How to check model if it is an ST-X ?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronomc

Reaction score
Hey mates first post here, I'm buying a 2011 ST-X cab chassis. I've entered in the VIN number and registration number on a few websites but they don't seem to provide the series. So is there any way or anything I can look for to confirm it is an ST-X ?

I'm asking this because it seems on this vehicle it's missing features such as the chrome finish on mirrors and grill, it looks identical to the RX models. I want to be sure I'm paying the premium for the correct model

Any help or a pointer in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, hoping to become a part of this community soon with my new rig!

There are several differences between the models.

RX and ST variants were generally manufactured in Thailand so the VIN will start with "MN" and the vehicle will have side indicators in the front wheel guards. RX models had steel wheel rims and a steel frame in the ute tub, whereas ST models had alloy rims and an alloy sports bar in the tub.

STX models have the side indicators built into the mirrors as well as the alloy rims (although the spare was still a steel one). Some variants of the STX had leather seats rather than cloth (mine has cloth, and I know it's an STX because I bought mine new).

It might be possible to fit an RX or an ST with STX gear, but the VIN will give away the actual story. My car's VIN starts with "VSK" indicating a Spanish build (where the STXs of that era were made).

I should also note that some people applied black paint to their grille to "black it out", including the Nissan emblem. It was a thing, what more can I say?

Thanks for the reply Tony,

This car is thai built with the VIN number starting with MN. The indicators are on the front wheel guards not on the mirrors. Unfortunately the tub information isn't relevant to me because this comes as with an alloy tray. And I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough to differentiate the difference between steel and alloy rims. The interior is cloth, and the front grill is black with a silver Nissan logo so I don't believe it has been painted.

The inconsistencies listed raise a concern with me. I'm getting doubts on if this really is an ST-X, I think with this information I'll ask the seller for an explanation for these differences.

A couple of extra identifiers, 1 - The stx has black caps in the front bumper for the fog lights, rx/st are colour coded. 2 - because of the different chassis's the stx wheels will have et30 stamped on the inside, the rx/st will be et45. 3 - if it's a dual cab, the stx will have a fold up rear seat, rx/st is fixed.

From what you’ve described so far it’s probably not an STX.

End of the day, does it really matter if it’s an STX or not? As long as you are satisfied with the vehicle and it has the features you want it could say GTi on the badge.

I guess it’s a bit of a bargaining chip to be able to say it’s not a real STX and knock some coin off the price. Some sellers don’t have any idea what they have, or choose the first option on the list when advertising.

Thank you for the additional info ericcs, I'll keep that in mind.

Hey GunmetalGrey, I believe it does matter because I'm paying extra for something that isn't what it's described as. This has gone from a good price for an ST-X to an average price for an ST. When this car is finally ready for the road I'll ask for a price reduction, or I'll walk and hopefully he changes the model title for the next guy

Only ST-X with an MNT serial number is the the King Cab. At that time the the STX dual cab was Spain built. I know this as I have one brought from new.

I know there was a RX KIng Cab to but no ST. Bizzare thing was the STX KIng Cab has the same Spec levels as the ST Dual cab.

Thanks for all your help guys, in addition to the information you gave me I got onto a Nissan parts dealer who could enter the VIN number into their database and told me it was a mid spec ST.

Following that I called the ACCC who told me they could ping the dealer for two things. Deceptive conduct and incorrect description of the car being sold.

With all this information I called the dealer and thankfully he agreed to pay me back every penny since I won't take it further.

And I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough to differentiate the difference between steel and alloy rims.
Two quick ways to tell the difference:
  1. Steel wheels are pressed and made from a relatively thin sheet of just a few mm, whereas alloy is cast and are a much thicker material
  2. A magnet will be drawn to the steel but not the allow

Latest posts

Back