How many K's on your 550 V9X & any problems you may have had

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very sorry to read of your horror run with your 550 V6 and it does scare me quite a bit. I too had a really bad relationship with Nissan when I owner an early 2000 Patrol with the timebomb 3 litre motor. I thought i'd never own another Nissan but I'm a slow learner.

I bought my 2014 V6 STX a year ago with just under 100,000k's on the clock. It had a service book with 10'000k services and the owner stating that it had had no major issues at all and the ute had given him a great run. He used it for the occasional caravan towing gig. It also has everything that can possibly be fitted to a Navara. It's a comfortable and powerful tourer.

Before I purchased it I did my research on the internet and was very happy to read that the D40 with the V6 was sort after and a reliable unit. It wasn't until after I bought it that I discovered negative reliability issues.

Now I just don't trust it. It has had an intercooler replacement since I have owned it (120,000km) and I'm expecting to change it again soon. I live in central Queensland and the intercooler went just when I needed the ute. I had to get it going quickly. I had no time to get a replacement aftermarket intercooler from either Melbourne or Sydney and the local Nissan dealer was offering a new replacement for nearly $5000. Fortunately the local Jeep wrecker had a secondhand Navara Intercooler for $100. I was told it was from a low milage Navara and it was in good condition - which it seemed to be.

Off came the bullbar, winch, etc., and in it went. I fitted a catch can too. I know it's only temporary.

I've changed the oil more than regularly and I'm planning to service the gearbox real soon and change the timing chain. I'm just trying to stay on top of things. Still - I just don't trust it.

I want to tow my smallish caravan (15000Kg) up to Darwin as soon as it is Covid 19 safe to travel but I am nervous of the Navara making it back home without any issues. Am I stupid to have this concern or do I need to put it out of my misery - get rid of it? As I said, it is a comfortable tourer and it does have everything that 'opens and shuts' fitted to it.

hY65mtj.jpg

Your initial research showed it as sought after but afterwards you read of problems. This sounds like a familiar story, what you find depends on what you search for. From what I have read the big problems are the intercooler (fixed?), brake rotors (should be inexpensive), some transmission issues as I recall. If you are keeping on top of the maintenance you should be OK, but the loose bolt seizing the motor sounds new and rare.
I guess you are always taking a chance but selling now still exposes you to a decent loss I imagine and then you buy another unknown quantity. Can't really give you advice other than keep looking at the good reviews as well as the bad and keep informed of any tell tale problems. I can't tell you how many people have bagged out my ZD30 engine and told me it's gonna blow or the injection pump will shit itself (and the pump probably will before too before I retire it)
By the way I don't recommend towing 15 tonnes unless you trade in for a Mack or something 😁

I own an Stx 550 and I'm wondering if anyone else has had issues with the engine.
Purchased New MY 2012 in July 2013. 140 000 km and serviced every 10 000km and recorded in the service book. Had a few issues repaired under warranty, replaced inter cooler at 50k and again at 130k. Ohter minor issues with exhaust emisson code reads putting it in limp mode. Just out of extended warranty before I had major engine fail.(21 Sept 2019) been off the road since.
The minimal information I have through the local nissan dealer who now has washed his hands of it as it was delivered to NIssan Australia in Melbourne for assessment of the failure, was -
"A nut sheared off in the engine and locked a piston resulting in a major engine fail, possible crankshaft is bent but NIssan Aust need to assess that."... I need to replace the engine: new is $53K installed and rebuilt is 22K plus upto $10k to put it in from 3 quotes. Simply not worth it.
I'm still waiting for some report from Nissan Aust to verify the technical determination of the issue. I've been following this up with them for almost 12 months. You could say I'm pretty disappointed with customer service and NIssan.
I was hoping maybe someone else had a similar issue with the D40 V6 3.0 ltr diesel engine so I can share their thoughts.
I sure wouldn't be recommending Nissan to anyone based on how long they have taken to assess this.
My unqualified thoughts,,, Im also thinking this is why they stopped making the STx550. D40..same engine as the 2.5 L and Nissan didn't take time to quality test when they upgraded it to the super engine for the 550 that they then called the V6 3.0 and therefore the working parts could not take the strain of the supersized torque ...
I need some advice as how I might proceed with tackling Nissan over this issue as although out of extended warranty buy about 8 months, there's is nothing to indicate it was my fault. Maintenance was 100%. The only information I have from the local dealer forwarding me an email reply he received from Nissan customer service is that the age 6 years (break down 21/09/2019) and 140 000 km of the vehicle means they will not assist with covering any cost to repair. I feel that when you spend 63k on a top of the range 4x4 you would expect a longer period of value than 6 yrs and 140k km... thoughts/ advice / help please ?

Not great at all.

Just to set the record straight, the V6 engine bears no relationship to the 2.5 engine. The reason it was discontinued was that Renault did not want to invest in making it Euro 6 compliant. In spite of the preceding posts, this engine is well put together and doesn't have any inherent problems (not that that helps you)

2013 v9x. 230 000 km. Bought it with 72 000 on clock. Full service history from Nissan.
New intercooler on 110 000.
New brake pads every 10 000km +- Fitted powerbrake discs.
Fuel rail sensor R 11 000.00 from Nossan fitted on 144 000 km.
Front boost pipe replaced when i bought it.
Have changed all boost pipes hot and cold to stainless pipes. 200 000kms
Broke front propshaft and gearbox while 4 x4 ing
Luckily my insurance has covered everything so far. +- R 85 000.00
I have also done a 60mm body lift as well as 80mm suspension lift.

Not great at all.

Just to set the record straight, the V6 engine bears no relationship to the 2.5 engine. The reason it was discontinued was that Renault did not want to invest in making it Euro 6 compliant. In spite of the preceding posts, this engine is well put together and doesn't have any inherent problems (not that that helps you)
thanks for the facts....facts first. That's why I posted. Im hearing what mechanics are tell me and don't know what to believe . Now Ive researched what youve mentioned here and it seems valid.

Your initial research showed it as sought after but afterwards you read of problems. This sounds like a familiar story, what you find depends on what you search for. From what I have read the big problems are the intercooler (fixed?), brake rotors (should be inexpensive), some transmission issues as I recall. If you are keeping on top of the maintenance you should be OK, but the loose bolt seizing the motor sounds new and rare.
I guess you are always taking a chance but selling now still exposes you to a decent loss I imagine and then you buy another unknown quantity. Can't really give you advice other than keep looking at the good reviews as well as the bad and keep informed of any tell tale problems. I can't tell you how many people have bagged out my ZD30 engine and told me it's gonna blow or the injection pump will shit itself (and the pump probably will before too before I retire it)
By the way I don't recommend towing 15 tonnes unless you trade in for a Mack or something 😁
Thanks Boogieboots, that's just what I needed to restore a little faith in my Navara. I must check the brake rotors as you suggest.

I purchased a second hand STX550 about 4 years ago at 124,000 k's. It has now done 182,000 K's. I have not replaced anything but new tyres. It was serviced regularly at every 10k and its history showed 2 egr valves had been replaced under at aroun 50k. Only alteration has been to add a catchcan 18months ago. Still on original intercooler and brakes and rotors. Checked brakes and they are original and about 1/3 worn, plenty left. I tow a van interstate on holidays thats weighs 1.5 tonne. It does everything easily. Economy urban around 12l/100k, Country 9.7l/100k, towing 16l/100k. It was very well looked after when I purchased it, probably never been off road Only current issue is the 7AT Auto does not do sport mode (Manual) anymore but doesn't affect performance or driveability. I will have an auto workshop look at that before I go towing next. It is comfortable, roomy, responsive, powerful and perfect for travel and towing a van. Oh and I do not let Nissan mechanics anywhere near it for service.

Only current issue is the 7AT Auto does not do sport mode (Manual) anymore
A friend of mine had to replace his whole dash cluster to fix the issue. He found one with 2000km less on the clocks.
There is also 3 switches by the gear lever that could be faulty.

I've owned my Navara V9X for three years now and it has 135,000km's on the clock - I change the oil and filter religiously.

Replaced the intercooler twice but now I have a fully welded unit. Intercooler inlet tubing is seeping oil at the moment - I have tightened the hose clamp but it's still occurring - must get underneath and have another go. (Hope it's nothing else.)

Fitted a catch can, which seems to work, but there's still quite a bit of oil going to the intercooler. That may be normal?

Just replaced the rear leaf springs as they were a little saggy.

Replaced the oil warning light sender as it was faulty seeping oil. Luckily it was not a low oil pressure problem.

SCV is currently the suspect in an intermittent rough / surging idle and sometimes stalling at very low speed - only one SCV available in Aust. (that I could find) so coming from Perth, W.A. to Qld. I also cannot find any visual information as to the location of the SCV but I will find it.

I replaced the fuel filter hoping that was the source of the surging idle and occasional stalling. It wasn't the problem (more than likely the SCV) but I had just got back from outback N.S.W. and I may have bought some dodgy diesel? The old filter was 'old' but the fuel in it seemed pretty clean - who knows?

Very little visual information that can be sourced regarding the D40 V9X.

Just had fuel in the oil (contaminated engine oil) but an oil and filter change rectified that but I haven't resolved the issue. Could it be the injectors? Can't afford that!!!

I need to resolve the GVM problem as I'm very near the 3010kg limit. I need to start to think creatively to reduce weight and still have the items I think are necessary to support a 'long' drive.

I wanted to add a couple of small spotlights to the front but I couldn't find a reasonably easy way to pass a wire through the firewall - I gave up on the spotlights. I found a rubber grommet below the fuel filter but there was no way of reaching it without major surgery.

I really want to like this vehicle, it's comfortable and has everything I want to explore Australia but I just don't trust it as yet.

Last edited:
A good old Falcon ute with a Barra under the bonnet. That I trust but it still needs regular maintenance. Too bad they don't tow anything of a medium size easily.
Alot have over 300000. Make sure keep a eye on your oil level.

Alot have over 300000. Make sure keep a eye on your oil level.
Yes! Exactly right. The Barra's are still well known to handle the big milages, I'm just hopeful that the V9X can do the same. My problem is that my Navara has broken down either just before, during or just after a big trip. It's happened to me for my last 6 trips south but handled my first trip north without incident. I want to go north in 2 weeks and the engine problems have surfaced again - SCV problems. My local Nissan dealer couldn't help me with a SCV - just not available and refered me to the local Diesel workshop - who managed to find one (last one) in Perth. They were booked out so can't fit it but that's a job I can handle. Courier and part will cost $300+.

My other problem is with the trusted diesel mechanic (mentioned above) in my town simply hating the D40 V6 Navaras' (along with the 4 cyl. D40 Navaras'). It's hard to hear this negative 'press'. All I want to do is trust my Navara as it is the near perfect platform for me.

I've edited the thread title just a little, and thought I'd add something to the discussion here.

The mechanic that replaced the head in my car said that the Navara wasn't his favourite car (even though he drove one himself). He was trying to suggest that another ute might be more reliable/serviceable. He found it hard to refute that my car - with 360,000km on it at the time - was so smooth in operation (apart from the coolant leaking from the head, which had only just happened). He found it more perplexing that the injectors and glow plugs had never come out, and the water pump looked almost new in spite of it being the original.

The biggest surprise was the timing chain. He asked me if I'd had it replaced about 10,000km or less ago, because the chain, guides and tensioners looked in perfect condition. No, they were original. I told him that he was the first person to see the timing chain since the car was manufactured. "You look after the car well, then, and don't flog it".

That, I think, is the key. I watch coolant temps (digitally, and have an alarm at 105C). I tend to drive a lot more gently when towing (and half this car's life has had a 2.5T caravan on the back). But I also think there's an element of build quality, where some vehicles just don't ever seem to get put together well and everything seems to break on them.

I think the moral of the story is: if your car runs well and doesn't need a lot of major repairs, then regular servicing and moderate driving will help it to last longer. Any car - from any manufacturer - could have problems, a lot of it is up to how we manage it.

Well described Old Tony and your current milage is very encouraging to me. Perhaps I should look at fitting one of those temp. alarms. I don't flog mine and I really put effort into regular preventative maintenance. I know the previous owner of my Navara and he was a thoughtful owner and he never had any problems with it when he owned it. Perhaps the problem with mine is the fact that it has always been a tow tug?

Mine's now used once a week for shopping (the shops are 50km away from home) and for towing. Usually to Bathurst for the race events but also camping on the occasional weekend.

The temperature alarm is a setting in the Android app "Torque". Bluetooth OBD adapter required (a few bucks on eBay) and download the app. Piece of cake. It can give you a heap of other info as well - almost everything your ECU has available to it, because you can even get it to query custom PIDs.

One thing I haven't been able to do with it is query the gearbox. I know it's possible because I watched an auto transmission guy query the gearbox through the OBD port, but I don't know the codes. It'd be nice to check things like TC slippage etc!

Mine's now used once a week for shopping (the shops are 50km away from home) and for towing. Usually to Bathurst for the race events but also camping on the occasional weekend.

The temperature alarm is a setting in the Android app "Torque". Bluetooth OBD adapter required (a few bucks on eBay) and download the app. Piece of cake. It can give you a heap of other info as well - almost everything your ECU has available to it, because you can even get it to query custom PIDs.

One thing I haven't been able to do with it is query the gearbox. I know it's possible because I watched an auto transmission guy query the gearbox through the OBD port, but I don't know the codes. It'd be nice to check things like TC slippage etc!

There are some pretty good code readers out there which can do a lot more such as transmission temps, ABS, aircon, steering angle sensor etc. They are getting cheaper too, starting at $600AUD or so.

There are some pretty good code readers out there which can do a lot more such as transmission temps, ABS, aircon, steering angle sensor etc. They are getting cheaper too, starting at $600AUD or so.

Yeah I've seen them, and wonder what codes they're sending the ECU to get the responses. I've looked through the PID list and can send codes to my ECU but I either don't get a response (because I've formatted the commands incorrectly) or I don't understand the response.

I gave up fiddling with it, because the last thing I want to do is make a mistake sending codes to it and breaking it.

Latest posts

Back