Limited Slip Diff??

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian McK

Reaction score
Hi All
I am new here...you might say fresh...
I have a 2wd 2019 RX Navara tray back 2.3l and would like to fit a LSD
Do they exist and where should I look
Thanks in advance
Ian

Thanks. It must have failed or maybe I need to put some load in the back. It doesn’t pull up wet grass slopes.
Will start by jacking up and putting some power down. If that doesn’t work then off to the diff shop

i'm not sure any d23 comes with lsd. pretty much most utes are now open diff with traction control. high spec models with electric locker.
i'm not sure if you could even find an aftermarket lsd. most common will be lockers.

I've seen wet grass slopes defeat four wheel drives and being driven past by an old VW

It's all about the tyres, it doesn't matter how many wheels are spinning if they are road pattern (and wide).
Rather that spend thousands on a diff, tyres with more grip such as ATs are a better option.

Last edited:
The wrong oil will make the diff behave as a non-LSD. If your model has an LSD but is not behaving accordingly, I'd suggest draining the oil out of it and refilling it with LSD oil. Putting LSD oil into a non-LSD will not harm it, so it's a safe thing to try.

jack it up and spin one wheel, if the other goes the opposite way, it's an lsd!

Actually ... if they go the opposite way it's a conventional open diff ... if the rear wheels spin the same way it's an LSD.

I did this check before buying my 2011 Thai built D40 just to make sure it it was an LSD.

Last edited:
Actually ... if they go the opposite way it's a conventional open diff ... if the rear wheels spin the same way it's an LSD.

I did this check before buying my 2011 Thai built D40 just to make sure it it was an LSD.

yes sorry, my mistake. new it was one or the other:D

Just a thought... Some brands label the filler plug to help identify an LSD, so that the person about to top up or refill the oil knows what kind of oil to use. I don't know whether or not Nissan does this.

What it the offside doesn’t spin. For me it didn’t move either way.
When I put it in gear both wheels turned. I wasn’t game to drop one wheel one the ground

Just a thought... Some brands label the filler plug to help identify an LSD, so that the person about to top up or refill the oil knows what kind of oil to use. I don't know whether or not Nissan does this.
No markings on my filler plug

On my 2011 Thai built D40 ... the rear diff cover has "80W-90 LS oil only" letters cast into the alloy just above the filler plug.
The document that came with the Ute says to use lsd oil but you can use lad oil in any diff

What it the offside doesn’t spin. For me it didn’t move either way.
When I put it in gear both wheels turned. I wasn’t game to drop one wheel on the ground

You had both rear wheels off the ground with the engine running in gear?

I have a Mercedes car with an LSD and the rear wheels spin the same way when they're off the ground on stands, engine running and the transmission is in gear. The Navara D40 does the same.

According to this it doesn't have an LSD: Nissan Navara RX (4X2) 2019 Price & Specs | CarsGuide

So Carsguide says ... Active Brake Limited Slip. This is being tricky because it really means the traction control system.

Not too many cars have LSD's these days because in the drive to reduce costs they use the TC system as a form of crude limited slip diff.

My C320CDI Mercedes with it's chipped turbo charged 3.0 litre V6 diesel was hopeless with the "Active Brake Limited Slip" ... aka traction control. With nearly 600Nm it would send the TC system into a frenzy. I replaced the diff with a Quaife helical geared LSD (DIY'ed to!) and it transformed the car.

Last edited:
You would not think they would make a car with a lsd and traction control. Mine definitely has traction control

i was told one ute manufacture started coming out with rear lsd and traction control fitted. i think it was a cost saving measure because people kept chewing out rear brakes.

Hi All
I am new here...you might say fresh...
I have a 2wd 2019 RX Navara tray back 2.3l and would like to fit a LSD
Do they exist and where should I look
Thanks in advance
Ian
Just out of interest, when you're attempting these grassy slopes, is it one wheel spinning or both? If it's both, your only choices are grippier tyres and/or a couple of bags of sand in the back, or trade it on a 4X4.
Redbook says ABS (Antilock Brakes), Automatic Brake Differential, Brake Assist, Control - Electronic Stability, Control - Traction, EBD (Electronic Brake Force Distribution) are all standard equipment, no LSD.
I'd be inclined to think, (and this is just a totally un-educated guess as my vehicles are all totally acronym free, except for LSD) that if you threw an LSD into that mix, you'd give the computer a massive hernia.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back