Ignition barrel

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldie

Reaction score
Another stupid question or maybe not.
For some time now, to get the radio to work, I've had to jiggle the key in the barrel. The Nav starts and shuts off with the key.
Can I assume the barrel is stuffed or is it possible it's in the plug connection somewhere.
Cheers
Oldie

Howdy bloke, I'd say key ! I'd be getting that looked at asap, you can buy complete lock kits or Nissan will sell you a new kit matched to your old key cut...

So will these guys,,,,,
Try Partsouq or Anayama for key kits.... I need one too, I've been caught twice at the door, just won't open...

It could also be build up on the connector plates in the lock... pull it apart and clean it... mines a worn key, yours sounds like that plastic plate with the connectors infused into them...could be just dirty bloke....

I had a problem with the key not wanting to open the door a while back. Gave the locks a spray with something (can't remember whether it was wd40 or one of the others) and noticed lots of red central Australian dust exit. Never had a problem since. Gave the ignition switch a spray also, not that it was a problem though.

Some years ago I had a similar incident, and I disassembled the ignition switch to discover that the contacts weren't as clean as they ought to be. A short time later, with clean contacts, the ignition worked again as expected.

If your ignition switch comes in two parts - key section and switch section - it ought to be possible to separate the parts, putting a newer switch on your old barrel (saving you the trouble of replacing all the locks) or just buy a whole new set (example: here).

i've had that before with slow electric windows. to much volt drop across the ignition key. cleaned up the contacts and its all good.

Thanks for the replies.
I never thought of doing it but should have, I'll give it a shot of contact cleaner up the barrel and see what happens.
I'll get back to ya's

Well gave the barrel 3 good shots of contact cleaner and worked the key on and off quite a few times. Not sure what has happened but it seems to be a bit more clicky or clunky, take ya pick on that haha. Might have loosened up dirt, dunno.
Radio appears to be turning on ok, I'll have to give it a bit of time and see if it lasts.

I'm not sure about your ignition but squirting contact down the barrel won't reach those connector plates... have a look on a parts fiche and see, it may have reached that area... But as Tony mentioned, they come in two sections...
Anyway, it's not hard to remove and replace if it doesn't improve... cheers

Latest posts

Back