Need some help with Water Temp sensor & Oil Pressure sensor

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy

Reaction score
Hey guys

I've just bought 2 double gauges to do my EGT, Boost, Water temp and Oil pressure. EGT and Boost I'm all over, but I naively assumed that the Water Temp/Oil Pressure gauge would come with everything I needed to fit just like the EGT/Boost one.

I'm doing googling, I've searched on here, I can't seem to find anything clear enough about what I need to go out and get specifically for my ZD30 D22. I intend to mount the pods and gauges tomorrow, will just bag and zip tie the extra sensors up until they're good to go.

What have you guys done for Water Temp and Oil Pressure?

Cheers.

The temp gauges I have had have always had a sender that goes in the top radiator hose. So that you don't end up with a dash gauge that doesn't do anything if you replace the sender for one that works with a specific gauge, or that still works if you wish to remove the extra gauge.

Not sure about the oil pressure sender, the one on the motor seems to be either on or off, more a switch than something that will read pressure via a signal to a gauge (could be wrong about that though).

You might have to find out what type of senders your brand of gauges are supposed to work with.

The temp gauges I have had have always had a sender that goes in the top radiator hose. So that you don't end up with a dash gauge that doesn't do anything if you replace the sender for one that works with a specific gauge, or that still works if you wish to remove the extra gauge.

Not sure about the oil pressure sender, the one on the motor seems to be either on or off, more a switch than something that will read pressure via a signal to a gauge (could be wrong about that though).

You might have to find out what type of senders your brand of gauges are supposed to work with.

Sorry mate I should have said they came with senders. I think they match the factory ones but I definatly don't want to remove any of the factory sensors.

I can see in the little install manual that they recommend top rad hose with an adapter, just nervous about that due to the pressures involved lol

Sorry mate I should have said they came with senders. I think they match the factory ones but I definatly don't want to remove any of the factory sensors.

I can see in the little install manual that they recommend top rad hose with an adapter, just nervous about that due to the pressures involved lol
Nah, it's all good, try the factory sender first but it seems unlikely it will work. If you don't want to change it Supercheap has 34mm aluminium radiator hose adaptors that take a standard sensor. They seem fine, coolant system pressure is only about 15 psi, some good quality stainless steel clamps and you shouldn't have any problems.

Not sure about the oil pressure sender. Afaik the factory one is either off or on, more so than something that allows a variable analogue signal to run a gauge. You might have to change it (though not certain about that) which isn't a big deal apart from being a pain to get to. Also afaik removing the original wire won't have the warning light illuminate, if you remove that wire the light should never illuminate.

Not sure about the oil pressure sender. Afaik the factory one is either off or on, more so than something that allows a variable analogue signal to run a gauge. You might have to change it (though not certain about that) which isn't a big deal apart from being a pain to get to. Also afaik removing the original wire won't have the warning light illuminate, if you remove that wire the light should never illuminate.

I did see those hose adapters, if its only 15psi I feel far more comfortable about that.

Interesting about the oil sensor. I would have assumed removing the factory sensor would have caused all sorts of issues. I guess if that'll work I'll go that route - at least then I'll see what its doing rather than waiting for something to go wrong.

Thanks heaps for the info mate!

I did see those hose adapters, if its only 15psi I feel far more comfortable about that.

Interesting about the oil sensor. I would have assumed removing the factory sensor would have caused all sorts of issues. I guess if that'll work I'll go that route - at least then I'll see what its doing rather than waiting for something to go wrong.

Thanks heaps for the info mate!
Yeah, had the oil sender pack it in a while back. Only noticed because it wasn't illuminating at (cold) start up where it usually takes a few seconds or so to build up pressure before it goes out. Taking the wire off does the same thing, shouldn't make any difference to the computer or anything. Keep your old sender if you change it, so you can put it back if you want to for any reason.

Latest posts

Back