Jono

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jono

Reaction score
Hello All
I joined the forum on Friday. I have an 08 D40 Petrol Auto Dual Cab Navara ST-X. I Previously had a D22 Diesel Manual I would have kept it as I was very happy with it but Kevin 07's depreciation offer was to big a gift to pass up. I would have bought another diesel but at the time there were none available so Petrol Auto it is. Actually its proved pretty good, a lot more comfortable than the D22 both for interior room and drive.

I have fitted an ARB canopy, Rhino ute tray lining, tinting, Canvas seat covers, OL Bash plates, Polaris double Din nav and audio entertainment unit.

I recently did a trip to shark bay with the camper-van and overloaded a bit. Took the 4wd track out to the herald bite (sp?) in Peron National park. made it 99% of the way to my intended camp site before bottoming out in some soft sand and getting stuck. The Nav has standard suspension and the rear springs, almost flat as new ended up inverted slightly and bottoming out on the rougher track sections. I should have checked more carefully before going but then the D22 did the same tip efortlessley so I suppose I took t for granted that the D40 would to.

Now I have a suspension upgrade to plan ! The choices are Old Man Emu, Tough Dog or Blue Max - all feedback on these options welcome
There is a slight price difference between them, Tough Dog the most expensive but then they offer Adjustable foam cell 40mm shocks while the others do 30mm gas shockies.

I just bought some Off road equipment drawer on ebay and I have the 160L long range tank fitted so weight is already high and going to climb a bit more soon, so I think Medium springs for the back will be the go.

Also want to fit a bull bar, just have to decide between ARB Deluxe or Sahara which looks better but does not protect the headlights. There is also the I-Rox bull bar the appearance of which I did not like at first but it is steadily growing on me. My only concern about the I-rox i it really exposes the front suspension, perhaps good for approach angle but what about incidental damage?

I have not seen much info available on the D40 V6 Petrol, heaps on the diesels. I get 13.5 L per 100km from the Nav, 14L/100 if I fang it. Towing the camper trailer at around 1Ton I get 20L/100 at a 100Kmph. I have a boat that I tow, it is heavier but I have yet to calculate the consumption when towing this extra weight and drag.

So far I think it is a great ride things I like:
- power :devil:
- very smooth and quiet ride
- cruise control works well
- aircon is potent
- Auto box is pretty good on road and off
- good cabin room
- good seats
- good storage, the tie down rails are great
- I really like the fold up rear seats.

Things I don't like include:
- Poor turning circle
- poor reversing visibility with ARB canopy (rev camera a must)
- Cheap and nasty interior plastic trim, reminds me of the early 90's falcons
- Suspension poor and as standard vehicle sits too low
- Nissan service expensive roughly double what my mechanic charges
- Paint seems very thin and chips easily
- Side rails sit a bit low
- Possible auto trans issue in deep soft sand (trying to work it out)

Once the Bull bar, Suspension and drawers are fitted up I think I will be almost done - perhaps some spotties and maybe change the side steps. Oh anyone heard of any other exhaust options for the petrol v6:sarcastic:

Anyway that's enough from me, great forum lots of info

Cheers
JonO

G'day mate welcome to the forum.I have Ironman in my D22 and they are great and with customer service.The best thing you can do when going off road is take a D22 with you so it can keep pulling you out after you get stuck.lol

Latest posts

Back