiful place. Hobart is probably the nicest, most relaxed largish city/ state capital city I've ever been to (anywhere). If you get over to Pieman River area keep on the alert for Tassie Tigers lol.

If you're solo without a winch and heading into difficult terrain you're asking for trouble. That said, a winch adds 40kg to the vehicle so keep that in mind ...

If you are going to go solo, and NOT enter difficult terrain, you should still consider some form of communication that can help you. Traditionally this has been an "epirb" (emergency position indicating radio beacon). In the future you could use a smartphone and an internet service like Starlink or Oneweb, but Oneweb hasn't launched yet and while Starlink has (and we have a working Starlink), you can't immediately apply for a "roaming" account yet (it needs a fixed address).

You might be refreshing your tanks regularly, but you don't know about the tanks from the place you're buying from, particularly in remote areas - that's why I suggested biocide. You might be fine without it, but I'd carry a spare fuel filter just in case.

Navigation ... to be honest, we have TWO navigation tools and they're both very affordable. Google maps (not joking) and "OSMAnd" (we purchased the latter, I think back when I bought it the cost was something like $5). On a laptop (with internet access), we plan a route on Google maps and use the "satellite" map (which is more current than street views) to look at the roads. Once we're happy with the route, we send it to our phone and we're done. Google maps will cache the information for the current route.

Failing Google Maps being available, OSMAnd is made from user-supplied information so it sometimes has info about tracks that Google doesn't. It does not have up-to-date satellite views like Google though, but it will show more info on screen than Google maps (like altitude, speed etc).

It is also very prudent to keep a close contact updated with your itinerary and when they should expect to hear from you next. This way, if something does go wrong, your contact can alert the authorities and provide them with your last known whereabouts and where you had planned to go next.

On communication, Europe probably has good mobile coverage but Aussie with large areas uninhabited you’ll find no mobile coverage at all in places off the beaten track and even patchy service on major highways between larger cities.

More similar to the "chupacabra" I think lol. The Skunk Ape is one of the few mythical creatures that could have a plausible basis, at least as a source of the stories, via escaped Orang Utans from any number of private menageries. Only take one or two, then the mythology takes off from there and people start seeing "skunk apes" everywhere lol.

Tassie is a beautiful place. Hobart is probably the nicest, most relaxed largish city/ state capital city I've ever been to (anywhere). If you get over to Pieman River area keep on the alert for Tassie Tigers lol.

Dammit! I meant Arnhem Land! I should have recognized my mistake as I do know the difference between the two! Nhulunbuy and parts to the North East. I know that permits must be had from the indigenous people who own the land.
Tasmania is on our list of to-dos however, as well. I understand there's a great foodie culture there. And I like fly fishing for trout... I'll fight any tiger that tries to interfere with my fishing! Back on the mainland, I'll defer to the crocs...

If you're solo without a winch and heading into difficult terrain you're asking for trouble. That said, a winch adds 40kg to the vehicle so keep that in mind ...

If you are going to go solo, and NOT enter difficult terrain, you should still consider some form of communication that can help you. Traditionally this has been an "epirb" (emergency position indicating radio beacon). In the future you could use a smartphone and an internet service like Starlink or Oneweb, but Oneweb hasn't launched yet and while Starlink has (and we have a working Starlink), you can't immediately apply for a "roaming" account yet (it needs a fixed address).

You might be refreshing your tanks regularly, but you don't know about the tanks from the place you're buying from, particularly in remote areas - that's why I suggested biocide. You might be fine without it, but I'd carry a spare fuel filter just in case.

Navigation ... to be honest, we have TWO navigation tools and they're both very affordable. Google maps (not joking) and "OSMAnd" (we purchased the latter, I think back when I bought it the cost was something like $5). On a laptop (with internet access), we plan a route on Google maps and use the "satellite" map (which is more current than street views) to look at the roads. Once we're happy with the route, we send it to our phone and we're done. Google maps will cache the information for the current route.

Failing Google Maps being available, OSMAnd is made from user-supplied information so it sometimes has info about tracks that Google doesn't. It does not have up-to-date satellite views like Google though, but it will show more info on screen than Google maps (like altitude, speed etc).

It is also very prudent to keep a close contact updated with your itinerary and when they should expect to hear from you next. This way, if something does go wrong, your contact can alert the authorities and provide them with your last known whereabouts and where you had planned to go next.

When we spent our month travelling from Darwin to Perth we did get an object lesson in the paucity of cellphone coverage in so many places, so an EPIRB is most definitely on our shopping list. We'll get that on arrival as I think there's a difference in suitability between one that might be used in the UK, and one for Aus. Plus, they're cheaper in Aus as are many things to do with off-roading!
To be honest, the UK is pretty poorly off, everything being imported from Aus, South Africa, and other rough and tough places with all the associated premiums attaching to specialist/specialised imports. If I told you how much my new Bushtec canopy is costing me...

The 'OsmAnd+' app is now fifty of your Aus dollars, but looks handy enough. I need to buy a new phone before we set sail as my ancient Android isn't even getting updates of any kind any more. I'll try to get a dual sim model and buy an Aus sim for day to day use. That's what we did on our previous trip. I'm a big fan of Google Maps, though there'll be places where it won't be of any use.

I have been contemplating a winch, but given that we don't intend to get into any winchworthy situations... I've looked at a load of Ronny Dahl's videos on Youtube just to get a flavour of what we might expect (and avoid) and as we're going solo we'll have no choice but to be extra careful.
Even having a winch might tempt us to take chances we're not qualified to take. We've zero experience of winches in any shape, form, or fashion and might be more likely to harm ourselves or others if we were to attempt to use one. As I posted, we have straps, winch rope, shackles (all properly rated) and will have a snatch ring packed so won't be asking other folk to wear their recovery kit out in case we need a pull out somewhere.

There are definitely advantages travelling in a group.

We don't even have a light bar, or bull bars, or vehicle body armour, extended range fuel tank, bulk water tank, etc, etc, ad infinitum.
If we lived permanently in Aus we'd go the whole hog, but this vehicle has to go back to the UK and do light duties for years to come. In fact, even bull bars are an issue in the UK ( Are Bull Bars Legal? ). We can't afford to convert our Navara into a full blown expedition beast on the strength of the one trip, so we'll just have to drive within our, and the vehicle's, capabilities and parameters whilst being as prepared as possible.

I'll certainly get the biocide. An ounce of prevention and all that. So much to consider...

Thank you for this. Much appreciated. I'll need to remember to keep it separate from my bottles of creme de menthe...

I have been looking at a load of pages regarding fuel additives, but mainly on the fuel economy subject, so you've given me yet another rabbit hole to disappear down into. Here's an early discovery of three mins ago which I'll share with you even tho' it's from 2011 and comes from the yachting fraternity...

https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/12-diesel-bug-treatments-tested-43353

Dammit! I meant Arnhem Land! I should have recognized my mistake as I do know the difference between the two! Nhulunbuy and parts to the North East. I know that permits must be had from the indigenous people who own the land.
Tasmania is on our list of to-dos however, as well. I understand there's a great foodie culture there. And I like fly fishing for trout... I'll fight any tiger that tries to interfere with my fishing! Back on the mainland, I'll defer to the crocs...
Yep, Tassie is worth it for the food alone. The best quality by far of anywhere in my travels.

Not sure a winch will be that necessary where you're going especially if staying on main tracks. That's a lot of trouble and expense to go to for one trip. It could help if you get thoroughly bogged, which could be a problem depending on when you go and how late the wet season is, but it would be more something to think about if you were exploring out of the way tracks, or going to the eastern and southern ranges IMO (which can be very steep, rough and wet/slippery). I usually take the view that (within reason) for your type of travel, the closer to factory you are, the more reliable your car will be. This, along with good tyres (and an extra spare) and being as light as possible is more important for remote/outback travel IMO. If you don't need it, don't take it.

Basic off road knowledge and some care are more important. Anyway, I've been stuck plenty of times completely alone before I had a winch, it just means you've got to use some ingenuity and find other ways to get out. Winching and even recovery straps are still things I look at as dangerous and an absolute last resort anyway. The most overlooked piece of recovery equipment is a shovel.

An epirb is a must though. You can usually get them from fishing/outdoors shops for 2-3 hundred bucks. It's worth registering them online with the rescue mob, you can even send them a rough itinerary when going really remote (can be done online). This will help them know what type of car to look for, how many people etc. should a rescue be necessary.

Some places hire sat phones, for example you can hire them between Mt Dare/ Birdsville for people doing the Simpson desert at reasonable cost. Not sure about Arnhem Land though.

OSmand is a good app, another one is Guru Maps which is excellent in the free version and both have surprising amount of remote tracks. Guru maps has (or at least mine has) most of the extras free (such as elevation, contour shading etc). Whichever you get it will need to be an "offline" navigation system due to lack of mobile coverage.

As to fuel additive I suppose it could be worthwhile to stop algae, though I've found that if you really get a bad batch of fuel there is only one cure (empty/clean the tank and fuel lines). Carrying at least one extra filter amongst your spares is a good idea. In fact a good range of spares (belts, hoses, a collection of clamps and fasteners at a minimum) is a necessity.

With reptiles, they are there (although becoming less common in many places sadly) though people mostly get nipped by being unlucky enough to tread on one or purposely getting too close. They will bolt in the opposite direction if you back off and give them room. It's only when they haven't got an escape route or people get too close that they feel threatened enough to have a go. We're not on their menu and messing with humans isn't in their interests, it's not a great survival strategy.

Exceptions to this rule (which I have seen a couple of times) would be so rare as to not be worth consideration. Those species (one was a small tiger, the other a large eastern brown, but they both had stripes) aren't up that way anyway. I'm glad I encountered them in an open area, wouldn't like to have been on a narrow bush track. This is also after many decades of frequenting places they are likely to be. A lot of people doing the one trip might never encounter one.

Some basic awareness is all you need, like looking where you're treading, being careful in long grasses (especially around water sources), that sort of thing. Snakes often find a place to sun themselves of a morning and bush tracks offer a great place for this. I have learnt from experience that if there's a log across the track, never step over it without having a look first! lol.

I almost stepped on this fella recently. He was just poking his head onto the track as I was in mid stride, another half step could have been interesting. We both got a fright and did a quick u-turn. Once I settled down I took a quick snap of him. A red belly, my favourite snake.

Have seen one flatten itself out and stand up like a cobra when provoked (taking the dog for a walk which sniffed it out). Looks awesome, especially if recently shed, with the shiny black and deep red colours. It had a few strikes at the dog on that particular occasion, before I could get it back on the lead, but it didn't even have its mouth open. They're well known for bluff strikes (though I wouldn't rely on that, I know people who have been tagged), their way of saying "if it's not altogether too much trouble, could you give me some room please old chap" lol .

On one trip we stopped at a camp and luckily the wife looked before stepping out of the car, as she would have trod on a beautiful highland copperhead laying in the shortish grass. Another beautiful and docile snake, the problem being that they're not so docile when you inadvertently step on one.

No doubt you're aware about dangers of wading the creeks and rivers up that way before you cross. It's an area where "if you can't walk it don't drive it" doesn't apply the way it does further south.

With some common sense you'll have a great time and no problems at all, like the millions of others who successfully get around the place each year.

Having encountered bears in the wild in the US, I always get bemused when they worry about the wildlife in Aus. I'll take our creepy crawlies any day and at least our big cats are only in zoos, or imaginary lol.

Then again, I know people who have been on walking treks through the reserves in southern Africa. While obviously safe enough, they have more guts than I ever will lol.

IMG_0035.JPG

Last edited:
So... definitely have got the shovel. An original all metal NATO issue folding model which converts nicely into a right-angled hoe/adze configuration and is as tough as anything.
I will be buying a pair of recovery tracks. An EPIRB is also on the must-have shopping list. I'm bringing along a two foot stick to poke snakes with... No, I do realise that most snakebites in N. America are because folk will insist on interfering with snakes instead of just going around them (or backing off). I'll also be very circumspect in areas where there are saltwater crocs, including the freshwater parts that they like to frequent. If I was at my own Mac as opposed to using an old laptop while visiting in Ireland right now I'd post my trophy close-up pic of a Floridian Everglades cottonmouth in open/gape mode.

I'm going to have to do a deep dive into navigation apps and gadgets. There appear to be quite a few choices. Contour maps would be my preference as I'm used to them and enjoy the detail.

I'm trying to compile a list of spares that I should carry. A fuel filter is on it, as is a spare air filter, jubilee clips, and appropriate hoses. Something about a cam belt or timing belt springs to mind, but I can't be sure which. Any further suggestions would be most welcome...

A serpentine belt (fan belt) should be on the list. A bottle of radiator repair stuff too - now, I've used K-Seal:

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/k-seal-k-seal-coolant-leak-repair---236ml/357729.html
it's excellent stuff, sealed the leak in my radiator in seconds. However, it's not supposed to fix large leaks, and at the Bathurst 6 Hour I was talking to one of the owners of several high performance cars (I'm talking about Porsches and Ferraris) recommended this:

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/rislone-rislone-liquid-copper-block-seal---510g/290751.html
and claimed that he not only used it all the time (constantly) but it could seal up rather large cracks or splits and do such a good job that it allowed a race car to finish a race (so we're not talking about a Sunday drive somewhere, we are talking about revving the living shit out of the engine constantly).

Personally I believe the guy, I just haven't bought any yet, but I do know the K-Seal bottle is quite small in comparison, so if space may be an issue, K-Seal would be the way to go.

I'd probably also take a roll of silicone rescue tape, some duct tape, some electrical tape, I sometimes have a soldering iron with me too (although that's on the bike at the moment because of the suspect alternator).

Looks like you have many undecided adventures ahead.

If I was looking at doing your trip out here I would look at the following gear.
Bullbar and driving lights.
Its an easy bolt up and you are able to sell it before leaving
That would then provide mounts for you UHF and mobile antennas.
It will also provide some protection from the wild life here.
Air, fuel and oil filters are a must, so is a second set of belts.
A quality tool set to be able to maintain your vehicle.
I only ever run 1 spare, however I do carry a puncture repair kit and a quality compressor. Quality tires are a must, built for the conditions you will facing.
One thing that is constantly over looked is the correct vehicle insurance for where you are travelling.
Lots of water in with the spares too, 10ltrs a person minimum when off the main Hwys.

And the biggest thing out here is networking, plenty of people are up for shorter trips and are happy to meet up.
Just make sure you know how to light a fire and keep drinks cold.

Happy travelling

A serpentine belt (fan belt) should be on the list. A bottle of radiator repair stuff too - now, I've used K-Seal:

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/k-seal-k-seal-coolant-leak-repair---236ml/357729.html
it's excellent stuff, sealed the leak in my radiator in seconds. However, it's not supposed to fix large leaks, and at the Bathurst 6 Hour I was talking to one of the owners of several high performance cars (I'm talking about Porsches and Ferraris) recommended this:

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/rislone-rislone-liquid-copper-block-seal---510g/290751.html
and claimed that he not only used it all the time (constantly) but it could seal up rather large cracks or splits and do such a good job that it allowed a race car to finish a race (so we're not talking about a Sunday drive somewhere, we are talking about revving the living shit out of the engine constantly).

Personally I believe the guy, I just haven't bought any yet, but I do know the K-Seal bottle is quite small in comparison, so if space may be an issue, K-Seal would be the way to go.

I'd probably also take a roll of silicone rescue tape, some duct tape, some electrical tape, I sometimes have a soldering iron with me too (although that's on the bike at the moment because of the suspect alternator).

A month in Ireland, with dial up speeds, later...

Hi Tony,
duct tape is permanently in the vehicle, as are jump leads. I ran the battery down to nowt, listening to the radio, while waiting 3 hours to board the ferry at Dublin. I was glad to have them!
Small bottles of stuff are good, tho' my bottle of Tabasco is 250mls and there'll be 2 of those! A kind contributor has suggested a list of spares (hoses, clips, belts, etc.) so I'll be getting those. I have absolutely no doubt that the list will, like Topsy, grow and grow...
Amusingly, the solenoid (?) pin that withdraws to allow the fuel flap to ping open failed to function. Luckily I had enough fuel to get to my rural Irish pad and call roadside assistance. 2 hours of work and we found that the pin works when powered, and the fuses are fine, so it's a break in the wiring somewhere twixt switch and pin. The flap is currently duct-taped shut and the pin and its cover are in the boot ready to be sorted on Monday, under warranty.
Please keep advising and suggesting as it's all gold to me and I am taking notes and making lists! Many thanks.

Looks like you have many undecided adventures ahead.

If I was looking at doing your trip out here I would look at the following gear.
Bullbar and driving lights.
Its an easy bolt up and you are able to sell it before leaving
That would then provide mounts for you UHF and mobile antennas.
It will also provide some protection from the wild life here.
Air, fuel and oil filters are a must, so is a second set of belts.
A quality tool set to be able to maintain your vehicle.
I only ever run 1 spare, however I do carry a puncture repair kit and a quality compressor. Quality tires are a must, built for the conditions you will facing.
One thing that is constantly over looked is the correct vehicle insurance for where you are travelling.
Lots of water in with the spares too, 10ltrs a person minimum when off the main Hwys.

And the biggest thing out here is networking, plenty of people are up for shorter trips and are happy to meet up.
Just make sure you know how to light a fire and keep drinks cold.

Happy travelling

Hi Damian. Apologies for the delay in responding. I've been in rural Ireland limping along on an old and ropy Windows Vista laptop and nearly dial-up speed connection. Sigh.
Thank you for your suggestions; I've been considering bullbar and radio (and will get an EPIRB). The list of spares has been written onto the shopping list with added clips for the sizes of my hoses. and I already have the puncture repair kit and compressor, along with recovery straps, soft tow rope (UHMWPE, 13,500KG) and rated shackles. A couple of shovels, and a decent socket set as well as a decent smaller sized socket and screwdriver set. As I posted somewhere earlier, I've not got a snatch strap or snatch ring yet. Recovery points are on my to-do list as well.

I most definitely need info on what insurance would be best, and from whom. No firm here knows enough to even open any kind discussion on a multi-month Australian trip. Any and all advice would be extremely welcome!

Water will be carried, lots of it. And I love lighting fires, where it's safe and legal to do so. On my month's Aus trip a few yrs ago,I did see a party of non-Aussies, at a free campsite, lighting a fire when there were clear notices forbidding fires. I mentioned that rangers or police would fine the sh1t outta them if they were caught and they doused it. I'd hate to be the cause of a bush fire...
I'll keep the drinks cold by wrapping them in wet toilet paper and hanging them out of the window while driving using evaporative cooling...
...or just use the 60 litre fridge/freezer behind the back seat! ;)
As I said to Old Tony, please keep the suggestions and advice coming. It's all good and very much appreciated. Many thanks.

Latest posts

Back