Losing power and threatening to stall uphill

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mage

Reaction score
I took my 2010 manual d40 to a rough dirt road near me. It doesn't like going up the steep slope, was losing power and had to go into 4l to climb it. It seems to just lose grunt and threaten to stall, even when in 2wd 1st gear, I used to do this in a 2wd 88 hilux with wimpy 2y engine. I had a quick look at a few air hoses, 2 seem a bit cooked and flaky on the outside. Also wondering if a hose is meant to go from this pic to behind the engine or what? It has me stumped.
Also I have had the fuel and air filters changed and mafs cleaned at the mechanics when I got the belts done yesterday.
Any help appreciated.
Cheers Aden.

Attachments

• 20211020_133554.jpg
    20211020_133554.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 19
  • 20211020_165154.jpg
    20211020_165154.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
I'm not sure that hose is connected to anything. That's incoming air tube, the MAFS is just to the right in the pic and the turbocharger bottom left (for those wondering where we're looking). It's not a vac hose.

You could replace the vac hoses, which might help - 3m of 3mm hose from Supercheap is what I used last time I did it. But I think before you go grabbing more tools and stuff, try getting hold of a bluetooth OBD adapter (ELM327) and an android app called "Torque" so you can monitor the ECU's reading of the boost pressure.

If boost is lacking, your power will be significantly down. Replacing the hoses is a good first step (the hose cost me about $5 per metre, and you cannot hurt anything if you replace it one piece at a time so you can't forget where each bit goes).

If you still lack boost pressure, try this (not for too long though): take the vac hose that comes across the motor and onto the BCS (it's bolted on the hard pipe leading to the intercooler, sort of just in front and below the alternator). Connect this directly to the turbocharger and take it for a drive, but do NOT back off the throttle quickly. If boost improves (and it's all new hose) then your BCS is probably too tired.

You have two choices with the BCS. Buy a new one from Nissan ($240 I think) or from eBay ($35 like this one here). Alternatively go to www.tillix.com.au and grab one of their Tillix valves. I have one now, I got tired of replacing the BCS, and although my turbo isn't ECU-controlled any more, once you've adjusted the Tillix valve properly you don't have any trouble with it. Mine's been good for ages now.

Hi Old Tony,

In regards to the BCS is that the VIAS control solenoid valve (item 2 page EM14 of the Manual).
I'm having a similar issue but its not going to stall. High RPM when accelerating then nothing, Couldn't pull the skin off of custard. Other times chirping the wheels at the lights.

There doesn't seem to be any blockages in the Vaccume lines going to replace them today anyway.

thanks for any help.

The VIAS is on the petrol engine and is a simple on-off valve powered by a 12V signal.

The manual I have (specifically for the D40 from 2006-2010) doesn't have a valve listed on EM14 (on mine, that's a page describing the fan belts for the petrol engine).

It does list a "turbocharger boost control solenoid" on EC-1005, which is the item we're talking about. This BCS operates at 100Hz and can open up to 100 times per second.

The VIAS is on the petrol engine and is a simple on-off valve powered by a 12V signal.

The manual I have (specifically for the D40 from 2006-2010) doesn't have a valve listed on EM14 (on mine, that's a page describing the fan belts for the petrol engine).

It does list a "turbocharger boost control solenoid" on EC-1005, which is the item we're talking about. This BCS operates at 100Hz and can open up to 100 times per second.

Wow.. I am daft. lol I didn't realize that I was reading a petrol manual. I was reading from the manual on Navlife. for a 2012 spanish build.

Latest posts

Back