Hi

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fivefivezero

Reaction score
Hi all, recently purchased a 2012 stx 550 and loving it.
New to 4x4's.
I want to do some minor mods at some point, so lurking on here hoping to learn some new things.
Cheers

Welcome to the forum. What kind of mods, lift + underbody protection for more serious 4WDing or suspension+mirrors for towing?
Thanks Old Tony. Its quite basic at the moment tho it does have a 2inch lift. I had a look again and there is a 2 inch chock of rubber between the rear axle and leaf spring? Prob similar for the front?
Prob update the air intake hoses and bull/nudge bar for now

Attachments

• 20220317_173533.jpg
    20220317_173533.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 4
Thanks Old Tony. Its quite basic at the moment tho it does have a 2inch lift. I had a look again and there is a 2 inch chock of rubber between the rear axle and leaf spring? Prob similar for the front?
Prob update the air intake hoses and bull/nudge bar for now

That chock of rubber won't pass muster in NSW, and possibly in all of Australia. Coils are up front, it's possible to pop a spacer between the coil and its top but that doesn't extend suspension travel. A proper coil/shock kit is needed up front to provide the extra flexibility but the upper control arms may be impacted if the lift exceeds about 45mm.

Factory leaf springs are generally soft, usually flat and provide a car-like ride from where the keys are handed to you to about the roadside and maybe the first half a kilometre. Once they invert it's all over. Aftermarket springs are better for endurance and load capacity but unless you get dual-rate springs, you're going to feel every bump when the car's unloaded.

As for the air intake, unless you put a snorkel on there's little need to change them - unless you mean the ones between the turbocharger->intercooler->intake. On the YD25 these are pretty good (mine are still original from 2009) but there were a couple of reports of these ballooning on the V9X (STX550).

Yes i think I will definitely upgrade to a proper coil/shock and leaf kit shortly. Not sure how safe it is but i did just get new rego done no issues?
The leaf springs of 150kg constant appears to be basic upgrade. Will 250kg give a better ride?
Although i dont have a bullbar yet should i get heavy duty coils upfront also for the future?
Regarding the intake hoses, yet its the upgrade to silicon for the turbo Navara d40 550 V6 Turbo Intake hose - Plazmaman | eBay
Cheers

I'd wait on the HD springs up front. Stock coils are pretty good, it's the leaf springs that are woeful. If you go to HD springs now, you'll feel all the bumps before the bar is fitted.

From all accounts I've heard, Plazmaman make good stuff.

Back