Lights and Blinkers after rain

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clintando

Reaction score
After heavy rain, my 2011 D22 has issues with the lights. The left hand blinker stays solidly on and won't turn off unless you turn the lights on again and when the right hand blinker is on, the headlights flash with them even if the lights were on or off when you first indicate. It has an aftermarket tray so I'm thinking that there is a dodgy connection allowing water somewhere but I have been told that the earthing bond could also cause that. Just seeing if anyone has had similar issues and how they were repaired.
Cheers!

Headlights and indicators - for the positive line - are completely different circuits. It's the negative connection.

I had a similar problem with my tail lights, ALL of them were mucking up, turned out to be a corroded outer conductor on my left rear indicator.

If the left indicator is staying on then for some reason this part of the circuit is going active, probably with power incorrectly being routed through the indicator circuit, it could be one of the globes but I'd also check the engine bay distribution box. That it "resets" when the headlights come on just means that the headlight circuit introduces the correct power back through the earth perhaps? Might be a left-front-indicator earth issue.

I agree with Old.Tony, this has all the earmarks of an earthing issue, which for most vehicles is the negative side. That's always the place to look when multiple electrical systems, which (should) have no direct connections between them, start to muck up at the same time.

That "resetting" issue is puzzling but for now, I'd ignore it. It's probably like the error codes some people get from their vehicles. It might throw up 10 apparently unrelated errors but when you fix the correct thing they all disappear. Over the years I've seen some really odd behaviour in vehicles because of crap earth connections. Just focus on finding and fixing that bad earth and see if you still have issues afterwards.

Early Ford Falcons and, to a slightly lesser extent, the Holdens of the same period, were notorious for have oddly behaving rear lights. It was due to the practice, which was common at the time, of relying only on the screws that attached the light assemblies to the body to provide the earth connection. That was fine when the cars were new but once the rust settled in, as it inevitably did, those connections were no longer up to the job. You'll still see it very frequently on trailers, especially older or homemade ones, where some people simply rely on just the coupling or the trailer metalwork to provide the earth connection instead of properly wiring it into the plug and socket and at the lights themselves.

one common problem with aftermarket trays i deal with is they reuse the stock lights. often installed upside down (so the drain is at the top) and with no weather shield to stop water getting in the back of them. so they fill with water and all the bulbs corrode.
badly done earth is fairly common.

You can try unplugging the trailer plug loom, assuming you have one. Mine was blowing fuses when wet and when I removed the trailer plug (it is an insert between two other plugs at the rear of the tray) the fuse blowing stopped. I installed a new one and all was good
This was despite me finding my roobar indicators full of water, and changing them thinking that must be the problem, only for it to persist...

Latest posts

Back