My 2008 D40 ST-X build up

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nav669

Reaction score
Hi all my name is Brodie and I’m new to the Navara family, I bought a licensed running all tho barely 2008 D40 manual 2.5L with a suspected cracked head for a song ($2,200).

I purchased a brand new head and duplex timing chain kit to start with but as I took the motor apart I found more and more things wrong, intake completely clogged up with carbon, black oil in places it shouldn’t be (turbo, intercooler and hoses) and the turbo also had a bit of play in the shaft (cars done 240,000 hard klms) so I got onto CT Turbo and had a stage 1 billet high flow unit in the post, i then opened Forfront Industry’s website and purchased everything for my car including upgraded intercooler and ALL piping.

So while me and my mate spent 2 months pulling the old head off and prepping for the new one including fitting the duplex timing chain (what a b**ch of a job that is) cleaned out the intake and throttle body of built up carbon we got down to installing the brand new head.

I was soon on the web again ordering a full SS 3” exhaust no cat with hotdog muffler, new SCV and boost solenoid for peace of mind.

So that gets me to where I am now the heads fitted and now trying to work out how all the fuel and coolant hoses go back together, I’ve blocked the EGR and have a catch can ready to fit so I don’t ruin all my new goodies. I also pulled the air box apart pulled out some stupid restricting shit in it and proceeded to seal it to be water tight with Sikaflex.

Future plans are single mas flywheel and HD clutch, full Alpine stereo, long range tank, custom built front and rear bars, custom built tray and canopy, 2” Dobbinsons lift and 2” body lift, 33”s oh and I’m painting the whole car in white raptor liner.

I’ll put up pics soon, please reply if you want any further details and when she’s all running and going good I’m taking it to Reaper Performance in Perth to dyno and get the ECU remapped, can’t wait to see the power and torque after all this work I’ve done.

Thank you, more info to come.

Last edited:
I’m also going to do the VZ SS dash gauge holder mod and fit EGT & Boost gauges, I’ve already installed an Idrive unit to take out the throttle lag.

A good mod I’m looking into is fitting a set of 370Z seats for a bit of support and comfort (I’ve never heard or seen it done before) it may be impossible but I’m willing to give it a crack.

Just waiting for my days off to get more work done on my rig 😁 Fingers crossed I’ll be starting it this break, first time in 3 months since the work first started.

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like a lot of fun already had. One change I'd suggest is restoring the small lowest hole in the airbox, which will allow any rainwater that does enter the box to drain out at the next opportunity - otherwise, it will gradually fill up with water and eventually provide you with even more "get the head off and replace bits" excitement.

Welcome to the forum!

Sounds like a lot of fun already had. One change I'd suggest is restoring the small lowest hole in the airbox, which will allow any rainwater that does enter the box to drain out at the next opportunity - otherwise, it will gradually fill up with water and eventually provide you with even more "get the head off and replace bits" excitement.
Yer cheers mate, I might look into tapping it and fitting a small 1way valve or do the K&N Apollo mod a lot are doing now.

Ok so a little update on my D40 where we stand now.
Motor is completely back together all I’m waiting on now is my new radiator and alternator belt tensioner bolt assembly.
I’ve bought a 2nd hand longranger 150L fuel tank, a full set of 265-75R16 AT’s (I’ll go bigger when I fit a lift) and a Steinbauer chip but I don’t know if I’ll fit that just yet.
I took delivery of a full Alpine stereo and GME XRS uhf as of Friday still haven’t fitted any of it yet but it’s there.
My fingers are crossed that the rad will show up in the next few days so I’ll be turning the key on her for the first time in 4 months and also I’ve never driven her with boost because while I drove it a small amount around town the boost solenoid was cactus so I’m reallllllllllly looking forward to actually driving it full power.
I’ve attached a few pics of her when I first got her and of me and my mate fitting the new head also one of the stereo that’s going in.

Last edited:
Pics

Attachments

• D9CB5693-25F3-432A-A489-4BEB1402D0EA.jpeg
    D9CB5693-25F3-432A-A489-4BEB1402D0EA.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 37
  • B0EC5741-FE03-42A9-ADBD-402C928BB97F.jpeg
    B0EC5741-FE03-42A9-ADBD-402C928BB97F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
  • F0B1D963-324E-4264-8FEC-A46DC9C9F920.jpeg
    F0B1D963-324E-4264-8FEC-A46DC9C9F920.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • 61BA49F5-66DC-4F13-AAC5-6FB0B3B0D8D0.jpeg
    61BA49F5-66DC-4F13-AAC5-6FB0B3B0D8D0.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • CE0E4843-57B5-41D5-91DC-3C2E9F75322F.jpeg
    CE0E4843-57B5-41D5-91DC-3C2E9F75322F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • E68752BB-11D8-44B6-8739-85E510E7DB93.jpeg
    E68752BB-11D8-44B6-8739-85E510E7DB93.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • 6D50A5ED-DC84-4CB3-A1E8-EEA253820276.jpeg
    6D50A5ED-DC84-4CB3-A1E8-EEA253820276.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
  • AA625903-5C69-41C5-978C-610F0170B883.jpeg
    AA625903-5C69-41C5-978C-610F0170B883.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
More pics

Attachments

• 03A1E91B-24DC-4049-8046-825029EE7E82.jpeg
    03A1E91B-24DC-4049-8046-825029EE7E82.jpeg
    336.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 9D46B32C-EEFB-4BCE-9CCE-B7D8E5700ADC.jpeg
    9D46B32C-EEFB-4BCE-9CCE-B7D8E5700ADC.jpeg
    461.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 3621D1C2-0EFD-431C-ADDB-CE3EEB6D2CF7.jpeg
    3621D1C2-0EFD-431C-ADDB-CE3EEB6D2CF7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
good on you , hope you bought up each piston to top dead centre and checked for zero side play. i caught myself out by not attending to number piston when i changed head on mine,blows a little smoke on start up only If ever some one has a problem like mine the pistons can be resized They pack them with some sort of expanding clay. never had it done i would rather buy a new piston , i have done 1 new one out of 4 and got away with it many times

good on you , hope you bought up each piston to top dead centre and checked for zero side play. i caught myself out by not attending to number piston when i changed head on mine,blows a little smoke on start up only If ever some one has a problem like mine the pistons can be resized They pack them with some sort of expanding clay. never had it done i would rather buy a new piston , i have done 1 new one out of 4 and got away with it many times
We checked all pistons for head clearance but not of movement in the bored unfortunately.

Although it’s running and quite smooth for a diesel and with a new turbo, vac lines and boost solenoid the actuator on the turbo fluctuates at idol causing it to almost stutter, any ideas guys???

Started to fit the new stereo and uhf but it’s going take a little while I’m thinking as I’m running all new heavier wires as well.

Your turbo shouldn't be spinning much at idle anyway, so I'd rule that out right away. You might look at the EGR (didya block it?). The intecooler should be allowing enough air through because you don't report that there are issues at higher revs (although cleaning the intercooler can never hurt).

Also pay attention to how much blow-by is entering the air intake - if it's excessive, it's just like leaving the EGR valve open. Blow by is made worse by sticking piston rings or worn bores. To test this, remove the PCV hose from the air intake just in front of the turbocharger and seal over the stub of the tube on the intake. Position the PCV hose so that it points down towards the ground. Note: a catch can will NOT remove the blow-by gas from the intake, it will only remove the oil from it. How's the idle performance with the PCV disconnected?

Your turbo shouldn't be spinning much at idle anyway, so I'd rule that out right away. You might look at the EGR (didya block it?). The intecooler should be allowing enough air through because you don't report that there are issues at higher revs (although cleaning the intercooler can never hurt).

Also pay attention to how much blow-by is entering the air intake - if it's excessive, it's just like leaving the EGR valve open. Blow by is made worse by sticking piston rings or worn bores. To test this, remove the PCV hose from the air intake just in front of the turbocharger and seal over the stub of the tube on the intake. Position the PCV hose so that it points down towards the ground. Note: a catch can will NOT remove the blow-by gas from the intake, it will only remove the oil from it. How's the idle performance with the PCV disconnected?
Yer mate I blocked the EGR off and fitted a new intercooler from Forefront industry’s.

Ok folks, took the D40 out for its first big outing today to test the repairs and a few showed their ugly head.

The boost pipe from the turbo to the intercooler blew off right at the wrong time but still quite an easy fix but I will be replacing the little hose clamps that came from Forefront Ind with HD ones as that’s what failed on me.

I’ve got a Scangauge2 and my engine light came on (can’t remember the code) but just cleared it and it didn’t come back so 🙄 I’ll wait for that to return.

Steering pump belt is rubbing on something as it’s all fraid on one side so I’ll look into that one at a later stage.

New head, turbo, intercooler ect all went very well with a fair bit of hard slogging in some very soft sand she never got over 93c mainly sat around 88c, dunno what my EGTs are at the present as I’m still waiting for my redarc gauge to get here (f@@kn COVID 🙄) but I’m quite sure it didn't get to high. I’m pumping about 28-30psi of boost and she seems happy with it.

Just a side note I bought a set of DEFL8 tyre deflators like Stauns but fully pressure adjustable and Aussi made and owned, worked well.

Still need to get a lift kit, driving lights, roof rack and paint the lot in Raptor Liner.

I welcome any comments or questions so please don’t hesitate.

Hey mate how did the stereo install go? I’m getting a 08 stx in a couple of weeks and will be doing a stereo upgrade, were the front doors pretty straightforward? Just swap out woofer and tweeter?

Latest posts

Back