Looks like a bad CV joint.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Checking out the steering and suspension on my D40 2010. Doesn't look great. Would explain the clicking sound when accelerating and turning?

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

image3.jpeg

Usually they lose the grease when the rubber boot splits, but yours looks ok (from what I can see)? If so there's a fair chance that would be your noise, they don't last long without grease.

In the long run, it's not going to cost a lot to replace the joint. You could pull the boot back and inspect the spider, but all that grease outside the boot tells me that either it was massively overpacked before and it's just oozed out during use, or the boot is now loose and the CV is shedding.

With the car on jack stands and steering turned full lock, you could stick your ear right near it and listen.

Cheers guys,
I ended up replacing both left and right cv axles and diff seals. The inner boot clamp was a bit loose and had a small crack and I wasn't in the mood to mess around with repacking the joints and replacing the boots. There was probably no need to replace both but I prefer doing things in pairs.

The last thing on the list is the Nav is pulling an erg valve open code, this is intermittent so I am guessing the valve has a bit of carbon build-up. The question is whether to clean it or blank it.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back