Improving handling

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newnav100

Reaction score
Hi I’ve just replaced the stock shocks with heavy duty units on my 08 d22 because the handling was shocking. Although it has improved slightly it still handles like a bag of shit. Rolls in corners and every little bump shakes the whole cabin. Is their something else i should be looking at. Raising the torsion bars? New body mounts?

Which type of "heavy duty" shockies did you use?

If the front has sagged it could be too close to the bump stops. There is a formula in the manual to get it back to factory height. Would normally require a wheel alignment also. Or you could just go for somewhere in the middle of travel (between bump stops).

If the rear has sagged there's probably not much you can do other than replace the springs with a good after market set (the factory springs are soft and usually sag).

Body mounts can make a surprising difference for a while, but once they settle in (say in around 12 months) they will be the same as always.

People usually give them a small lift via replacement rear springs and adjusting the torsion bars, with a good set of shockies this can make for a much better ride. Though it is a workhorse type ute (a somewhat "agricultural" one at that) to begin with and I'm not sure they handle better than from factory this way (ie. people usually lower cars for better handling) but they can be more comfortable.

Which type of "heavy duty" shockies did you use?

If the front has sagged it could be too close to the bump stops. There is a formula in the manual to get it back to factory height. Would normally require a wheel alignment also. Or you could just go for somewhere in the middle of travel (between bump stops).

If the rear has sagged there's probably not much you can do other than replace the springs with a good after market set (the factory springs are soft and usually sag).

Body mounts can make a surprising difference for a while, but once they settle in (say in around 12 months) they will be the same as always.

People usually give them a small lift via replacement rear springs and adjusting the torsion bars, with a good set of shockies this can make for a much better ride. Though it is a workhorse type ute (a somewhat "agricultural" one at that) to begin with and I'm not sure they handle better than from factory this way (ie. people usually lower cars for better handling) but they can be more comfortable.
I used ultima heavy duty 38mm front and back. I’ll have to look in the manual to see what height they should be at. I was only thinking body mounts because it rattles and squeaks over bumps . And yeah comfortable is what I’m aiming for

Stock shocks are pathetically shite from new...Change them straight away....100% recommend Bilstein!
Body roll...fit a new 20-22mm front anti roll bar. New Torsion bars and rear springs will benefit too.

Stock shocks are pathetically shite from new...Change them straight away....100% recommend Bilstein!
Body roll...fit a new 20-22mm front anti roll bar. New Torsion bars and rear springs will benefit too.
Already changed the shocks. Made a little difference but not a lot

Update. I raised the torsion bars. Drivers side was 130cms took it to 135. Passenger side was 120 took it to 135. Holy crap what a difference it made. It handles bumps with ease now without feeling like I’d hit a tree. Next I’m gonna go anti roll bar and 300kg tough dog springs

This is some helpful info as my stick springs and shocks at 250k are quite old and tired.

I too noticed my fronts are very close to the bump stops, come to think of it the rears too. Will need to save some funds to upgrade the lot.

aside from Bilsten shocks any recommendations for springs? Just stock replacement equipment.

Update. I raised the torsion bars. Drivers side was 130cms took it to 135. Passenger side was 120 took it to 135. Holy crap what a difference it made. It handles bumps with ease now without feeling like I’d hit a tree. Next I’m gonna go anti roll bar and 300kg tough dog springs
Good to hear. Makes a difference when the suspension has some travel! lol.

If you're after comfort you might find lower rated springs a little more forgiving (unless you need the 300kg rating for loads).

The squeaking could be body mounts, but is more likely to be worn rubbers and bushes in the suspension. I changed the mounts on mine a while back. Used to make all sorts of loud "clunking" noises at roundabouts which I was sure were ball joints. So after changing upper/lower ball joints and steering which made absolutely no difference, I replaced cabin mounts which fixed it completely. lol.

This is some helpful info as my stick springs and shocks at 250k are quite old and tired.

I too noticed my fronts are very close to the bump stops, come to think of it the rears too. Will need to save some funds to upgrade the lot.

aside from Bilsten shocks any recommendations for springs? Just stock replacement equipment.
Give Zordo a call.

Latest posts

Back