Interesting.

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds excellent. $1200 is a bit of money to spend but many would say it's worth it.

What's not "worth it" is taking the car back to Nissan for a service afterwards, because they could very easily reflash the default tune on the car. You'd hope that this guy would have stored the "adjustments" (or even given them to you on a USB stick) so that they can quickly be rewritten to the ECU again.

Notice (near the start) where the guy talks about iDrive - it's like a No Limits chip. Probably about $5 in parts (including connectors etc) and people pay $150 or more, and all it's doing is modifying the signal to the ECU regarding the amount of throttle being applied. No extra power there at all - so don't bother with those things. They might make you feel like your car is performing better, but a graph of the ECU's throttle position PID will reveal that iDrive/No Limits are just trickery.

Longevity of the engine is another consideration. If you ask more of it, it will spend more of its life to deliver that power. This may or may not be of concern, the extra ponies would certainly be nice and you can always service it a little more frequently and use better oils etc. Shame they didn't get to talking about fuel consumption much more than "yeah we can make it more economical".

Longevity of the engine is another consideration. If you ask more of it, it will spend more of its life to deliver that power.
Yep, if play you will pay. To me 140 Kw's out of 2.5L diesel = A fairly high stressed engine for starters. We all would love more power. If you have more power over stock, chances are you're going to take advantage of it. I would :biggrin: With anything mechanical you only have one guaranty- at some point in time it's going to break down. Your just bring that day forward.:)

Yep, if play you will pay. To me 140 Kw's out of 2.5L diesel = A fairly high stressed engine for starters. We all would love more power. If you have more power over stock, chances are you're going to take advantage of it. I would :biggrin: With anything mechanical you only have one guaranty- at some point in time it's going to break down. Your just bring that day forward.:)
I am not convinced that the yd25 is stressed out at 140 kw, i have a 2007 d40rx ( think its the 126kw version... dunno) and after 365000k the crankshaft snapped, this wasnt due to a fault with the strength of the engine, it was due to 1 bolt on the #4 bearing cap not engaged in the threads and backed out, this is where the crank snapped, i didnt drive like a nana, but i didnt thrash it either, it would regularly see 3500rpm

The heat was cracked as well, but this is more due to the properties of aluminium and its reaction to the thermal expansion/contraction and cylinder pressure cycles ( read metal fatigue), my existing valve train went into my new head

The rest of the engine was near new, cylinders and pistons where still standard size spec and apart from a hone and new rings ( cause i am there anyways) where all reused, the timing chain - though i agree the single row was a bad design choice - wouldnt limit the power curve of the engine, it is a wearable part and is also on a replacement schedule

Just queitly, apart from the inconvenience of the snapped crank and unexpected discovery of a cracked head the engine i think is overall pretty good

Latest posts

Back