Intercooler

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hmmm..... its the only one that will friggen fit! Cant complain for $99 tho.. Bit worried that it might strangle the motor. Oh well, it will fit easily, looks like ican mount it on a bit of ally flat bar where the steering fluid cooler goes, and my way of looking at it is its not going to block too much flow to the rad.

hey guys, if you are looking for a way to tap into for your boost sensor, have a look at frozenboost.com, they have an inlet pipe with three connections, all you do is cut a bit of silicone hose to fit it into your intake and connect your vacuum hose and away you go! the other two fittings you can either blank off using 1/8 bolts, or you can go water injection, its the easiest way i can think of to do it and by far the best and best looking too, i should add i have nothing to do with them, i just happen to have one of their kits, loving my water to air setup! :D:rock:

hey slidedriver, what can you tell us about your frozen boost system? easy to fit? Cost? how does it fit in, leave room for a winch?
can you throw up some pics?

hey ben, sorry i havent had a chance to reply to your pm you sent me, thanks for the taking the time to send something back, as far as the cooler, i got the 350hp kit, some hoses, clamps, bosch pump and those awesome little connectors for the boost t and water injection (next on the cards) for about $350-400, then just got some brackets made up from the metal fab guys across the road from my work, so i'f your good with metal/have a welder (only thing stopping me from making it all myself) then your golden, i'll try to dig up some photos off my phone, as far as fitting a winch, not a problem in the world, the heat exchanger fits really nice in the space infront or the a/c condenser, would fit behind a bumperbar too.... so no worries about fitting a winch....

Look forward to the pics.

I dont know much about water to air ICs. Do they have a core that is likely to protect the engine in the event of a blown turbo?

From the little I know about these they seem to be the go both price and effectiveness wise, I cant help but wonder why more guys arent fitting them to Navaras?

i think the reason not many people do this sort of stuff is that for alot of people, a nav is just something to tow with or load stuff in the back, they dont want better power or anything like that, and for the kits that are out there its crazily expencive, it kinda pisses me off that you can go into any autobarn/repco/ricer shop and slap down $300 and walk out with a front mount intercooler kit for a 180sx/wrx/evo, with everything you need and no need to cut anything, everything is designed to fit around what you already have, yet for a nav its $1200 and you need to put a massive hole in your bullbar mount and run it through the wheel arch, and then when your done with fitting it, you dont even notice any difference, anyways, rant over.... as far as catching turbo bits, i would say yes, the core is about 5-6inches deep which should catch everything, that said you have water flowing thought that core not air, should something go though it, you'll have water getting dumped into your intake, that said, everyone i have ever heard has said when their turbo has gone it made a bit popping noise, if your quick about it you could shut it off in time and it would just cost you a new intercooler and turbo......

i should add, reason for me going the water to air route was simple, i wanted something with short piping for minimal turbo lag, as well as wanting the space for any extra items i might put in at a later date, winch or 80series air box for example, plus for me electrics is pretty easy being a mechanic, a simple relay and switch controls the thermo fan and the waterpump is piggy backed off the ciggy lighter (pump only draws 3amps) and it all gets shut off when i pull the key so theres no way of forgetting to turn off the fan or pump, plus this way i can have both on with the motor off to cool the water and cool the intake charge next time i start it up... or which the fan off for water crossings or the like..... also best thing about the water to air cooler is that there is no need to cut anything, weld anything, modify anything, everything is protected and secured, and you get the cooling performance of a front mount with the minimal turbo lag of a top mount.... its great going for a drive, popping the bonnet and the intercooler is either warm or room temp, you can put your hand on it and it doesnt burn, and 20 seconds later its cool to the touch....

hmmm..... its the only one that will friggen fit! Cant complain for $99 tho.. Bit worried that it might strangle the motor. Oh well, it will fit easily, looks like ican mount it on a bit of ally flat bar where the steering fluid cooler goes, and my way of looking at it is its not going to block too much flow to the rad.

Will be interesting to see what you come up with fitting wise.

I'm no expert but I wouldnt think it would strangle the motor, just reduce the effectiveness compared to a bigger core.

After more of a look Im not sure the 300x280 core will fit, would be bloody tight if it did, I dont think I can be bothered playing around with it.
Would fit nicely if the outlets were positioned differently, like the modyourcar kit.

Yeah, on paper it should flow as much as a 2.25-2.5" pipe, based on cross sectional area of the 7 cores, but that is just based on what i could see from the photo, not really taking into acount surface friction, and if the core is bad quality, could be anything, plus i imagine with a narrow core like that the air will be travelling a bit fast to get good cooling time. The website claims 1020CFM, but they claim 1020CFM for all their intercoolers! I orderd plumbing for 2.25 hot side, 2" cold, was planning to see if i colud get the two pieces of silicone past the top passenger side cnr of the rad with cutting or heating and folding the plastic shroud, and maybe folding some of th sheet metal away abit, failing that, enlarging the hole the loom goes thru and run 2nd pipe thru that. Il hav to wait till it all arrives in the mail.
After perusing frozen boost site tho seriously thinking about ordering a 350hp setup and a davies craig thermoswitch.

Last edited:
the other advantage of a water to air setup is when you are going slow in the bush but with high engine loads, the intercooler effectiveness doesn't change. as long as the thermo fans are pushing air through the radiator core you are getting cool air. that's the problem also with standard air to air setups, at slow speeds there isn't enough air passing over the core to cool the intake charge very well.

hey guys, if you are looking for a way to tap into for your boost sensor, have a look at frozenboost.com, they have an inlet pipe with three connections, all you do is cut a bit of silicone hose to fit it into your intake and connect your vacuum hose and away you go! the other two fittings you can either blank off using 1/8 bolts, or you can go water injection, its the easiest way i can think of to do it and by far the best and best looking too, i should add i have nothing to do with them, i just happen to have one of their kits, loving my water to air setup! :D:rock:

Some pics if you can thanks. I'm considering one of these kits too. Cheers

hey ben, sorry i havent had a chance to reply to your pm you sent me, thanks for the taking the time to send something back, as far as the cooler, i got the 350hp kit, some hoses, clamps, bosch pump and those awesome little connectors for the boost t and water injection (next on the cards) for about $350-400, then just got some brackets made up from the metal fab guys across the road from my work, so i'f your good with metal/have a welder (only thing stopping me from making it all myself) then your golden, i'll try to dig up some photos off my phone, as far as fitting a winch, not a problem in the world, the heat exchanger fits really nice in the space infront or the a/c condenser, would fit behind a bumperbar too.... so no worries about fitting a winch....
Hi slidedriver, ive bought the same kit and had it arrive today, some pics of how you fitted yours and what the brackets you got made up look like would help immensely!!

I caught my turbo too late on a camping trip over the australia day long weekend and now in the process of rebuilding my engine

thanks Dan

ah man thats no good, hope it doesnt get too expencive! um, happy to post pics, just got to get them off my phone to the computer, then remember how to post them on here, if i remember there is a tutorial on here somewhere, not the best with computers unfortionatly, unless someone wants to pm me their number and i can mms them so they can post them up for me? :love sign:

Has anyone done a before and after dyno run with an I/C (not manufacturers claims, but real world)? I want to see some figures before I commit my time and money to this project.

Hi slidedriver, ive bought the same kit and had it arrive today, some pics of how you fitted yours and what the brackets you got made up look like would help immensely!!

I caught my turbo too late on a camping trip over the australia day long weekend and now in the process of rebuilding my engine

thanks Dan

That sux about your turbo man- good luck with the inter cooler install.

Throw up some install pics if you get a chance :)

Cheers

Intercooler Pics.

Posting some photos from Slidedriver

Attachments

• IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_8870.jpg
    IMG_8870.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_6710.jpg
    IMG_6710.jpg