Landcruiser 80 series airbox into d22.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When fitting the snorkel do you need to remove the front passenger side panel to pull out pipework in there? If not how else do you get access to inside of it?

Unfortunately I (perhaps stupidly) cut off some of the mounting brackets on the box with an angle grinder :S

that's alright, just weld on some new brackets.

when you fit the snorkel you take off the plastic liner underneath the guard.
its a bastard to get your hand in to get some of the nuts on to bolt the snorkel up.

Alright well I finally fitted the airbox and snorkel together, yet to connect it up to the turbo though so Im still relying on my less than ideal pod filter. Was a pretty tight fit but appears all good. Not looking forward to having to empty the water trap though :S

IMG_20130408_091025_zps3b4f815d.jpg

Last edited:
Had a look through the thread but couldn't find the answer. Is this doable with a 2010 Str?

With the dual batteries? Or is there just not enough room?

Had a look through the thread but couldn't find the answer. Is this doable with a 2010 Str?

With the dual batteries? Or is there just not enough room?

Yes its doable with a 2.5L. You must remove the second battery and also the obvious old filter box. It should fit in after that. I looked into it but liked the dual cranked setup for when the winch goes in. When they doe I will put a big single battery as the main and isolate the passenger side stuff

Ah, so if using the 2nd battery position with a deep cycle in a dual battery set up it wont fit. Ah well, life goes on!

Hi Guys,

just completed this mod on the weekend. Could only get my hands on a 75series air box so i thought for $40 i'd give it a try. I think it turned out pretty well. Moved the fuel filter at the same time but, lost my mounting for the oil catch can. Find it a new home this weekend coming.

P1010858.jpg

P1010859.jpg

Hi Guys,

Well I am looking at swapping out the Surf airbox for a LC box (it's been sitting in the shed for about 6 months). Reasoning is the surf filters are hard to get hold of, especially if I need one up in the Kimberley or something.
I am ordering 3" exhaust pipe for the lid conversion so hopefully can get it done over the next couple of breaks.

Before I do it though I want to move the fuel filter; have you guys moved the whole bracket and re-used it? My bracket went when they did my dual battery install. As they also bent the metal fuel pipes, they are kinked in.

Did you utilise existing holes or drill though and bolt it in. I will post some pics once I get rolling.

Thanks

what size is the airbox,meaning the outside diameter,no wreckers where i live and the dealership(stealership) wants at least $1000 plus for it,i work at a fabrication shop,i it shouldn't be a problem for me to make it.

what size is the airbox,meaning the outside diameter,no wreckers where i live and the dealership(stealership) wants at least $1000 plus for it,i work at a fabrication shop,i it shouldn't be a problem for me to make it.

The lid modification?

just done the 80 series airbox swap so I thought I would post a few pics, actually relatively easy swap, well done to the person who originally thought of it! and before anyone mentions it I know that the extra couple bends between airbox and turbo isn't ideal but it allows me access to both my fuel filters, oil filter and can also access bottom hoses and mounts of intercooler.

Attachments

• DSCN2429.jpg
    DSCN2429.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 283
  • DSCN2411.jpg
    DSCN2411.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 300
  • DSCN2425.jpg
    DSCN2425.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 278
thought id pop back and after nearly a week of driving the vehicle my initial observations hold firm.....AWESOME! more torque at even lower revs, better pick up (even less turbo lag especially on hot days and on boost just off idle now), and got rid of 90% of weird induction type noise after fitting intercooler, even the mrs noticed difference after airbox and was blown away, not sure if would get same result without at least 2.5in exhaust and top mount but,

thought id pop back and after nearly a week of driving the vehicle my initial observations hold firm.....AWESOME! more torque at even lower revs, better pick up (even less turbo lag especially on hot days and on boost just off idle now), and got rid of 90% of weird induction type noise after fitting intercooler, even the mrs noticed difference after airbox and was blown away, not sure if would get same result without at least 2.5in exhaust and top mount but,
Sure you didn't accidentally leave the crankcase breather off? Feels like a different car when it's running on pure air and fuel!

its only a air temp sensor and I just put a 19mm hole in the inlet of the airbox and using original grommet relocated it, plenty of wire length, just unwrap harness and retape, see pic.... nope crankcase breather on lol, even finally got around to fitting a catch can.

Looks like a good mod, the stock pre filter does look fairly restrictive!

Just wondering if anyone managed to do this mod and fit a Forefront winch compatible intercooler kit or even the big front mount intercooler kit?

Cheers

Looks like a good mod, the stock pre filter does look fairly restrictive!

Just wondering if anyone managed to do this mod and fit a Forefront winch compatible intercooler kit or even the big front mount intercooler kit?

Cheers

hey mate, dont think it could be done.

Back