Mt Dare to New Andado road is closed indefinitely.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Re the D22 I really like them because they are high and light with plenty of grunt (for me) not keen on common rail but still not as much bs as the other 4wd's on the market, got three here and making two selling one and all the best/wanted bits on the keeper project, even got a spare set of muddies for hunting and AT's for the rest."

Not sure what type of country you intend going to, but if you're going to encounter any steep or wheel lifting terrain, a simple auto lokka on the front makes a difference you that wouldn't believe.

"Seen an awful lot of wrecked vehicles over our travels and most just plain silly mistakes, when we went up the Cape I found the best entertainment was to get to a crossing early and set up camp, then sit back with a beer and watch the fun, bit like a boat ramp only better they tell me it should be nearly all bitumen now? Cooktown was still dirt then."

The best way with water crossings is to forget what anyone else does, if you don't feel entirely confident (especially at a crossing you are unfamiliar with) then don't attempt it. No harm in that.

This is how easy it can happen. This fella was very experienced and leading a group of 4wders. The creek is one you would look at and wonder how anyone could have trouble with it. Though the exit was deeply rutted (not obvious as mostly underwater) and difficult, and being a narrow creek resulted in very strong current. The old rule of "if you can't walk it, don't drive it" might have helped there. Having a petrol engine that stalled and not planning with the group what to do if something goes wrong probably didn't help either it seems.

I hear what you are saying about (Trailers are already banned in some of the areas I get to, but I wouldn’t be disappointed if they limited tyres to 33” either. There are already plenty of well known tracks around that are left in bad condition for those with huge lifts, lockers and 35”+ tyres to rut out and have fun winching and snatching each other out of lol).
I run my dog through a NP track along the Murray and they recently graded all the main tracks for caravans to the beaches/camping areas did a great job until we had a couple of inches of rain, the tracks are now worse than before, absolute stupidity, some of these dicks had gone out of their way off the edges to try and get bogged, the soil sandy loam is almost impossible to get bogged in unless you get down to the axles but they had succeeded.
Have driven over the same tracks without even spinning a wheel in 2wd but pity the poor caravaner who tries to get in there and drops a wheel off or now slides off into a tree, would have been perfectly safe even for a 2wd towing a van when wet prior.

Not sure what type of country you intend going to, but if you're going to encounter any steep or wheel lifting terrain, a simple auto lokka on the front makes a difference you that wouldn't believe.
Yeah had lokkas in one of my Luxes but unlike my son I don't think it's a good idea to get bogged so you know how to get out next time, they were good on the slippery tracks or washaways though, my idea of 4wd driving now is when I really need to be somewhere and 2wd may not quite make it, or just wait a day if wet.
Spent a lot of hours back in the 2wd fox shooting days walking beside the vehicle in 1st gear trying to hold it on the crest of the wet road when we just had to get through, some of that black soil country is treacherous with only a spit of rain especially if the road has been steeply crowned but most are closed off in wet weather now.
We will be getting off road fossicking but will take the country as we find it and act to suit.

Hello guys! We just got back from a trip out onto the Nullarbor, traversing the tracks between the Eyre Hwy & the Transcontinental line; the tracks there really are tracks & rougher than anything I've ever driven on, including anything around Mt Dare. Just two wheel ruts in the limestone & nowhere to turn, nor deviate, without serious risk of staking a tyre. This made most of the other tracks I've driven on seem like suburbia lol. Never saw another soul while we were out there. But it made camping easy, just set up camp on the track, coz nobody else is coming through! Came home through Mt Ive & up through to Kingoonya, then out to Tarcoola. Onto Andamooka & the tracks north of there are very rough too! Much rougher than anything around Mt Dare. Had a ball! Went home via the Borefield Rd (boring) & then down to Marree & the Flinders ranges. Never took the Navara this time, took my wife's car. Had a ball & am feeling quite spoiled! :)

Hello guys! We just got back from a trip out onto the Nullarbor, traversing the tracks between the Eyre Hwy & the Transcontinental line; the tracks there really are tracks & rougher than anything I've ever driven on, including anything around Mt Dare. Just two wheel ruts in the limestone & nowhere to turn, nor deviate, without serious risk of staking a tyre. This made most of the other tracks I've driven on seem like suburbia lol. Never saw another soul while we were out there. But it made camping easy, just set up camp on the track, coz nobody else is coming through! Came home through Mt Ive & up through to Kingoonya, then out to Tarcoola. Onto Andamooka & the tracks north of there are very rough too! Much rougher than anything around Mt Dare. Had a ball! Went home via the Borefield Rd (boring) & then down to Marree & the Flinders ranges. Never took the Navara this time, took my wife's car. Had a ball & am feeling quite spoiled! :)
what car did you take mate ... you sure give it a good run

what car did you take mate ... you sure give it a good run
A Pajero maddon. It did very well. I was impressed with how it coped towing the camper trailer out around Knowles Cave & again up north of Andamooka. I had been seriously thinking of trading it, but I think it's a keeper lol.

A Pajero maddon. It did very well. I was impressed with how it coped towing the camper trailer out around Knowles Cave & again up north of Andamooka. I had been seriously thinking of trading it, but I think it's a keeper lol.
Sounds like a good trip, you're lucky you can get access. Was going out to the Kimberly via Tanami Rd, then down the Canning and back across via the Nullarbor this year. All arranged and was counting down the days. Pandemic threw a spanner in the works. It might be quite a while before that is possible, before restrictions on travelling through remote communities changes.

Getting away for a few days isn't so simple over this way either, with many areas still closed from the bushfires and probably not opening any time soon. Hasn't been a good year for travelling.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back