Loss of power but fine in reverse

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack1023

Reaction score
My d40 has been fine up and til a week ago when it started being sluggish taking off at traffic lights.

it’s fine in reverse no loss of power there and it drives normally when you initially turn the car on but as soon as you stop at an intersection or traffic lights it Won’t take off, has only recently started displaying the handbrake light and abs aswell as the engine light when you stop the car

My d40 has been fine up and til a week ago when it started being sluggish taking off at traffic lights.

it’s fine in reverse no loss of power there and it drives normally when you initially turn the car on but as soon as you stop at an intersection or traffic lights it Won’t take off, has only recently started displaying the handbrake light and abs aswell as the engine light when you stop the car
It sounds to me like you might have an electrical problem. The first thing I would suggest for you to do is to get the OBDII error codes. It should be noted that if my guess is correct, and it can only be a guess based on your input, the codes may well be meaningless. Nevertheless, it's your best and simplest starting point.

^ as above. Codes won't mean a thing if it's an electrical connection that's dirty.

There might be an issue with the neutral switch in the gearbox. When in neutral, engine operation is hampered - the turbo isn't allowed to boost significantly (for obvious reasons, why boost when you're in neutral). Give us the details about which model you have (auto/manual, STX/RX etc) so we can give you a little more specific help.

i also have this issue tony, maybe you could help me.

I have a Navara d40 spain 2007 automatic. Like the person above has stated. power in reverse is fine but 0-50km is a struggle with black smoke, turbo gauge reads 18-20psi like normal, maybe scv, ive tried an ecu reset, tried injector cleaner as well.

Hi Old Tony, question for you, i notice you have on a couple of occasions mentioned that in neutral the turbo wont produce boost, so how do you explain these videos on you tube , my mechanic is also of the opinion that the turbo will still boost in neutral.
I'm confused ?

Hi Old Tony, question for you, i notice you have on a couple of occasions mentioned that in neutral the turbo wont produce boost, so how do you explain these videos on you tube , my mechanic is also of the opinion that the turbo will still boost in neutral.
I'm confused ?

Don't be confused. In stock configuration of a car with a vane-controlled turbo, the turbo will still provide small amounts of boost in neutral (the turbine will still spin a little), but nothing like what it will produce when driving - you might get 6-8 psi, but it shouldn't reach 18-20psi (at 2000rpm).

Note: this is for BCS-controlled VNT turbos only. In my car (controlled by a Tillix valve) or a car using a Dawes valve (similar to Tillix) you'll see more boost because the ECU isn't controlling the vanes in the turbo.

I've noticed that before installing my Tillix valve, I'd only reach minimal boost levels in neutral, but now it will rise as high as it can, with the resulting turbo bark (chatter) as I back off the throttle. That's not good for the turbo, the intercooler or the piping.

Back