Hydro carbon clean

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benengel

Reaction score
has any one had any experience with the hydrogren carbon cleans for cleaning out carbon deposits?
Been quoted 200nzd for a hydrogren carbon clean for a 2011 yd25 d22.
Or is it better to just rip of the intake manifold and just do it the old school way?

if its the system i'm thinking of, its a hell of a job because they need to unbolt the cat off the exhaust (otherwise it gets blocked up).

is the intake system clogged up enough to cause a problem? most good manifolds are designed for a certain amount of crud and its perfectly fine. some like certain mitsi's where they stuffed that up and have to pull intakes off every so often to clean them out.

the other option here is water injection system. use small nozzle and it will clean as you drive. just run it now and then.

I was going to do it more as a preventative maintenance.
Here is an example of what I'm meaning
http://www.carboncleaning.co.nz/
that crowd is complete utter snake oil BS scummy rip off.

there used to be a system that ran a proper cleaning solution down the intake that rips out every bit of build up. hence you had to unbolt the exhaust to stop it from clogging up.
the poor mans way is diesel egr intake cleaner. i can't remember who makes it.
spraying straight water down the intake works as well.

i like water injection because its slower, less likely to block up the cat. if you run it at cruise you will also clean out the egr valve.

Cheers for the info tweake.
Might save my money and just wait for a rainy day and give it a go myself, that's even if it needs cleaning which at 120k on the clock i assume it should be fine.

tweake is 100% on the money.

It is not even old school ..... it is the correct way, now and as it has always been. Remove the intake manifold and clean it out correctly. Have a vacuum cleaner on hand to clean the cylinder head runner as you will need it to stop loose carbon falling into cylinders. Vacuum out the intake runner in the head, then carefully poke a strip of cloth as far down as you can, loosen the carbon material and vacuum out the loose material. IMPORTANT .... don't forget to remove cloth plug you have put in.

"Some" cleaning systems "may remove" the loose oily deposits that are in the intake system however the caked on carbon will still sit there.
Blocking the catalytic converter or DPF is always an issue however more of a concern is running any loose material thru the engine cylinders.
While you are doing this remove the inter-cooler and flush it out as it will have engine oil from the breather thru the internal tubes.

Once you have done that fit a quality catch can/ vapor separator between the crankcase breather and the intake manifold and EGR blanking plate or restrictor. Warning ..... from an emissions perspective these plates are illegal and in some case's will set a fault code. Do your own research about these.

The caked up mess in the intake is a result of buildup of the oil vapor carried with blow-by from the crankcase into the intake and the hot exhaust gas from the EGR valve.

That should keep you busy for the weekend :)

Thanks for all that information and advice with the vaccum.
That was my main concern with the hydrogen clean.. I assumed it would get all the new fresh sludge but not the 9 year old sludge that has been caked on.
Iv noticed there seems to been oil residue come out of the rubber inter cooler pipes so I'll definitely give that a clean aswell. Is it best to use meths or petrol and just flush it through? And then leave it to evaporate?
Iv put a egr blank on the driver side of the tube but have read its better on the passenger side so ill swap it around at the same time.
Still need to purchase a catch can!

Cleaning the inter-cooler, I have cleaned a couple of dozen and this works well for me.
CAUTION : THESE PRODUCTS ARE FLAMMABLE. TAKE CARE THERE ARE NO IGNITION SOURCES PRESENT AND THE PROCESS IS DONE IN A WELL VENTILATED AREA.
Remove the inter-cooler.
Cap one end so that it seals properly. Tip 1 liter of mineral turps into the other end and cap that end.
Rotate and tip end to end so that turps flows thru the core tubes, agitate the turps back and forth to dissolve any oil.
Remove one cap. "CAUTION" agitating the turps can cause a build up of pressure, remove it carefully. drain the turps and dispose of it properly.
Repeat this process with another liter of turps, drain and observe the colour.
Repeat until it looks clean, usually at 3rd liter it should be clean.
Tip 1 liter of mentholated spirits in to the inter-cooler to flush out the remaining turps.
Allow the inter-cooler to air dry or blow thru with some compressed air
Clean any inter-cooler connecting piping with a rag and some mineral turps. Use some electrical wire tied to the rag to pull it thru.

Awesome thanks for walk through,
I'll give it a go when I next get a chance and post some photos up along the way of both cleaning the inter cooler and the intake manifold

Latest posts

Back