modded xr6 intercooler into the 03 str

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, anyone know the hose sizes needed to fit to the turbo and throttle body(whatever its called) on d22 zd30?
I'v ordered a cooler, and just about to order the piping.
I'v spent some time under the bonnet with pencil, paper and tape measure and got my list made up except for the reducers from the throttle body(sic) and compressor outlet. Im guessing 2.5" and 1.75" respectively?
Are the hose diameters measured from the inside to fit the pipes outside diameter? Or are the pipe sizes based on internal diameter?

Hey guys, anyone know the hose sizes needed to fit to the turbo and throttle body(whatever its called) on d22 zd30?
I'v ordered a cooler, and just about to order the piping.
I'v spent some time under the bonnet with pencil, paper and tape measure and got my list made up except for the reducers from the throttle body(sic) and compressor outlet. Im guessing 2.5" and 1.75" respectively?
Are the hose diameters measured from the inside to fit the pipes outside diameter? Or are the pipe sizes based on internal diameter?

Any help I can offer is in the diy section in my diy intercooler thread. With the addition that the blue hose I used was purchased at super cheap and Dave posted the part no. for it in the part no. sticky. Clamps I got from repco.

G'day, nice write up, if you have a search for a thread of mine (search for d22 front mount for $500!) there are some pics I put on there from when I did mine. I used an aftermarket xr6 bar and plate style cooler. I didn't modify it in any way and just bought some universal pipes off eBay. I had to buy some hoses separate, the cooler has 2.5" inlet/outlet and my pipes are 2" so I used some reducers there. From memory the intake pipe over the top of the motor is 3"? I'm pretty sure. And the turbo hose size are 1.75". I had my Pipe sizes vary a bit throughout the whole intake but it dosnt realy matter. The huge boost these things run fill em up quickly enough. I have no noticeable turbo lag but I must say that my pipes are all alloy and even though I have insulated them the turbo whistle is now very loud. I've tripple checked for leaks as I was convinced with that much noise there had to be one but it's all good. I hope any off that helps! I've got a 3" exhaust on its way to me in the mail as well as a boost gauge and egg gauge ready to go on. As soon as they're on I'll wire in the module and woohoo!!

Fellas im using assorted alluminium pipes and silicone joiners to do my cooler cos i got 'em cheap enough and i dont trust myself or have the patience to do it in mild or s/steel with gasless mig,
Anyway, some of the ally pipes i'v got will need the ends to be lipped so the hoses don't blow off,

My question is; is there a tool i can use to lip the ends?

G'day, nice write up, if you have a search for a thread of mine (search for d22 front mount for $500!) there are some pics I put on there from when I did mine. I used an aftermarket xr6 bar and plate style cooler. I didn't modify it in any way and just bought some universal pipes off eBay. I had to buy some hoses separate, the cooler has 2.5" inlet/outlet and my pipes are 2" so I used some reducers there. From memory the intake pipe over the top of the motor is 3"? I'm pretty sure. And the turbo hose size are 1.75". I had my Pipe sizes vary a bit throughout the whole intake but it dosnt realy matter. The huge boost these things run fill em up quickly enough. I have no noticeable turbo lag but I must say that my pipes are all alloy and even though I have insulated them the turbo whistle is now very loud. I've tripple checked for leaks as I was convinced with that much noise there had to be one but it's all good. I hope any off that helps! I've got a 3" exhaust on its way to me in the mail as well as a boost gauge and egg gauge ready to go on. As soon as they're on I'll wire in the module and woohoo!!

What section of the forum was that in? Diy build ups? D22 engine etc?

Her's a couple of pics of the way I mounted my xr6 intercooler. There's a heap of room in behind the alloy bullbar so room is not a problem. Having the body lift made it a bit easier as well, total cost of the of buying the second hand cooler +fittings and pipe $ 274.00 . It took about 12 hrs in total.

Hey kempseyken i was just wondering whether or not when you put in you bodylift did it affect the position of the windscreen washer bottle? Just wondering as im going to start to get the stuff togethor to fit a xr6t front mount to my nav and tryin to work out where to run the piping and was looking at your top pipe which looks to be for your engine side and i rekon that would be a good place to run one of mine but just wondering where exactly it goes through to the engine bay, would you happen to have a picture of behind that headlight just so i can get a rough idea of where that pipe comes through. Any help would be appreciated

Bart

G'day BP , mate the body lift won't affect the washer bottle it goes up with the body , but you will have to move up your bull bar (if you have one).I did have to move the washer bottle down for the pipe which runs to the intake manifold. I will take a couple more pics for you and post them up tomorrow night.

G'day BP , mate the body lift won't affect the washer bottle it goes up with the body , but you will have to move up your bull bar (if you have one).I did have to move the washer bottle down for the pipe which runs to the intake manifold. I will take a couple more pics for you and post them up tomorrow night.

Ah ok yeah i have a alloybar, and am planning to dona bodylift but not sure if before or after the ic, i plan on running the intake side inbetween the radiator top corner and the headlight and the turbo side where you ran you intake side but i all depends what your intake side looks like inside the engien bay behind the headlight. So yeah any pics you can get would be great cheers. Also how far down did you move your washer bottle approx? Hoping to not have to run any pipes under the radiator or into the wheel arch or through bullbar brackets.

Okay, so I just picked up my XR6 I/C and now starting to look into the fitting/piping it up side of the game.

I cant say I know a great deal about fitting this kind of thing and the mods that will be needed so I am looking at paying for it to be done. Just spoke to http://www.melbourne-radiators.com.au/car-radiators.htm and he quoted "around $300".

Does anyone else know of a shop that will do this job for a reasonable price/quality job? I am located inner Melbourne.

Hey Thom , $300.00 sounds cheap , mate I've been a fabricator for nearly 30 years and it still took me about 12 hours to do , I should have taken mine there , LOL

Hey BP , mate here's some pics I hope they help . The hole is just below the radiator support bracket and above the inner guard. There's no need to modify anything other than cut the hole. As far as the washer bottle goes I moved mine down about 50mm and drilled new holes to mount it and with the filler neck you pick up one of the two bolts that are already there.

Attachments

• 100_2756.jpg
    100_2756.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 482
  • 100_2757.jpg
    100_2757.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 519
  • 100_2760.jpg
    100_2760.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 473
Okay, so I just picked up my XR6 I/C and now starting to look into the fitting/piping it up side of the game.

I cant say I know a great deal about fitting this kind of thing and the mods that will be needed so I am looking at paying for it to be done. Just spoke to http://www.melbourne-radiators.com.au/car-radiators.htm and he quoted "around $300".

Does anyone else know of a shop that will do this job for a reasonable price/quality job? I am located inner Melbourne.

$300 sounds pretty good if that includes materials and labour!

It was a rough quote he gave me over the phone. So I am going to predict a bit more just in case.

I am considering painting/touching up the intercooler cause it has a few scuff/paint chip marks. Not that it REALLY matters... But any idea what kind of paint I need to use?

A spraycan of good quality chassis and roll bar paint from autobharn or repco will do the trick cos its tough and self-priming, wheel paint myt be good too, but ive never used it. Expect to pay about $20. But the paint is only as good as the preperation- give it a good clean with scotch-bright and prep-sol or even just metho, the fins will be har to clean tho so maybe just spray/douse it with metho, oven cleaner, degreaser- anything to get all the oil residue off, then give it a good hosing off. Saying that, it wont really be that visible, could probly get away with cheap paint especially since the paint on its pretty much all there. I use matt-black spraycans from the chinese two dollar shop on all sorts of things, its great for dollying up all sorts of bits and pieces! not as durable tho. Also, myt wanna spend 5 minutes with the small flat blade screwdriver straightening the fins if yr worried about that. Cheers.

Last edited:
A spraycan of good quality chassis and roll bar paint from autobharn or repco will do the trick cos its tough and self-priming, wheel paint myt be good too, but ive never used it. Expect to pay about $20. But the paint is only as good as the preperation- give it a good clean with scotch-bright and prep-sol or even just metho. Saying that, it wont really be that visible, could probly get away with cheap paint. I use matt-black spraycans from the chinese two dollar shop on all sorts of things, its great for dollying up all sorts of bits and pieces! not as durable tho. Also, myt wanna spend 5 minutes with the small flat blade screwdriver straightening the fins if yr worried about that. Cheers.

Cheers mate, I straightened out the few bent fins this arvo. Yeah, just to be safe, I might spend the $20 and get the durable paint you mentioned.

So I just got back from going to the radiator/cooler fitter in Epping. Turns out after trekking all the way out there they couldn't properly quote the job for me. They didnt seem to confident either.

They did however recommend i go and see a guy down the road who does this kind of job a lot more. So I went to see him http://www.ffengineering.com.au/. He has fitted the XR6 I/C to a D22 before. So he had a good idea how the job needed to be done. Long story short, with labour and piping, silicone etc etc. It will be about a $1k job.

Back to square one really, cause I went for the XR6 cooler as a cheap alternative, so far not looking to be anywhere near as cheap as what I had first thought/heard.

So unless I can find a cheaper fitter, looks like the intercooler will be put behind the suspension lift.

So i picked up a xr6t intercooler for the navara. Just wondering what would be the best way to flush it to clean the inside of the intercooler to ensure there isnt any dirt, dust, oil residue etc?

Bart

petrol. cover both ends with your hands and shake the bejeesus out of it. then degreaser and water.

Latest posts

Back