New D22 owner

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJM683

NF Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gday all.

Happy to join the ranks!
Recently swapped my 2017 Elantra for a 2012 D22 ST-R. Have added $1400 of stereo including an Apple CarPlay deck and twin 10” comp subs, a GME UHF, and some TLC. She already had King’s LED spots, as well as genuine alloy bull bar, tow bar, tub liner and snorkel.
Ordered shocks, tonneau cover, steering stuff, gear lever bushes, tow points, an iDrive, 3” turbo back, 16x8 P20 D-hole rims, bendix pads and shoes, and more 🙄.

Had a D40 ST-X manual bought new in 2008.
10 years Nissan mechanic experience, but not in the last 6 years.
Currently workshop controller/ Hyundai master tech of one workshop at a large rural dealership, 16.5 years since I started with Nissan, Hyundai and Subaru.

Cheers!

Thanks guys. I’m certainly happy to help but haven’t been around Nissans for a few years now! Slowly learning again 😂
Have fitted a bash plate, front and rear tow points, new air con belt (other 3 belts done last week), gear shift bushes and front diff oil in the last 24 hours.
2” raised leaf springs at work, waiting for bush kit to arrive. New shocks, brakes, steering idler all sitting and waiting. Wheels still haven’t arrived at the tyre shop. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Gday all.

Happy to join the ranks!
Recently swapped my 2017 Elantra for a 2012 D22 ST-R. Have added $1400 of stereo including an Apple CarPlay deck and twin 10” comp subs, a GME UHF, and some TLC. She already had King’s LED spots, as well as genuine alloy bull bar, tow bar, tub liner and snorkel.
Ordered shocks, tonneau cover, steering stuff, gear lever bushes, tow points, an iDrive, 3” turbo back, 16x8 P20 D-hole rims, bendix pads and shoes, and more 🙄.

Had a D40 ST-X manual bought new in 2008.
10 years Nissan mechanic experience, but not in the last 6 years.
Currently workshop controller/ Hyundai master tech of one workshop at a large rural dealership, 16.5 years since I started with Nissan, Hyundai and Subaru.

Cheers!
Hey mate can you list details on the rims you used and where to get them please. Also will they go on standard height D22 Nav? Thank man 🙂

Hey mate can you list details on the rims you used and where to get them please. Also will they go on standard height D22 Nav? Thank man 🙂
They should fit standard height. Factory alloy wheels are 16x8" with a pos40 offset.

The wheels he's said he's using are a 16x8" with a pos20 offset. This means the wheels will sit 20mm further out from the hub face towards the outside of the vehicle. The only issue you may have with stock height at full steering lock they might be close to the flares when off-road flexing the front suspension. That would be the only thing to check, but will be easy to tell if they are going to hit.

They should fit standard height. Factory alloy wheels are 16x8" with a pos40 offset.

The wheels he's said he's using are a 16x8" with a pos20 offset. This means the wheels will sit 20mm further out from the hub face towards the outside of the vehicle. The only issue you may have with stock height at full steering lock they might be close to the flares when off-road flexing the front suspension. That would be the only thing to check, but will be easy to tell if they are going to hit.
Oh cool, I might go with standard 40 offset as I don't want to have to deal with those issues haha. Cheers

New shocks and steering idler in. Did another alignment but there’s a little play in the steering link (so ordered one of those too 🙄). Replaced all other drive line oils. LED bulbs in everything except headlights and indicators now.
Fitted an IDrive throttle controller- not bad!

Good stuff. If you replace the indicators with leds (I did it to mine) jaycar sell a japanese spec 3 pin led flasher relay for about $15. I got one for mine off eBay years ago now and never had a drama but still paid around that anyway. I used the jw speaker led replacement globes (eventually, tried crappy chinese ones first that weren't bright at all) and found them really good. I don't think I've got any photos floating around after I did them, but I've sold it now so can't get any more anyway. The rear indicator lights were the biggest issue with the cheap orange led globes being not very bright, but the jw speaker ones were at least as bright as the factory filament globes. I'm not sure on the jaycar relay, but with the one I got for mine I had to leave the filament t10s in the side markers otherwise the indicators flashed really slowly.

I've done the same sort of thing to the GU patrol I have now, same jw speaker globes, but used an adjustable relay off eBay (again, didn't realise jaycar had them on the shelf until afterwards), plus I had to modify the relay plug as 2 wires are around the wrong way, hence the jap spec relay, pins are correct). They are really good too, I've converted the factory pretend lights so they work and have an orange led behind the red lense and it actually works pretty well... Plenty bright enough anyway.

Good stuff. If you replace the indicators with leds (I did it to mine) jaycar sell a japanese spec 3 pin led flasher relay for about $15. I got one for mine off eBay years ago now and never had a drama but still paid around that anyway. I used the jw speaker led replacement globes (eventually, tried crappy chinese ones first that weren't bright at all) and found them really good. I don't think I've got any photos floating around after I did them, but I've sold it now so can't get any more anyway. The rear indicator lights were the biggest issue with the cheap orange led globes being not very bright, but the jw speaker ones were at least as bright as the factory filament globes. I'm not sure on the jaycar relay, but with the one I got for mine I had to leave the filament t10s in the side markers otherwise the indicators flashed really slowly.

I've done the same sort of thing to the GU patrol I have now, same jw speaker globes, but used an adjustable relay off eBay (again, didn't realise jaycar had them on the shelf until afterwards), plus I had to modify the relay plug as 2 wires are around the wrong way, hence the jap spec relay, pins are correct). They are really good too, I've converted the factory pretend lights so they work and have an orange led behind the red lense and it actually works pretty well... Plenty bright enough anyway.

Thank you for that! I likely won’t bother with the stop/tail or the indicators as they’re colored lenses anyway. The headlamps will likely stay halogen - I have a bit of a passion for lightning as well as staying as legal as possible. Half the reason I got the 4WD is so wankers with fog lights on don’t hit me in the eyes anymore, and my King’s 9” LED spots let people know if their cheap or poorly adjusted low beams are too bright 😇🤣

I know what you mean. The main reason I did them was because the rear lights are a pain to get out, especially with a tub liner in, so being led they tend to last a lot longer than the filament ones, so not pulling stuff apart as often is awesome lol.

I know what you mean. The main reason I did them was because the rear lights are a pain to get out, especially with a tub liner in, so being led they tend to last a lot longer than the filament ones, so not pulling stuff apart as often is awesome lol.

Same reason I was considering it, but I’ve gone narva so far, around $30/pair. All adding up lol. Indicators for rear are “invisible”blue which flash orange. Reverse will be LED, probably eBay projector bulbs though...

Rear springs in last night, tough dog 2” 0-300kg constant load. Quite comfy and feels like it handles better if anything!
Wound the front up to suit, then adjusted the headlights. Will replace the steering link, front brakes and wheel bearings tomorrow, then an alignment Friday 😁

Attachments

• E23CFFE7-E3A0-452C-99BF-D8163BDCF61B.jpeg
    E23CFFE7-E3A0-452C-99BF-D8163BDCF61B.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Still haven’t done the brakes. Steering link, idler, belts, Narva LED H4’s in the lights, and a TJM rear bar now on. 😁

Attachments

• 47BF6763-999D-43CF-BB23-A4FCC43D0E0E.jpeg
    47BF6763-999D-43CF-BB23-A4FCC43D0E0E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
3” exhaust went on last Tuesday. Bit more mid range and lower spool up. I got the DEA brand turbo back with cat and muffler. I love the subtle sound, I’m not 18 anymore 🤣
About 2.5 hours including smoko and cleaning up (yes I had a hoist and yes I have Nissan experience).
Also sprayed the inside panel under the rear window behind the back seat with sound deadener, there was quite a lot of vibration from the kicker twins lol

Thanks guys. I’m certainly happy to help but haven’t been around Nissans for a few years now! Slowly learning again 😂
Have fitted a bash plate, front and rear tow points, new air con belt (other 3 belts done last week), gear shift bushes and front diff oil in the last 24 hours.
2” raised leaf springs at work, waiting for bush kit to arrive. New shocks, brakes, steering idler all sitting and waiting. Wheels still haven’t arrived at the tyre shop. 🤷🏼‍♂️
See you have a lift kit, just got pinged on NSW roadworthy for extended shackles do you have blocks or shackles and are blocks legal as have some here.

I bought lifted rear springs, as mine were sagged anyway.
I know extended shackles are illegal here, and I think blocks are also.
The only illegal mod I know I have is the Narva LED H4 upgrade, but I also aligned them even lower than legal spec on our aimer at work... 🤷🏼‍♂️

I bought lifted rear springs, as mine were sagged anyway.
I know extended shackles are illegal here, and I think blocks are also.
The only illegal mod I know I have is the Narva LED H4 upgrade, but I also aligned them even lower than legal spec on our aimer at work... 🤷🏼‍♂️
Yeah the springs on now are fairly high and have three overload leaves so not really an issue yet but could be when I start putting load on, the extended shackles appear to be part of an ironman system that was on a car here but it was VIC rego so wouldn't be picked up but the blocks were on a NSW vehicle and are now on another NSW vehicle which had both passed roadworthies, maybe just weren't noticed?
The Ironman springs were flat and had to be cut off at the front.

Latest posts

Back