My rant on Ironman suspension

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

od_40

Reaction score
I recently purchased and ironman 2" lift kit and all I can say it was a complete waste of money.

I have this very anyone "popping" sound every time the suspensions compress.

And worst is that the rear is higher than the front by 2" 50mm! Practically no lift at all on the front. I only have an alloy bullbar.

Now I don't even want to go off roading because the noise it makes is too annoying to enjoy.

ironman have a very bad reputation for there lift kits.

my mate has an 80series and installed a 4" suspension lift and after 1 week of driving he managed to snap a spring and killed 2 shocks and the car never saw a speck of mud in this time.

might i suggest EFS or Tough dog, roughly the same price and awesome kits

hope it all goes well

cheers

If its making sounds as you put it maybe something wasn,t installed right, Cant comment on front height as i have t/bars in mine a d22, I do think ironman sit a little high with there rear leaves, But this is the second ute i have had ironman in and i would have no hesitation putting in another ute down the track, As for killing shocks as above my old hilux use to get loaded with split and stacked firewood from floor to canopy roof driven out the bush then twenty k,s home probably close to one and half ton, Loaded camping gear and a camper and i never had a issue, As with every thing the bad story,s get told more

My ironman leaf springs made the same noise when i first installed them. The front of the leaf actually rubbed on the mount, Nissan have changed the front mount slightly. Everytime it articulates, it made like a clunking sound. I took the car into Ironman at Clayton and they trimmed a little piece off the front of the spring free of charge. Since then its all been good. That was on a D22 though.

I suggest you take it back and get them to trim the front bit off of the leaf that is rubbing.

Last edited:
i've got a 2" ironman lift in my d21 and couldn't be happier with it.

i trust you've reported this to the dealer and what have they said they're going to do about it ?

iv got ironman 2" lift in mine aswell with 35mm spacers on the front end to level out the ride. sits nice now. pretty happy with the ride as it is, still all together after 40,000kms of abuse

I have just installed the tough dog/rockcrawler combo from 4wd1 and I'am having the same issue with height difference from front to rear, i got about 2 1/2" out of the back and 10mm out of the front, i also only have alloy bullbar. Guys at 4wd1 suggested strut spacers, but unsure if i should go down this track. the ute looks S@#T with that much lift in the back. any suggestions?

I've got a 2" ironman kit with a 35mm spacer kit in the frot to level it out and I couldn't be happier with it for what it cost.

So am I correct in assuming the Ironman 2" springs only lift the front 10-15mm and you need to put in 35mm spacers to get the rest?

Hmm this is interesting, had a mate from arb fit my ironman kit in there workshop with him one Saturday and they compared everything to there gear and it was pretty close. My measurements after my
Lift was 80mm front and 100mm rear. Mine sits fairly level as I have a steel tray which is loaded with gear all the time. And yeh I can't fault there kit.

Which leafs and springs did you choose, if you went load carrying spec the backs going to sit higher untill it's loaded, and I hope they sold you the bull bar spec front springs as a aluminum bar isn't really that much lighter then a steel.

That's my 2 and a half cents.

I have just fitted an ironman 2 inch lift to my 2011 d22 and now it makes all kinds of weird noises. after a few days the right hand side spline stripped out of the torsion bar adjuster wich was replaced by the so called mechanics that fitted the kit now im too scared to take it any where incase it happens again.

Thanks for confusing the situation boys. Im tossing up putting them on my 40.
Extra heavy duty as I'll be carrying all my tools etc, but then 4wding will be alot less weight!
Now what do I do? Choose them and keep weight in them, or change to another brand. Adjustable etc...
Has anyone but airbags in the backs? Any good/ worth it.....?

Zanick said:
Thanks for confusing the situation boys. Im tossing up putting them on my 40.
Extra heavy duty as I'll be carrying all my tools etc, but then 4wding will be alot less weight!
Now what do I do? Choose them and keep weight in them, or change to another brand. Adjustable etc...
Has anyone but airbags in the backs? Any good/ worth it.....?

Usually when you go on a trip you fill your tank with petrol which will put extra weight on the back and an esky and all your gear, it's pretty easy to find 300kgs of weight. And who cares of the rides a bit rough, your 4wd on dirt.

I have just fitted an ironman 2 inch lift to my 2011 d22 and now it makes all kinds of weird noises. after a few days the right hand side spline stripped out of the torsion bar adjuster wich was replaced by the so called mechanics that fitted the kit now im too scared to take it any where incase it happens again.

Adjuster spline stripping is no fault of t/bar its to do with instalation

FYI,

A mate recently had his Ironman shocks on a dyno, (Toyota Hiux) The Ironman had same dampening /rebound settings as the OEM shocks. Not sure if they were heavy duty/performance or comfort though.

Latest posts

Back