Navara not starting

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cooper_coop

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having an issue with my 2008 d22 yd25. I was driving home one night and found the ute blowing a small amount of white smoke, stopped and checked it out and after a few minutes it went away. a few days later the ute was getting hard to start I had to give it some gas to keep it going until it got worm. after a few weeks of this happening it would not start at all.

I have changed a hole bunch of parts and it still will not start, items changed include

Fuel pump
Injectors
fuel rail dump valve
Fuel pressure sensor
Cam sensor
Crank sensor
fuel filter
Double row timing chain upgrade

my mechanic also changed the ECU without any change. I am now at the point if it does not start I will part it out.
has anyone had this issue? does anyone have any clue what could be wrong?

Wow. That's an extensive - and expensive - list of things to change!

White/grey smoke generally indicates overfuelling to the point where combustion just isn't occurring. Black smoke is overfuelling with partial combustion, but if the fire goes out, the smoke goes white. Let's try a couple of things - diesels are actually pretty simple beasties. With air in the cylinder (even with NO turbo running, like at idle) if a small amount of fuel gets in there and gets compressed it'll fire. Mine fires even without allowing the glows to warm properly.

First, pump the primer to make sure the fuel system is ready. It should take no more than about 4-5 pumps to make the bulb really firm.

Now, try cranking it over (don't forget the heat switch). Just a few seconds (no more than 5, say) of cranking and stop. Head for the exhaust (if the car's not running) and smell it. Diesel? Okay, so fuel's getting in, but possibly no air? One person rocked up at our Nissan dealer with similar symptoms and they were stuck for a solution until they realised the grill on their snorkel was missing. Further investigation revealed that the air intake was blocked near the elbow that passes in through the guard to the airbox (which you could NOT see unless you took it all apart) - by an owl that had flown into the air intake. You might want to check your entire air path!

Also worth checking is the power to the glow plugs, just to be sure they come "alive" when you turn 'em on.

I doubt it's the turbo. Unless there's a blockage in the turbo itself, there's enough room through the impeller for enough air to allow idle-speed combustion. Intercooler might be blocked though, these do get oil in them (from PCV blow-by which is fed into the air pipe just before the turbo) and occasional cleaning is warranted. I clean mine about every 50,000km. Catch cans reduce the amount of oil reaching the intercooler but don't eliminate it.

You might also (if you have one and haven't had success with the above) use an inspection camera inside the intake manifold. Undo the pipe between the intake manifold and the intercooler and pass the camera in, look for clumps of gunk. The intake manifold not only gets the oil that passes through the intercooler, but also gets soot from the EGR, resulting in a black clumpy mess that would be very much like smoking 5 packs of cigarettes a day and still trying to ride the Tour de France.

Your car is old enough to just block the EGR (no flow sensor) which would remove any particulates from entering the intake manifold and ridding you of this problem forever.

There's a few things to look at, anyway. Keep us informed!

white smoke is diesel or oil evaporating instead of burning.
common causes is turbo failure or excessive crank pressure pushing oil out the turbo seals. oil evaporates inside the exhaust.
it also can be if injection timing is way way out (like the timing chain skipped a few teeth).

check the basics. compression check. if it hasn't got enough compression its not going to start.
fuel, is it actually injecting fuel.
is it getting air. check the turbo is not seized. any inlet butterfly is open.
check glows are getting voltage.

didnt accidently put some petrol in , diesel and petrol have different gravitational weight one floats over the other could be trying to start on straight petrol,,, normally you would get away with some contamination because fuel mixes as you travel mine handled 6 ltrs in a full tank

I have a 2007 and it blew up, crank snapped, just prior to this unfortunate instance it was being a royal pain in the arse to start in the mornings, anways, when i got around to rebuilding the engine, i took the block to get some machining done, and the head to get a birthday, it took the machine shop about 90 minutes to call me back and let me know the head was actually cracked, i suspect this was the cause of my hard starting because she starts first crank every time now

White/Grey smoke = incomplete combustion. This is a nuts and bolts mechanical thing going on. Something is wrong in the combustion process. As to what it is I have no idea but would be fairly certain it is not a sensor related issue. Prolly not turbo either. Lack of boost will be black smoke and plenty of it. Turbo seals, blue smoke.

Valve timing maybe an issue. Perhaps valve sealing. Are they fully closing?

Latest posts

Back