How worth it is a chip?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orreterr

sSquint
Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of trying to make a few more berries and KM's out of my 2.5, as title suggests I'm thinking about a tune chip at this moment.
I've heard conflicting things about tune chips, some say they are a great, safe way to make power and economy, others say they are dangerous and will ruin your engine?

Would it be a bad idea to save the dollars and get a cheaper tuning chip?
Do you have a chip and how much would you recommend it? if so what chip would you recommend? I know there are lots of tuning chips out there, some in the thousands and others like TD Tuning's chip which are around the $500 mark (https://tdi-tuning.com/en-au/car/ni...t/crtd4-single-channel-diesel-tuning-box-chip)

Any advice welcome :)

The Jamie Knobel re-mapped ECU's seem to be the current preference for performance improvements on D22's. I just Googled it & it was easy to find. They do them for both YD & ZD motors. They come in several levels of performance improvement, depending on what you want from it.

They're very popular, so the price has jumped (supply & demand in action) They do a one for one cash back exchange with your current ECU, which saves a bit on cost.

I haven't seen any negative feedback about them & they get mentioned daily on a FB page I'm on.

ECU remap, going into fail safe when under full power towing 6.3 m 5th wheeler, excessive fuel consumption 23.9 litres per hundred km towing in hilly country. About 20 on flatter terrain.

I have just had a remap on my 2011 D40. Very noticeable difference in lower gears and moderate difference in over drive when towing. We couldn't get enough boost to improve power over 3,200 but we try to stay at 3,000 or below so we were ok with the result. Dyno figures look better than on road performance.

Fuel consumption unloaded and towing has always been very poor and none seems to know why.

Goes into fail safe when towing under full power in 4th at 3,200 to 3,500 rpm. Again have not been able to find the cause. Most likely reason is the EGR valve. When the remap was done the computer was used to close the EGR but it hasn't made any difference.
Any ideas appreciated .

PXL_20230524_072548574.jpg

First item on the list - put a blanking plate in the EGR (just to determine whether or not the EGR is causing the difficulties, no I would never suggest leaving the plate in there afterwards, oh no, I wouldn't do that).

Second one is to watch the idle (actually listening more than watching). Does it sound like it's rock steady, or does it rise and sink? We call that "hunting". It's a sign that the SCV (on the fuel pump) isn't 100%. Sometimes a good injector cleaner will fix it - Liqui Moly Fuel System Treatment is my go-to for that, but some use Liqui Moly Diesel Purge which requires more effort but has much faster results. If that doesn't resolve it, removal and examination of the SCV (look for scoring) is required. Nissan supply them for around $240, you can get them off eBay for around $40 and they work just as well - just be sure to order the right one (there's a long one and a short one).

Third - and this again is from my personal experience and may not work for you - get rid of anything from your roof. I had a roof basket up top and was using around 13LPHK. Took it off, and I'm now down to around 11LPHK.

I looked at the blanking plate but I heard the Police are checking them in the east. We are on our way to Queensland from WA. That's why I asked the guys to close the EGR with the computer. Maybe the valve to jammed?

I looked at the blanking plate but I heard the Police are checking them in the east. We are on our way to Queensland from WA. That's why I asked the guys to close the EGR with the computer. Maybe the valve to jammed?

It's definitely possible (that the valve is jammed) hence the suggestion. As for the police over here checking EGR systems for blanking plates - good luck. I would imagine they'd do it if they were stripping the car down to forensically examine it, but on a roadside stop they're either giving you a ticket for some infringement (and the obvious thing here is "don't break the rules" of course) or a breath test - and I've never seen any reasonable-looking vehicle at a random breath test with its bonnet up and a uniformed grease monkey under the bonnet looking for signs of tampering with the emission systems.

Further to this point - if your car is working properly, at idle it won't be using EGR anyway (EGR is off at idle and full throttle) so they won't be sticking a gas analyser up your tailpipe while they're seeing if you're nissed as a pewt.

First item on the list - put a blanking plate in the EGR (just to determine whether or not the EGR is causing the difficulties, no I would never suggest leaving the plate in there afterwards, oh no, I wouldn't do that).

Second one is to watch the idle (actually listening more than watching). Does it sound like it's rock steady, or does it rise and sink? We call that "hunting". It's a sign that the SCV (on the fuel pump) isn't 100%. Sometimes a good injector cleaner will fix it - Liqui Moly Fuel System Treatment is my go-to for that, but some use Liqui Moly Diesel Purge which requires more effort but has much faster results. If that doesn't resolve it, removal and examination of the SCV (look for scoring) is required. Nissan supply them for around $240, you can get them off eBay for around $40 and they work just as well - just be sure to order the right one (there's a long one and a short one).

Third - and this again is from my personal experience and may not work for you - get rid of anything from your roof. I had a roof basket up top and was using around 13LPHK. Took it off, and I'm now down to around 11LPHK.
Thank you @Old.Tony for the tip. I used a Liqui Moly Diesel Purge today on my 2013 D40 and took her for a nice drive (around 30 minutes) and I am so happy. The engine is nice and quiet... actually is purring... My diesel consumption went from 11.9 to 8.9.... AMAZING!!!!

Back