heavy vibration at 57 mph, and 65, wheels are balanced? what to do next?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soflegee

Reaction score
Hi guys,

so i had 4 brand new all terain tyres put on theyve all been balanced, it was rumbling a bit before the new tyres too, now its more of a higher pitched vibration through the car if you know what i mean. had them all balanced twice now. what should i be looking at getting done next, wheel alignment? tracking?

Thanks very much!

Hi guys,

so i had 4 brand new all terain tyres put on theyve all been balanced, it was rumbling a bit before the new tyres too, now its more of a higher pitched vibration through the car if you know what i mean. had them all balanced twice now. what should i be looking at getting done next, wheel alignment? tracking?

Thanks very much!
Get underneath and try and rattle all of the universal joints (one at a time) 2 main drive shafts, front and back, one universal at each end of each driveshaft, one might be a bit worn and starts to shudder at speed, mine started at about 95Ks/Hr, sounds familiar to my issue, if there all tight and good, you might try an alignment next but i thought they should have done that automatically with 4 new tires.
I had to replace the rear universal on the rear drive shaft, only replaced the faulty joint, and it and the others have been going strong for a 7? Years since.
TOUCH WOOD…….
I hope this helps

Wheel bearings may be worn. Jack up front wheel put one hand at 12 oclock the other at 6, push/pull see if you can feel any slack.
Usually when the nut is tightened to adjust them ,, they should be dismanteled and greased.
I take a little short cut, remove outer bearing then by fitting metal tube to my grease gun ive made [ about 3 or 4 mm diameter and 300mm long ] I can get some grease on the inner bearing. Grease the outer bearing and replace. Nip up the nut just enough to get rid of any slop,, plus a tiny bit.

With the uni joints , make sure car is out of gear, hand brake on or restrained from rolling Joints should have no strain on them. Also check the splines for movement.

Attached video sorry its a bit rubbish, movement when twisting the drives driveshaft but thought that'd be normal to an extent, but you can see in the other one there's a small bit of movement on the joint, could this be the culprit?

Attachments

• 20230524_180505.mp4
    8.2 MB
  • 20230524_180442.mp4
    32.2 MB
Wow, that's moving heaps. Unis are gone.
Thanks Tony even if bad news! Not something I've done myself before, I live in UK what would I be asking for to be replaced/I'm pretty handy though i could tackle myself, just universal joints in search bar? ? Do you have a link? My reg is (removed)

I assume this is definitely the cause of vibration then!

Thanks so much,
Charlie

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't do my own, the local mechanic has a heap of them of all different sizes and obviously one of 'em fits!

I did a quick eBay search and found the item below. You could do similar and find something closer to home - I searched for "d40 universal joint".

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1425446...ro9ddUF534N4uv2L1augmsoQ==|tkp:Bk9SR7zml5mKYg
In going to pick up the front one today as its all I can afford right now and fit it myself, as front looked much worse, then do the rear one when I get paid at end of week!

Thanks mate! Still £58.99 for the front one though 😖

Get underneath and try and rattle all of the universal joints (one at a time) 2 main drive shafts, front and back, one universal at each end of each driveshaft, one might be a bit worn and starts to shudder at speed, mine started at about 95Ks/Hr, sounds familiar to my issue, if there all tight and good, you might try an alignment next but i thought they should have done that automatically with 4 new tires.
I had to replace the rear universal on the rear drive shaft, only replaced the faulty joint, and it and the others have been going strong for a 7? Years since.
TOUCH WOOD…….
I hope this helps
hi mate, ive got myself 2 front uni joints ready to put on. surely i can do the work without taking the whole driveshaft off as im only doing the one in the middle of the truck that connects to the next one, furthest from engine as theres one either side of the driveshaft

thanks, i really dont fancy taking the whole shaft out

Last edited:
hi mate, ive got myself 2 front uni joints ready to put on. surely i can do the work without taking the whole driveshaft off as im only doing the one in the middle of the truck that connects to the next one, furthest from engine as theres one either side of the driveshaft

thanks, i really dont fancy taking the whole shaft out
Sorry to eyes drop but should you take them out altogether it is far easier to remove and replace. Big hint mark the shaft with paint or whiteout so when it goes back together not 180 degrees out.

Go to your local bearing /transmission factor , much better prices and quality , should also be able to supply greasable joints with nipples, as Barra said mark the shaft and yoke so that you can match them up on reassembly .

I had a similar problem on my D22, had a vibration that was bad at about 40mph but smoothed out when cruising. I changed all the UJs and the centre propshaft bearing but that made no difference. I was crawling around under the truck with a torch a couple of weeks ago and one of the gearbox mountings looked a bit suspect. So I jacked up the transmission and removed the mounts - one was completely shredded and rubber was no longer attached to the metal housing.
Changed the mounts and now drives much better without annoying vibration.
I bought the D22 as a restoration project last year, did all the work and got it on the road but had not been enjoying driving it with the vibration problem - now I love it and it's been promoted to daily driver!

Latest posts

Back