Intermittent issue with 7sp auto in manual shift mode

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHORIPAN

Reaction score
Has anyone had an issue with their 7sp auto not activating the manual mode when shifting across? On the odd occasion, when I shift across, nothing happens? Then the next day it will?? Any ideas.

Thanks

A friend of mine had the same issue. Checked micro switches by gearlever. There are 3 of them. If they are tested and working fine your other option is to get a complete cluster. Gauges and all. That was the only thing that solved his problem. He got a cluster which had 2000km less on than his original

It does depend on WHEN you're having the issue. This might not be your situation, but just in case it is ...

We noticed that the gearbox doesn't behave properly in 4LO - during some steep descents into creeks in 4LO, the car would pop out of first and into second, reducing the engine braking and requiring more foot braking. In 4HI and 2HI it never does this - manual mode stays strictly "manual". It's only in 4LO that the gearbox ignores the setting.

One user here (Raptorthumper, if memory serves) found a solution to the problem, although it's not ideal for everybody. Disconnect the servo plug from the back of the transfer case, and connect it to a switch which allows you to apply momentary power. 1 second of power will turn the servo 90 degrees or change the transfer case from 2WD to 4WD. A further 2 seconds of power applied would turn the servo a further 180 degrees, changing the ratio in the transfer case thus engaging 4LO. Done this way, the gearbox and the car's ECU have no idea at all that the gearbox has been manipulated and manual mode works as expected.

A friend of mine had the same issue. Checked micro switches by gearlever. There are 3 of them. If they are tested and working fine your other option is to get a complete cluster. Gauges and all. That was the only thing that solved his problem. He got a cluster which had 2000km less on than his original
Cheers for the info

It does depend on WHEN you're having the issue. This might not be your situation, but just in case it is ...

We noticed that the gearbox doesn't behave properly in 4LO - during some steep descents into creeks in 4LO, the car would pop out of first and into second, reducing the engine braking and requiring more foot braking. In 4HI and 2HI it never does this - manual mode stays strictly "manual". It's only in 4LO that the gearbox ignores the setting.

One user here (Raptorthumper, if memory serves) found a solution to the problem, although it's not ideal for everybody. Disconnect the servo plug from the back of the transfer case, and connect it to a switch which allows you to apply momentary power. 1 second of power will turn the servo 90 degrees or change the transfer case from 2WD to 4WD. A further 2 seconds of power applied would turn the servo a further 180 degrees, changing the ratio in the transfer case thus engaging 4LO. Done this way, the gearbox and the car's ECU have no idea at all that the gearbox has been manipulated and manual mode works as expected.
I have only noticed it during normal driving, only because I do more of that than offroad. Just last weekend coming back from Oberon and going up the steep hill along the Great Western Hwy when leaving Lithgow, I thought I would play around with the manual shift mode, and nothing happened. Tried it the next day and it worked?

Read this thread. It is the instrument cluster needing a reset.

https://www.navaraforum.com/threads/stx550-not-engaging-manual-mode.35575/

_

Hi all. Guess what. I also had the exact same problem with manual mode not working intermittently. After some months not at all actually... (tiptronic not working)
It's now fixed AND I didn't replace the instrument cluster.

I pulled the instrument cluster out and inspected it and pushed on all the components and looked at the soldering. Nothing that I could see as a bad solder joint or blown component using my phone's camera magnification.

I put the cluster back in and the theft light came on briefly before going out. Went for a drive and everything is working perfect again.

I believe the power cycle did a full software reboot and fixed the problem. You need to remember that this is a CAN bus network going to the auto transmission and a digital message is what tells the transmission what it should try to do.

I don't think anyone needs to replace the cluster. Just pull it out press on components if you want to and put it back in after 10mins.

Now I'm wondering if just pulling the battery terminals off for a while would of fixed this???

___

Last edited:
I have the same issue on my V6, I know from past the problem is caused by dry solder joints in the meter unit. When you have pressed it together it has probably fixed the issue, I have tried the battery reset and didn't work for me. Last time I found a couple of dry solder joints, re-soldered and problem was fixed. I'll do a how to when I get the instrument cluster out of the new V6 and post it up

Latest posts

Back