Loud clunk when changing from N to reverse.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, i own a 2021 Pro4x with 10,000km on the clock. Some times there is a loud clunk when i change from neutral to reverse. I’m being told that its caused when i pull the handbreak after i’ve parked. When I stop, I hold down the break then change to park, then, still with my foot on the break, i pull on the handbreak. Anyone else experience the same?

Attachments

• IMG_1838.MOV
    25.3 MB
I watched the video several times. Does the 2021 actually engage the gear itself that quickly, or is there a small delay before the gearbox actually shifts gear? It seemed awfully quick (compared to even a car we drove recently manufactured in Nov last year).

As for parking procedure - I do this in any automatic, to avoid damage to the parking pawl:

Once at the place I am parking, hold the foot brake. Move the gearbox to neutral and engage the handbrake. Gingerly release the footbrake to see if the car will roll and if not, put the gearbox into Park.

It's possible - I guess - that the noise you're hearing is the parking pawl retracting. You'd need to get under the car and listen towards the rear of the gearbox where the parking gear and parking pawl usually live (they are usually attached to the output shaft of the gearbox which is BEFORE the transfer case).

A lot of auto's do that, it's a PITA. Try having the hand brake on & no foot on the brake while you're putting it in reverse. No idea why it works, but it seems to with some cars.

Latest posts

Back