Long time reader, first time poster

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braks

Reaction score
Hey team,

I’ve got a 2010 d40 2.5td that’s making some gnarly noises after starting from cold. (See first video) Sounds like a tappy/ knocking noise which goes away once it warms up, there’s also some solid vibration that goes with it, this also mellows out once she warms up. (See second video) Blows a bit of white smoke, not much though.

I’ve had the glow plugs checked and they’re fine, done an oil change and run a fuel system cleaner but to no avail. Buddy mention it could be the injectors. I’ve been quoted $650(NZD) for injectors + 3.5 hours labour @ $130, granted that was the Nissan dealer so know I could get it done cheaper, but just wanted to see if anyone has encountered the same issue and what have you done to fix it?

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_8617.MOV
    17 MB
Examination time.

Look over the exhaust - particularly around the turbocharger - for black powdery emissions. Check the gold tube that runs around the front of the engine for the same. These are the two major trouble spots - turbo->exhaust interface and the EGR tube (particularly around the concertina section).

I'd guess that it's more likely the turbo->exhaust join, because it's going away as the engine warms up. A hole in the EGR tube won't close up when warm, but a small gap in the turbo join might.

Injectors are pretty good - I have a 2009 car, 380,000km and the original injectors are still working well.

If it IS an injector, there's still some things to try.

1) Injector cleaner. There's no harm in throwing a bottle in the tank, or if you want faster results, do a Diesel Purge (Liqui Moly, available at Supercheap Auto). This will tell you if the injectors just had some minor dirt on them.

2) 2-stroke oil in the fuel tank. About 50ml of 2-stroke (JASO-FD-rated) to the fuel tank, fill it, and drive. Some people panic when you mention doing this, but I have done it several times and it not only quiets the motor a little, but improves fuel economy by a small amount too. This chemically alters the diesel a little and adds detergents that clean everything. It doesn't add lubrication all that much - 50ml in 80,000ml is nothing (and diesel is an oil anyway).

Don't throw money at the injectors straight away. There's cheap things to try first!

Latest posts

Back