Navara V9X Starting and Power Issues

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supermike

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to this forum although I have read a lot of posts without registering to help my diagnose faults with my Navara. However this latest fault has got me stumped.

I have a 2014 Navara 3.0 V6 V9X with around 80k miles on it.

So went out this morning in the Navara everything fine, just a short trip down to my mother in law's - around 3 miles. Turn off the truck and come back 5 minutes later, try to start the truck it starts fine initially then starts to run rough then dies - this happens with in about 5 seconds of starting. Eventually got the truck to stay started by pressing the accelerator pedal, then idled fine and wasn't rough, then here's the kicker, no turbo at all. Eventually got back home, turned truck off, started again no problem and idled but still no turbo. Turned it back off, left it 10 mins went back out to start it now I can't get it started it offers and when I press the accelerator it almost starts. Anyone seen or had similar issues before?

It sounds like it could be several things at once, and when fixing those something else will pop up - so the first thing you really need to do is clean the battery terminals and clean the earth connection to the engine block.

The 2014 V9X should have had an electronic turbo actuator (if it still uses vacuum I'd be surprised, but if it did I'd be looking at the vac hoses for the loss of turbo power first, then examining the turbo afterwards). Loss of a turbocharger (or its control) will NOT stop the engine from starting, however - you are likely to have a second problem as well (if your battery terminals etc are clean). You might consider priming the fuel system (primer bulb is in the fuel line and should be near the fuel filter). If you have to squeeze the primer bulb more than 4-5 times before it goes firm, you may have a leak which is allowing air into the system and then allowing the fuel to run back to the tank. Do NOT try starting the motor in this situation, the fuel pump relies on diesel fuel to lubricate its internals.

If your primer does need too many squeezes, it could be a cracked fuel line, or it might just be something as simple as the water sensor not being fitted into the filter properly (has happened to me).

My first suspect though, is a poor electrical connection. It's also free to fix! Just prime the fuel system no matter what you try (also free).

It sounds like it could be several things at once, and when fixing those something else will pop up - so the first thing you really need to do is clean the battery terminals and clean the earth connection to the engine block.

The 2014 V9X should have had an electronic turbo actuator (if it still uses vacuum I'd be surprised, but if it did I'd be looking at the vac hoses for the loss of turbo power first, then examining the turbo afterwards). Loss of a turbocharger (or its control) will NOT stop the engine from starting, however - you are likely to have a second problem as well (if your battery terminals etc are clean). You might consider priming the fuel system (primer bulb is in the fuel line and should be near the fuel filter). If you have to squeeze the primer bulb more than 4-5 times before it goes firm, you may have a leak which is allowing air into the system and then allowing the fuel to run back to the tank. Do NOT try starting the motor in this situation, the fuel pump relies on diesel fuel to lubricate its internals.

If your primer does need too many squeezes, it could be a cracked fuel line, or it might just be something as simple as the water sensor not being fitted into the filter properly (has happened to me).

My first suspect though, is a poor electrical connection. It's also free to fix! Just prime the fuel system no matter what you try (also free).

Thanks for coming back to me. I was trying to think would could cause both issues! wasn't being logical in thinking could just be 2 separate issues. Should of mentioned that when it was started and idling smoothly that there was no smoke either, white, blue or black even with no turbo! No strange noises either, and also no warning lights on the dash, was going to plug it diagnostics to get live readings but can't get it to start. Tried again last night, it fired and idled for around 3 seconds then died and can't get it to start again. Will check the fuel filter, maybe gelled up since it's into negative C here now during the night

Just to clarify, the V9x did have a vacuum driven turbo actuator rather than electronic.

On the fuel priming, it doesn't have an integrated primer bulb, you would need to use the separate pump which is normally behind the back seats with the rest of the tools.

I would suspect a fuelling issue, do you know if the fuel filter had ever been replaced? They are expensive so that might have been skipped at service.

Just to clarify, the V9x did have a vacuum driven turbo actuator rather than electronic.

On the fuel priming, it doesn't have an integrated primer bulb, you would need to use the separate pump which is normally behind the back seats with the rest of the tools.

I would suspect a fuelling issue, do you know if the fuel filter had ever been replaced? They are expensive so that might have been skipped at service.
Good shout, probably hasn't been. I'm leaning towards both of your comments. Sounds like a fuel issue, don't know if lower fuel pressure would cause the no boost? Safety feature or something? Truck revs (when it was started) all the way through rev range but obviously very slow. Will keep you all updated with my findings

When was the last time you filled up. If only 1-2 days before, It could also be a fueling issue from contaminated diesel

Had a similar problem, turned out it was an almost dead glow plug (#5) also caused vehicle to go into limp mode occasionally Get an auto electrician with the PROPER diagnostic gadget to check your car, damn cheaper than going to a dealer. Glows off Ebay was $180, mechanic wanted $1000.
Also check you SCV (Suction Control Valve)

Sorry guys. Been busy with work and house. Got my new fuel filter so going to bang that on tomorrow morning and see how we go. Might also clean the EGR while I'm at it. Just put diesel in it a few days before this happened. The weird thing was how quickly it happened. 5 minutes before it started and drove fine, stopped for 10 mins the boom truck dead! Hopefully I can get it started for long enough so get diagnostics on it for live readings

New filter is fitted! Can't get the damn thing bled though as I have no hose to stick on the other end of the hand primer! Gutted, looks like I'll need to wait until tomorrow to get a bit of hose to prime it up. Tried a bit of garden hose and yea well turns out it didn't seal too well. Might have to give the engine bay a quick wipe....

TomR - you might be into something here. Got the filter bled just now, truck started and ran better for longer then hesitates and cuts out. EML on this time, so got the diagnostics on it. P0488, Exhaust Gas Recirc Throttle Position Control Range / Performance

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201207-125527.png
    Screenshot_20201207-125527.png
    148.5 KB · Views: 31
Have you tried clearing code and then restarting? Another thing might be to clear the code, turn off and remove key, disconnect the battery for at least an hour, reconnect and restart? (it costs nothing and the alternative starts getting expensive)
V9X surging and powerloss fault P0488

Last edited:
Have you tried clearing code and then restarting? Another thing might be to clear the code, turn off and remove key, disconnect the battery for at least an hour, reconnect and restart? (it costs nothing and the alternative starts getting expensive)
V9X surging and powerloss fault P0488
Yea, cleared the code and restarted. Same issue and same code. I do a lot of short journeys so my guess is the EGR is clogged

Sounds like you need to install a catch can ,it will stop the inlet getting clogged
A catch can? For the EGR? Or we talking about an oil catch can here? I fit them to all my older petrol cars but never done one on a diesel. Thinking about it, it makes sense. Oil vapours going into the inlet, carbon from exhaust = very good clogging paste! I'll hopefully get the EGR ripped off today if I can get away from work that is.

Catch cans are needed on diesels just as much as on petrol engines. The amount of blow-by is astonishing, disconnect the hose from the air intake (just in front of the turbocharger, and block the inlet to prevent dirt from getting sucked in), start the car and check it out.

Catch cans are needed on diesels just as much as on petrol engines. The amount of blow-by is astonishing, disconnect the hose from the air intake (just in front of the turbocharger, and block the inlet to prevent dirt from getting sucked in), start the car and check it out.
I'll give this a bash as soon as it stop raining up here in Scotland. Yes it does actually stop raining here, just not very often... And to insult to injury the old MG ZS (wife's track day car and my spare run around) just blew a power steering pipe again. Jobs are forming by the minute....

Well, managed to get out to get some bits and pieces removed. Looking like the EGR is well and truly chocked!

Attachments

• DSC_0196.JPG
    DSC_0196.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
  • DSC_0197.JPG
    DSC_0197.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0204.JPG
    DSC_0204.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
  • DSC_0205.JPG
    DSC_0205.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 26
Good news, I have got a temporary fix in place which has allowed me to at least get the truck started and moved back to my driveway. Made up a blank from stainless steel and bolted it on the link pipe, so truck doesn't get chocked with exhaust gases and starts. Engine management light reset and stayed off for a good while. What I did notice is that I have very little boost low down the revs, once above 3k I seem to get almost full boost but I haven't checked the live readings yet. So to me it would seem I'm not in limp mode, but have another issue relating to the boost. I'm thinking either, vac pump, vac leak or vac control valve problem.

Latest posts

Back