Ironman Foam Cell Pro

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D40-4Life

Reaction score
Any Navara users put a set of IM foamcell PROs on their vehicle? If so can you let us know what has been the experience? I've heard alot of good things about these, but I have also heard that they are a bit short and affect articulation.
Since I'm only going to go touring and cape york with the nav and not hardcore 4x4, I'm wondering if articulation is that important to me.

Anyway, let us know how the foamcell pros have been for you. Thanks

I just purchased the Ironman suspension kit so I will let you know...What tyres you thinking of putting on after the lift ?...I’m hoping to be able to go as high as 33s

What tyres you thinking of putting on after the lift ?...I’m hoping to be able to go as high as 33s

Was only going to put my 31's on. I hear any higher and it will rub regardless.

How have the ironman kit held up? Nice and smooth off road?

Last edited:
I just purchased the Ironman suspension kit so I will let you know...What tyres you thinking of putting on after the lift ?...I’m hoping to be able to go as high as 33s
I put Bilstein shocks/struts on my D40. They have the reputation, and they're great on bitumen, but on the rough stuff I found them too harsh. So I changed to adjustable Tough Dogs and they are brilliant - able to tune them to suit the vehicle, and when I leave the bitumen and hit the rough stuff I turn them down and get a much more comfortable ride. They adjust from 1 to 9 and on the very rough stuff I turn them down to 1.

Monsta, how long have you had the ToughDogs? How often you go rough with it?
D40-4Life,
I first put the Tough Dogs on in 2011 when the D40 was only a few months old. I was attracted to them after the magazine 4WD Action (issue No. 165) did a very detailed comparative test of the 9 leading brands of shocks and named Tough Dog Foam Cell as the Best Overall Performer. I was particularly attracted by their assessment of comfort, both on-road and off-road. They tested the non-adjustable model, but the adjustable one is essentially the same shock but with adjustability.

I ran them for about 18 months and gave them a good workout and was very happy with them, but I was after a bit more lift in the front end and changed to the Bilsteins that have an adjustable base for the coil spring that clips into a selection of grooves around the strut and can therefore be raised higher. I ran them till last July when I finally got sick of the harshness of the Bilsteins' ride and put the Tough Dogs back on. I lost 10mm of lift but I regained the comfort of the Tough Dog ride. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner!

Since then I have given them a good workout on rough tracks . I don't do extreme off-road but I like to get to remote places. That means dirt roads and often means rough tracks and I'm extremely happy to have made the change back to the Tough Dogs.

D40-4Life,
I first put the Tough Dogs on in 2011 when the D40 was only a few months old. I was attracted to them after the magazine 4WD Action (issue No. 165) did a very detailed comparative test of the 9 leading brands of shocks and named Tough Dog Foam Cell as the Best Overall Performer. I was particularly attracted by their assessment of comfort, both on-road and off-road. They tested the non-adjustable model, but the adjustable one is essentially the same shock but with adjustability.

I ran them for about 18 months and gave them a good workout and was very happy with them, but I was after a bit more lift in the front end and changed to the Bilsteins that have an adjustable base for the coil spring that clips into a selection of grooves around the strut and can therefore be raised higher. I ran them till last July when I finally got sick of the harshness of the Bilsteins' ride and put the Tough Dogs back on. I lost 10mm of lift but I regained the comfort of the Tough Dog ride. I don't know why I didn't do it sooner!

Since then I have given them a good workout on rough tracks . I don't do extreme off-road but I like to get to remote places. That means dirt roads and often means rough tracks and I'm extremely happy to have made the change back to the Tough Dogs.

Glad i read this, i was about to buy Bilstein adjustable front struts. Might keep looking around. I have Rancho 5" in the rear of my Nav, might have a go at their front struts. The rears have held up amazingly well and are very comfortable.

I just saw that ironman foam cell pros now have a longer front struts for the D40 for the full 2 inch lift. This I think is new as I haven't seen it last year. however, they require you to get their UCA. I have heard that 40cm is the upper limit without new UCA.
However, the ironman stuff are not adjustable. I wonder what the pros and cons are. Do most people make an effort to adjust as they go from highway to dirt road driving?

Hey Cobez, do you adjust your rear ones often?

I think you mean 40mm.

40cm is a massive lift haha. Nah i don't adjust mine, i don't go offroad a great deal really, getting older these days, all mates have kids etc so we are more about the fishing these days. We rent houses for trips and fish mostly.

I mod my D40 for reliablity, driveability and comfort with some looks mostly now.

My first ever lift was Ironman, wouldn't ever touch the crap again. I put it down there with that Raw 4x4 crap that 4WD Supacentre sell. First set of rear shocks blew seals within 2 months, they were replaced under warranty, blew seals again, so got them replaced AGAIN, sold them on eGay and put the money towards Rancho gear.

Did have to change Rancho's though due to going 6" lift, needed extended shocks in the rear. Had them on 3 years and they still soak the bumps up onroad beautifully.

I too have not heard good things about Iron man gear. Although personally I can't talk for the Iron man Pro. What I can tell you is that some cartridges on the front can be just a bit short. That is the shock will stop (bottom) down travel just before the the control arm hits the coil bucket. Not good for the shock.

I have Bilstiens on my D40 I'll swear by them to BTW. They to are just a little short but there is away around that. Put a couple of washers on the shaft under where they go through the top arm. Problem solved. Gives that extra bit of down travel.

I have the Bilstiens in combination with Dobinson HD coils. Got a good 50mm lift. I will say on small irregularities in the road you feel those little bumps a bit more but hit a big hole and it just soaks it up.

Mono Tube shocks are the go as they can just dissipate heat so much better than twin wall (dual tube). For every day off roading twin wall are fine but do many hours on corrugated tracks and Mono tube is the winner every time. Very little fade. Only drawback is on the rear, if you get a big rock hit and dents the tube it's stuffed but you can fit guards on them to prevent that.

Keep in mind tyre wall stiffness can have quite an effect on ride to. I went from Hankook AT's to Falken AT3's and the ride improved considerably.

Well, got the ironman pro kit and HD front and 300Kg rear 35mm lift and I have to say, its been harsh. Harsher than the factory setup. Mind you, there isnt much weight in the rear yet, but still, ride quality is strikingly harsh.
Haven't had it over corrugations yet, but even on the black stuff, going over potholes and bumps, its been harsh.

Is this normal for any new setup? I'm beginning to regret my choices.

It'll be harsh because it's a single-rate spring that needs some weight in the back to give it something to do. Throw (say) 4 bags of cement in the back (should be +160kg) and see how it feels.

I should clarify that my ironman leaf springs are 300-500kg rating.

My D40 already sits at 2650kg with both driver and passengers, half a tank full of fuel and no load. I only have 150kg left to GVM. Not much left for gear and supplies. and the backend is still sitting very high. ie. big gap between tire and wheel arch.

things adding to weight is the roof rack platform, bull bar, winch, underbody protection and rock sliders. I can probably lighten the load by 50kg by removing the tub rack, but the tub is virtually empty after this. But even with all this at 2650kg, the car drives very harsh I'm told its the valving of the shockers. They aren't adjustable. Really regret getting ironman. Ironman tell me it drives fine, its normal, thats how they set these things up.

I've noticed rear wheels slipping while taking off in wet weather on a hill. Even slowly.
I'll try to put another 150kg in the back to test if it makes a difference to the ride comfort, but pretty sure it will solve my wet weather wheel slipping problem.

Do you think I should be using medium duty springs?

Not really, at 2650kg she's near the peak of her load capacity and should be on the heavy duties. Mine are ARB Dakar springs - dual rate, 300kg so I can fit all the crap in that I need (180kg of towball weight included). I took my winch off - saved 40kg right there - I wasn't using it anyway.

I wonder about the valving too. If it's valved too tightly, not only will the suspension feel a lot firmer, but the shocks will heat up very quickly.

Rear wheel slip can be suspension related but you'd think this only applied at moderate speeds, not when you're just getting moving. I'd have a look at the hardness of your tyres. I found that my BFG ATs would get quite gripless as they aged. Yokohama and Maxxis faired much better, and I use Maxxis exclusively now.

I might have to look into getting duel rate springs. But I'm not going to tow. And I'm only 150kg from gvm and the lift on the rear looked like it's huge. Not sure if 150kg is going to make much difference in the lift. Isn't it suppose to come down at least at 2650kg? Maybe the Ironman products are just stiffer.

How much lift did your Dakar 300kg give you at the rear?
Edit: just read in another thread U got 85mm.

Like corbez,
I have Hankook ATm they still have about 8mm of tread and the sipping are still good, but they are about 6-7 years old. I don't really like them, but use them in the summertime. They haven't been that great in off road situations. I run them at about 38 psi for the road. I suspect I'll need to let a bit down or get new tyres.

I'm looking at getting Falken wildpeaks or Maxxis later.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back