Help!!!

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylemischke

Reaction score
Gday all, I'm in need of some serious help.
04 d22 zd30ddti

I'm at my wits end with this bloody ute. Ok so buckle up and enjoy the roller coaster.
The page won't let me upload a video.
Start the car hot or cold. The tacho and engine will go crazy. Like a surging or missfire, like it has air in the system..
The tacho will then drop to 0 , the ute will idle normally after it spazs out and the tacho drops to 0. The check engine light comes on.
When I was driving it daily as what ever sensor was failing. It would do the same thing for only 10 minutes on idle, driving was fine and on the highway. It was bearable then it got worse where it would do this crazy stuff every time I pulled up to a set of lights or to an idle. It wouldn't go away. It then started to do it higher up in the revs and the tacho would just bounce from 2.5k to then 4.5k 5k. It then would sort of miss fire or go into limp mode. I'm not sure. This would only be for a little bit until I was up to speed on the highway for a little while.
There is no air in the lines, the fuel filter and fuel injectors got replaced 6 or so months ago. 3-4 k ago(I don't do a great deal of kms as it's my tow rig)
I just got a 2nd hand throttle pedal as I thought it maybe the tps but it made no difference at all.
No water in the fuel
No fuel leaks
Egr is turned off in the ecu and egr is completely gone.
Had new ecu from my tuner Sent up as we thought it may have been faulty but it was flawless.
New ecu in, done the same thing.
Nps I cut the wires to that years ago .

I am thinking maybe scv but why would it cause all the shit with the tacho??? And check engine light?
I'm at a absolute loss.

It sounds like the camshaft/crankshaft sensor is playing up (I can't remember which one yours uses to determine engine RPM). It may be loose or have a dirty connector - both result in the symptoms you've experienced. On some cars metal fragments have found their way onto the sensor and caused erratic operation.

I would have suggested a possible problem with the connections to the instrument cluster but I've never heard of the instruments causing limp mode, so I doubt there's anything there. In the D40s, there's a common earth between the instruments and the stereo, so when the instrument cluster's earth point fails, it routes the earth through the stereo, often picking it up via the antenna - all sorts of crazy happens there, but I don't think that's your issue.

I'd be looking at those sensors and carefully checking the sensor fitment, its plugs and look for any damage to the wiring.

@Old.Tony thank you for the wright up, I have been thinking about it non stop tonight at work and man that does sound about right .
I don't know which one either but I'd dare say crank shaft sensor.

Ah yes I have seen that In forums! Very odd problem with the d40.

Thank you mate, very much appreciated.
Where abouts are the crank and cam shaft sensors on these man?

I did just find someone local who can scan it finally who won't charge me a kidney 😂 $60-$120
booked in for next Wednesday.

Latest posts

Back