How to Diagnose engine cutting out

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
easy stuff first.
check voltage, especially to pump. just make sure battery is not weak. we had similar issues when alternator stopped working.

run it from a fuel can to make sure its not a blocked fuel line and its got the right filter on it (i've had it where wix filters have the wrong fuel filter listed for them).

put clear fuel hose on the fuel return (ie back to tank) as they can suck in air from the spill line. i know of cases where spill line was loose and not sealing on the injectors (which is why you need to vac test spill lines). clear fuel hose will also tell you if the pump itself is sucking air in.

the other weird one is interference on the crank sensor. trouble is you need a scope to check that.

failing all that, most likely its injection pump. a tad unusual as they typically just die, not go slow. as its rather expensive do all the cheap stuff first.

Hi All.
Engine cutting out randomly on my D22 ZD30, similar to other threads on here. Engine cuts out without any warning, you only notice when you put your foot down or look at dash.
Most times you just turn ignition off then restart car. Then car will be ok for hours, days, or months. Now though its happening everyday and its much worse with engine sometimes not able to rev above 2000 rpm.

I have checked Neutral Position Switch , Inspected Accelerator and Cruise Control wiring, done TPS relearn and replaced Crank Angle Sensor.
Does anybody know how to test Injector Pump and or wiring to it. Pump or loom to it has been suggested as possible cause.
Any other assistance appreciated.
Thanks Ash.
How many k's has it done?

easy stuff first.
check voltage, especially to pump. just make sure battery is not weak. we had similar issues when alternator stopped working.

run it from a fuel can to make sure its not a blocked fuel line and its got the right filter on it (i've had it where wix filters have the wrong fuel filter listed for them).

put clear fuel hose on the fuel return (ie back to tank) as they can suck in air from the spill line. i know of cases where spill line was loose and not sealing on the injectors (which is why you need to vac test spill lines). clear fuel hose will also tell you if the pump itself is sucking air in.

the other weird one is interference on the crank sensor. trouble is you need a scope to check that.

failing all that, most likely its injection pump. a tad unusual as they typically just die, not go slow. as its rather expensive do all the cheap stuff first.
Thanks Everybody for there assistance. Just got back from Fraser island and a month in Queensland. It turned out it was the injector pump, two small black wires going to back of pump get insulation damage from heat over time and start shorting inside top of pump. Anyway nearly 4 grand later and nearly 5000 ks hasnt skipped a beat.

Latest posts

Back