Motor died, indicated bad injector pump, starts no issues no matter what the mechanic does

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slappy

Reaction score
Hey guys.

Driving to work this morning my ZD30 just spontaneously gave up on life and just wouldn't kick at all under crank. Wound up calling RAA out and we manage to get it started on a can of Start ya Bastard but it just stalled right back out immediately leading us to think it's fuel system past the filter as it primes up firmly.

Wound up getting it towed to my local mechanic shop and went on to work, called them about 8 hours later and turns out from the moment they got it, it has been starting and running without any issues whatsoever.

Mechanic said he's had it up to temps, stopped and started it a heap of times and it sounds like one of the healthiest ZD30s he's worked on. They're gonna keep it for the next few days and keep at it to see if it happens again but I'm lost and not overly comfortable picking it back up with the chance of it leaving me stranded again.

Anyone got any ideas besides injector pump? Hard to believe it could be bad but the car runs perfectly at the same time. Their scanner tool connected up fine but didn't show any codes either.

Thanks guys

have you had a service/changed fuel filter recently?
could have had air in the fuel line/lost prime, and is now all good.

sounds like injection pump.
make sure there is no other faults. there is issues when the tail light fuse blows, but thats typically causes a no start fault.

often air in the fuel lines will give poor performance before cutting out and make a timing fault code.
i've had issues with incorrect fuel filters being used, but again timing fault code.

have you had a service/changed fuel filter recently?
could have had air in the fuel line/lost prime, and is now all good.

No... I did oil and filter just the other week but they didn't have the fuel filter handy so I ordered one in. It would have done around 10k so likely due very soon but I wouldn't think it would have been at failing point yet?

sounds like injection pump.
make sure there is no other faults. there is issues when the tail light fuse blows, but thats typically causes a no start fault.

often air in the fuel lines will give poor performance before cutting out and make a timing fault code.
i've had issues with incorrect fuel filters being used, but again timing fault code.

Yeah right I haven't heard of the tail like fuse thing, that would be sweet but it has been starting with the mechanic. What's that all about?

It was running as well as it always has right up until the like 2 seconds before it cut out completely so I'm not sure. No codes showing for the mechanic, but I'm not sure if they would if its playing nice for them either.

I’ve had my d22 zd30 dye on me and a code on my Ute came up it was the injector pump big job replacing it i almost have it back together.

Sort of
Mine died and wouldn't start again.
Now it starts every day and will run for a few minutes than just die like the keys been turned off and won't start for the rest of the day.
Next day, starts and sounds like a dream for a little bit than dies again

Sort of
Mine died and wouldn't start again.
Now it starts every day and will run for a few minutes than just die like the keys been turned off and won't start for the rest of the day.
Next day, starts and sounds like a dream for a little bit than dies again

I wonder if it's a component on the fuel pump's control circuit board that's getting hot then failing? Is this a VP44 pump?

I wonder if it's a component on the fuel pump's control circuit board that's getting hot then failing? Is this a VP44 pump?
Mate check the return line on the pump next to the input side ok known to block and not nor start ok it has a ball initially and freezes stuck and won't allow flow back to the tank just a thought

Just checked that after seeing your reply. Its pumping diesel back through the return line. Cracked an injector again and getting good flow out of there too.
im assuming its a VP44 going off all the other threads.
When I unplug the pump and crank it, the motor sounds different compared to when its plugged in which tells me the pump is working??

Hasn't started this week at all. (I work away)

Back