Limp mode

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brallon

Reaction score
So guys i have this problem. Found some old thread by googling the issue, but I guess it's better to start a new with a new problem.

My -08 Navara D40 has occasionally started going limp mode for a few minutes every now and then. Now when I really started to examine the car, I found out following factors:
  • The car may go limp mode when losing traction on rear wheels.
  • ABS light comes up when losing traction on rear wheels.
  • ABS definetly doesn't work when this happens, when testing the brakes at this state (testing a panic-breaking) it goes limp mode.
When the car is in limp mode it can have 2 different types of limps;
Sometimes it may run, but doesn't rev more than about 1500-2000rpm, but I can drive the car when in limp mode.
The other variation is that the car "starts", but rpm drops immediately and kills the engine.
Both limp modes last for few (about 5 ish) minutes and then the car works again.

Never does an check engine-light come on.

What to do and where to look for the problem?

PS. It's winter, snow and ice in Finland atm, so losing traction can not be avoided.

There are several things that can cause this unsignalled limp mode, asking the ECU for any codes might give us a clue but things like the SCV being dirty/faulty don't always produce a code. Sometimes, the SCV is fixed by using a good injector cleaner (which obviously also cleans the fuel pump and SCV which is on the pump). I'm not going to ask if you're using winterised fuel, that one should be obvious!

Issues with the ABS are sometimes caused by debris in the sensor teeth, with the debris coming from a disintegrating wheel bearing (has happened to me, only noticed it when braking). I'm not sure that a fault in the ABS will result in limp mode - so grabbing the code (especially while the ABS light is on) will be useful.

Thanks, i guess i will give the injector cleaner a try. It definetly wont hurt using a bottle either way.
Any suggeations on what to use? Stp has alot of different cleaners.

And yes, ofc it is winterdiesel

Last edited:
Here in Straya I use Liqui Moly Fuel System Treatment or their Diesel Purge (which is incredible, you actually run the car on it alone out of the can). STP aren't a backyard operation, they've been at it for years so I'd expect to be able to have some faith in their stuff.

So guys i have this problem. Found some old thread by googling the issue, but I guess it's better to start a new with a new problem.

My -08 Navara D40 has occasionally started going limp mode for a few minutes every now and then. Now when I really started to examine the car, I found out following factors:
  • The car may go limp mode when losing traction on rear wheels.
  • ABS light comes up when losing traction on rear wheels.
  • ABS definetly doesn't work when this happens, when testing the brakes at this state (testing a panic-breaking) it goes limp mode.
When the car is in limp mode it can have 2 different types of limps;
Sometimes it may run, but doesn't rev more than about 1500-2000rpm, but I can drive the car when in limp mode.
The other variation is that the car "starts", but rpm drops immediately and kills the engine.
Both limp modes last for few (about 5 ish) minutes and then the car works again.

Never does an check engine-light come on.

What to do and where to look for the problem?

PS. It's winter, snow and ice in Finland atm, so losing traction can not be avoided.
Anything like this I usually go for an ECU/fuel pump reset with an SCV problem mine would kick in after idling for a period but also on startup would get an airlock in fuel which would basically give the same symptoms, with the SCV the temporary fix was to switch off then on again but a reset fixes it unless there is a faulty SCV, a cleaner may help but will still need a reset IMHO.

Latest posts

Back