I want to fit tray

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reece

Reaction score
Hi all I have a Spanish built 2012 D40 with a style side which I would like to change over to a tray and fit a canopy onto.
Is there anything special I should be looking out for and is it hard to do.
If anyone has pictures of it done and with canopy to give me ideas would be great.

Hi, and Welcome. Although I never done such a conversion I can't really envisage any big problems. From the nuts and bolts side of it it should be unbolt, take off. Bolt on new tray. Keep in mind you will need a tray suitable for a Spanish built truck as the chassis spacings are different between the Thai and Spanish built. The correct fuel tank filler and bracketing will be needed. There is a vent line that comes up close to the filler neck section. Check out the venting you have there now. It may be possible to salvage the filler pipe section and adapt and modify for the tray but honestly I don't know.

Lights would be something that needs close attention. The fittings and connections on there now are not going to suit the lights on the tray so a careful track, trace and label of all wiring before remove would be prudent. I would take a guess loom length will be long enough but will need reterminating on the ends of course.

Work out what weights you'll be carrying first ! Some models are known for breaking chassis and need the rails strengthened, I think the issue stems from people building extended duel cab trays and fitting air bags to help with the load... And as stated, the positioning of the duel cab tray mounts on the rails adds to this issue!

Don't stress, find a good metal fab man and do it right! Welding extra supports on rails and tray mounts is nothing now days- I think there's a kit for the rail support to fit air bags..

Have fun... oh,,and make sure you find a quality welder fab man, welding rails- I always thought was illegal, but things have changed. Just make sure you look into it thoroughly ... insurance will use ANY excuse to deny claims! Make sure it's engineered and tagged ! Do it right and enjoy that piece of mind on the trails and ROADS, the last thing we need is the Ute to lose its tail on the freeway huh cheers

trays are dime a dozen. talk to any shop about that. highly recommend to use aftermarket led lights instead of the originals which some companies like to do.
the hard part is getting a canopy to fit what size the tray is built to.

Hi, and Welcome. Although I never done such a conversion I can't really envisage any big problems. From the nuts and bolts side of it it should be unbolt, take off. Bolt on new tray. Keep in mind you will need a tray suitable for a Spanish built truck as the chassis spacings are different between the Thai and Spanish built. The correct fuel tank filler and bracketing will be needed. There is a vent line that comes up close to the filler neck section. Check out the venting you have there now. It may be possible to salvage the filler pipe section and adapt and modify for the tray but honestly I don't know.

Lights would be something that needs close attention. The fittings and connections on there now are not going to suit the lights on the tray so a careful track, trace and label of all wiring before remove would be prudent. I would take a guess loom length will be long enough but will need reterminating on the ends of course.
Yeah there's nothing to it! Unbolt, unplug and remove.... I've seen one made into a very cleaver camper trailer too.. canopy on the tub with a roof rack over it with a roof top tent... very neat little unit, sealed tray for the gear and a roof rack big enough for a tent and more, very cleaver ...

Work out what weights you'll be carrying first ! Some models are known for breaking chassis and need the rails strengthened, I think the issue stems from people building extended duel cab trays and fitting air bags to help with the load..
ALL utes suffer that problem.
people fitting lengthened trays then beefing up the suspension to cope with the overloading. something has to give and its usually the chassis.

my advice keep the tray short as possible and be aware that load behind the rear axle acts like a heavier load.

ALL utes suffer that problem.
people fitting lengthened trays then beefing up the suspension to cope with the overloading. something has to give and its usually the chassis.

my advice keep the tray short as possible and be aware that load behind the rear axle acts like a heavier load.
Yes too true! I always wanted to brace mine...

The duel cabs suffered more didn't they, those tray mounts, isn't there only two on the rail for the tray on duel cabs??.

Happy Easter break to bloke... and to ALL;)

Yes too true! I always wanted to brace mine...

The duel cabs suffered more didn't they, those tray mounts, isn't there only two on the rail for the tray on duel cabs??.

Happy Easter break to bloke... and to ALL;)
for the size of the tray its only two a side. even with single cab its only 3 per side.
dual cabs suffer mostly because all the weight sits behind the axle. further back you go the more leverage effect the weight has.
with single cabs the weight can sit forward of the rear axle so it gets shared by front and rear axles.

but having said that, people are idiots and do not realize how heavy their load is. "i only want to do one trip".
we weighed one of our loads (forklift has scales) and it was ~1200kg. thing is people come in with bigger loads all the time.
then complain about springs bending, tires not lasting and finally broken chassis.

on my NP300 original filler nozzle fitted between tray and cab...space between at its narrowest just above tube is 75mm.. (better if it was 85mm) don't bend anything to fit ". breather tube has rubber wrapt around it stop vibrating on tray

Attachments

• navara filler 2.jpg
    navara filler 2.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 18
  • navara filler 1.jpg
    navara filler 1.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 19
Hi all I have a Spanish built 2012 D40 with a style side which I would like to change over to a tray and fit a canopy onto.
Is there anything special I should be looking out for and is it hard to do.
If anyone has pictures of it done and with canopy to give me ideas would be great.

Rustys complete conversion video on you tube

to me that tray is a bit to long.
also not a fan of the L brackets connecting to the chassis. also you need to have a separator between the aluminum deck and steel brackets, otherwise it will corrode.
i see they have no rear light protectors, so water will blast up into the back of the lights and eventually leak into them. not to mention the odd rock.

while aluminium is good choice in keeping down weight, the simple fact that its all so big, plus all the extra fuel from the long range tank, means your not going to be carrying much load without being overloaded.
double cabs are a poor choice when you need to carry a lot of weight.

Here’s a few to give you an idea.

Attachments

• C356244D-2BBF-4A50-8C12-60611BA8D8AE.jpeg
    C356244D-2BBF-4A50-8C12-60611BA8D8AE.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 18
  • C7A1EFD4-3ED7-41B0-8019-1F7DCA8A1949.jpeg
    C7A1EFD4-3ED7-41B0-8019-1F7DCA8A1949.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 178
  • BFFB1E6D-F3AF-4E7F-8E32-A1DEAE3B6EA7.jpeg
    BFFB1E6D-F3AF-4E7F-8E32-A1DEAE3B6EA7.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 19
Yes mate. 1800x1800. Canvas sides, also has fly screen roll up sides inside for comfort when I’m in longer road trips and overnighting in my swag in back. Stainless roof. Heaps of room and a really well made tray and canopy set up

c7a1efd4-3ed7-41b0-8019-1f7dca8a1949-jpeg.34998

sorry Tms40, not trying to pick on you but that pic is a good example of why ute chassis break. (other pic has standard tow ball)
deck to long, extended tow ball. add in poor loading of lots of gear and a hefty trailer and you have a winner.

Lucky my touring is done with a swag fridge n camp chair then. I wouldn’t ever have more than 150kg in the tray. If I tow it’s the light tinnie you can see or my 750kg camper trailer. I’ve go zero concerns

Lucky my touring is done with a swag fridge n camp chair then. I wouldn’t ever have more than 150kg in the tray. If I tow it’s the light tinnie you can see or my 750kg camper trailer. I’ve go zero concerns
yeah. the problem comes when people stack em full of stuff. got deck space lets fill it.

That's a shame, it's a nice looking Ute;) I'd care!

I think its like what's been said before, air bags not fitted with support and the positioning of the rail to tray mounts..
Keep it light and you should be right eh

I like the colour of that canvas too, who did the work?
Mine needs doing and I want to go the darker grey and in canvas...

Good looking Ute bloke,, man there's some loved navs on here eh..

Look I love my Ute and I understand the concerns but I honestly travel very light. Swagging it’s is my primary mode of travelling. I like remote places and very quick set up/unpack. When I hit 60 and retirment I’ll upgrade the rig and get a van.
Cant help you with who made the canopy. Redmans in Atherton did the tray and the canopy was done when that was fabricated so I’m not sure who did the canvas work. It’s actually black in colour and the type of canvas material I haven’t seen since.

Latest posts

Back