I finally got a Ute...

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellzz1[972

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

My name is Kelly and I finally have my own ute..and her name is Harley.

Harley is a 2012 D40 Navara ST (Spanish Built) Twin Cab with 114500kms on the clock when I picked her up.

I also own a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder and several years ago I also owned a Nissan Patrol til hubby rolled it, then I purchased a Ford Maverick (my Nissan in disguise) to replace that one. ATM its sitting at the farm as I hope at a later date want to get it back on the road again as its a seven seater. But that's only a hope and that will be sometime down the track, maybe when i need it to cart the future grandchildren around ..lol

I have always wanted a dual cab ute, I have driven ford rangers, hilux's as well as a tritons. But due to the roominess of the D40 I choose it. when you can fit 2 big built ppl in the front and 3 big built ppl in the back (of the cab) and you don't hear any complaints from such ppl on a 2hr + drive, you know you have chosen the right one.

Going from the Pathfinder (automatic and petrol) to the Navara (manual and diesel) has been quite interesting. Both vehicles have their own querkiness about them.

I'm hoping to add my own flare to the Harley soon, starting with the most important thing...a bullbar and lights to suit. At a later date, I will be adding things like an UHF, underneath protection, a bonnet shield, window tint and anything else that I believe that will be needed to spruce her up and give her character.

So far I have learnt a lot from reading many threads on this site and what members have done to the pride and joys. Hopefully I will be able to learn a lot more.

Kelly this maybe of interest to you.

I got my Thai built 2011 Navara three years ago with 125,000km. Within weeks of getting it I took it (and my KTM enduro bike on the back) to Well 9 on the Canning Stock Route for a short test. We accessed the CSR from Glenayle Station. We camped near Well 9 then the next day went from Well 9 to Well 12 return. I had a mate with me and we tagged teamed between riding and driving.

The Navara was dead stock. That was a good thing as I needed a starting point. The first thing I learned was the suspension was not up for a track like the CSR. Even with a light load it was too soft and lacked ground clearance. The standard non existent under body protection was another problem. No bull bar didn't help either as some parts of the track were narrow with branches to push out of the way.

So I came back with a list of upgrades as our plan was to do the full CSR on our motorbikes with our 4wd's supporting us.

I installed 3mm steel bash plates to cover the motor and transmission. I picked up a second hand ARB steel bull bar for $500. I got unbranded HD front struts with Kings KFDR-70EHD springs, Dobinson 150kg constant load rear leafs with unbranded HD shocks. That suspension upgrade lifted it about 45mm.

Then came a 50 litre water tank and second battery under the tray, 9" LED driving lights, LED headlight bulbs and an android head unit so I could run Backcountry Navigator topography maps ... Oricom 80CH UHF, extra USB sockets in the cab, remote controlled side mounted camp lights and a $100 snorkel kit off eBay ... and I can't see the difference between it and the very expensive Safari brand. I'm sure it's the same thing without the sticker.

Last year we did the full CSR from north to south and the Navara and the upgrades listed above didn't miss beat. Didn't even get a puncture after 1700km, four deserts and 820 sand dunes. It was a good test for man and machines ... especially for the two of us the wrong side of 60 on enduro motorcycles!

After the torture that is the CSR the front struts and rear shocks were in poor shape which is the usual outcome. I've now changed the front to Formula 4x4 struts and fitted Koni Red adjustable shocks to the rear. I've since done the Holland Track a couple of times and that combination is great.

This a short 4 minute video. I'm in the red/blue enduro pants and black body armour. My Navara with it's black Plastidip painted bonnet was piloted by a friend.

Last edited:
Kelly this maybe of interest to you.

I got my Thai built 2011 Navara three years ago with 125,000km. Within weeks of getting it I took it (and my KTM enduro bike on the back) to Well 9 on the Canning Stock Route for a short test. We accessed the CSR from Glenayle Station. We camped near Well 9 then the next day went from Well 9 to Well 12 return. I had a mate with me and we tagged teamed between riding and driving.

The Navara was dead stock. That was a good thing as I needed a starting point. The first thing I learned was the suspension was not up for a track like the CSR. Even with a light load it was too soft and lacked ground clearance. The standard non existent under body protection was another problem. No bull bar didn't help either as some parts of the track were narrow with branches to push out of the way.

So I came back with a list of upgrades as our plan was to do the full CSR on our motorbikes with our 4wd's supporting us.

I installed 3mm steel bash plates to cover the motor and transmission. I picked up a second hand ARB steel bull bar for $500. I got unbranded HD front struts with Kings KFDR-70EHD springs, Dobinson 150kg constant load rear leafs with unbranded HD shocks. That suspension upgrade lifted it about 45mm.

Then came a 50 litre water tank and second battery under the tray, 9" LED driving lights, LED headlight bulbs and an android head unit so I could run Backcountry Navigator topography maps ... Oricom 80CH UHF, extra USB sockets in the cab, remote controlled side mounted camp lights and a $100 snorkel kit off eBay ... and I can't see the difference between it and the very expensive Safari brand. I'm sure it's the same thing without the sticker.

Last year we did the full CSR from north to south and the Navara and the upgrades listed above didn't miss beat. Didn't even get a puncture after 1700km, four deserts and 820 sand dunes. It was a good test for man and machines ... especially for the two of us the wrong side of 60 on enduro motorcycles!

After the torture that is the CSR the front struts and rear shocks were in poor shape which is the usual outcome. I've now changed the front to Formula 4x4 struts and fitted Koni Red adjustable shocks to the rear. I've since done the Holland Track a couple of times and that combination is great.

This a short 4 minute video. I'm in the red/blue enduro pants and black body armour. My Navara with it's black Plastidip painted bonnet was piloted by a friend.

Ummm, if you ever need another tool box for your trips, yell out! Mine is set up as a toy carrier for an 98 XR! Soooo if I drop the seXR in Vic you could have another recovery vehicle for the bikes, or if someone gets lazyyy ;)
Plus I get to see a track I wouldn't take on my own, win win !

Im guessing once this prison sentence is over in Vic you could organise a trip that would turn into a caravan of navs ;)
Mannn I'm sooooo keen to get out there! As I wrote, if you needs hands,,yell out!

The Canning Stock Route is closed at present. You could do the bit from Wiluna to Well 5 but after that you're mostly traversing Martu land requiring permits all the way to Well 51 and Bililuna near Wolfe Creek Crater. The local Rangers are suggesting no permits will be issued until 2022 but I reckon commercial realities will change their mind. The local communities (Wiluna, Parnngurr, Kunawarritjj and Bililuna) have grown to rely on CSR travelers buying fuel in particular ... at up to $4 per litre. They provide a much needed service and probably make a reasonable margin which helps those communities.

We left Wolfe Creek on 7 August 2019 and rode into Wiluna as hardened Western Desert men on 18 August 2019. It's a fantastic experience and one of those times in life you feel very much alive. It requires considered preparation as it's one of the most remote and therefore dangerous tracks in the world.

We're contemplating doing it on motorcycles again in 2022 before we get too old! An Armada of Navs would be sight to behold.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Harley is short for “Should’ve been a Harley”

Hubby has been looking at Harleys to buy as he really wanted to get one for himself, but instead got me my Ute that I have always wanted.

On Thursday I’m heading to ARB to price a bullbar and sides as well. I have already got the lights courtesy of my brother. He has given me 2 narva bull lights and a light bar.

Bash plates are definitely on the list to buy as well. Also I want to give Harley some height. What do you all recommend.

Latest posts

Back