Head Unit replacement

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carts

Reaction score
Hi All,

This maybe of interest to some, My D40 came with the standard Nissan 6 disc head unit, for me this was a little boring, lacking in functions but did do the job.

So being into gadgets I did some research and came up with the option of fitting a Kenwood multi media system with GPS, and Cyprus had just had mapping completed for Garmin. A few units were on offer some with built in GPS others with an extra control unit, my option was the add on as I believe head units advance a lot quicker than the GPS systems and the GPS is updateable, therefore I could always change the head unit in time to come.

I also wanted to continue to use the steering wheel controls, so I would require an interface for this,, find this took forever.

So here what was involved and used;

Kenwood DDX 8022BT head unit
Kenwood/ Garmin GNA 421 GPS interface
Steering wheel interface 29-645 and Kenwood adapter 29-005

A basic insight in to the install of a Kenwood double din head unit (in my case the DDX 8022BT) and connecting the steering wheel interface.

First off you need to remove the small storage box on the top of the dash (anyone got 2 spare clips for this?) this just pops out – try not to loose the small clips into the dash.

Once this (storage box) is removed you will find a single Philips screw in the centre at the rear of this recess, this needs to be removed, then you are able to pull the whole centre dash section forward (needs a little tug- but should come without to much effort) it has 4 clips one in each corner. The dash section has 3 plugs connected to it (access is not a problem as there is enough free loom) the 2 large plugs have like a hinge mechanism and locking clips, firstly press the clip down and then the hinge arm moves across lifting the plug out. The small plug is straight forward, push down the clip and pulls out.

Pannelremoval.jpg

4 Screws hold the head unit in place. On my vehicle the aerial lead has the standard type plug (I have read some vehicles need an adaptor – not sure if that just the Aventura?).

I purchased the ISO adaptor lead and steering wheel interface, this makes the insulation almost 100% plug and play, I say almost as you will need to connect / soldier 3 wires to the OEM loom for the steering wheel connection. (Depending if the interface has been upgraded you may also need to add a 1K resistor. (Really easy- its not rocket science – HONEST). You will also need to connect a wire to the hand brake light / switch feed or earth it out – this wire stops you accessing the DVD player whilst moving (hand brake is off) if earthed you can use it at anytime, this was my option.
Blue tooth mic, I opted to mount this on the top of the steering wheel housing, as I believe you will be looking forward most of the time whilst driving and allows for best pickup for my voice.

KenwoodInstall006.jpg

Remote1kresi.jpg

InstallofSteeringwheelinterface-1.jpg

Depending what extras you are adding this (thanks to Kenwood) is very straight forward, I have added the following;
KNA G421, sat nav, this I have located it under the arm rest (centre consol) as updates are required from time to time I just need to lift out the cup holder section and then have full access to the control unit). The antenna is mounted on the dash (nearside) on the supplied metal disc (connects via plug and play).

Reversing camera, this connects directly into the head unit and its operation is fully programmable from the head unit. I opted for a second switch under the steering wheel housing so I can activate the camera without selecting reverse.

Video in, I have added an adaptor lead in to my glove box to allow me to connect my Nokia N95 for playing videos/ viewing photos etc and to use my Archos media player. This just plugs direct in to one of the head units inputs. (3 RCA plugs –Red, White (audio and Yellow for Video)

USB input, I have also routed this in to my glove box, which allows files/music etc to be played on the Head unit from any usb stick.

I-pod interface, Yet again this is routed to my glove box, and fully controlled via the head units touch screen. (An extra interface lead is required, 2 types depending if you want audio only or video as well). Not really sure while I need all these media options on such a small island….

If I have forgotten anything I will update as I remember, but please feel free to ask any questions...

like you i have got sick of the standard radio in my Navara, i noticed in you write up you mentioned the reverse camera, what i would like to know is were and how you connected the revese camera wire from the head unit so that it worked when you went into reverse

thanks
Rod

Hi guys, firstly sorry for a late reply

the reverse camera is powered via the reverse light, so when i select reverse it all powers up, and switches the head unit in to camera/monitor mode.

And as for my gps speed what’s the issue? Below is another photo from this week.

IMG_5324a.jpg

hey carts, nice work.

abit off topic i know but i am interested in your central locking tailgate you have listed on your mods. would you mind shedding some light on that for me?
i've been thinking about adding it to my sjs canopy for a while now, just wasnt too sure how to tap into vehicle central locking.

cheers, phil.

Bit jealous that our Aus spec D40's don't have automatic climate control or steering wheel audio controls.....

thats bowlox how can they not give you those features.

the steering wheel features are great, and of course the climate control is spot on for the summers here

Australian car distributors seem to think all of us commercial vehicle buyers are two headed yocals (Bogan's as we like to call them here) who don't appreciate the finer features such as automatic climate control, steering wheel audio controls, etc etc. Heck, the Toyota Hilux SR5 (the most expensive in the class) doesn't even come with cruise control!!! However I do believe some Nissan dealers offer leather trim as a dealer fitted option. I wish I knew this at the time of my purchase, it's so much easier to clean and hard wearing...

On another topic, but car audio related, the head unit and speakers in my D40 are completely stock standard, but i puchased an iPod cradle which plugs into the cigarette lighter receptacle under the hazard light button, ran the audio cable inside the dash and plugged it into the ipod plug in the glove compartment. I installed a Focal 10" under-seat subwoofer ( Focal Access 1 speakers and subwoofers - BUS25 right down the bottom of the page) under the driver's seat. It fits very snugly in there, sounds great. It allows you to dial out some of the bass from the already very good standard speakers, creating a very good system - good enough for most punters anyway - maybe not up to boy racer doof doof standards but pumps out normal music at a listenable volume really well with punchy bass. The subwoofer, amp and enclosure are all one unit, surprisingly small and as i said fit under the drivers seat. RRP $599, but I got mine for about $470 i think, and is worth it. Oh it also has a remote volume knob so you can turn the subwoofer level down if you start to get a headache, or the Mrs is in one of those moods...

Last edited:
My sub cost me $8 from repco when they had a sale on, fits behind the back seat and i love it not cos it sounds good but i wont be crying one day when i drown my car in a deep boghole or river crossing.

Has anyone contemplated installing GU Patrol steering wheel audio controls into a D22 ?

Dave.

Bit jealous that our Aus spec D40's don't have automatic climate control or steering wheel audio controls.....

The D40 ST (Thai built) does have steering wheel audio controls & steering wheel phone controls.

Hi
I am trying to change my head unit that came in my D40 2010 Navarra to JVC KWavx846,
I can’t figure out how to connect the steering wheel control interface including the Bluetooth, I looked at Pac and Axxess interfaces and ended up buying Aerpro from WES because they claimed it works with my car just plug and play, however that did not work.
There’s 2 plugs at the back of the original radio, one for Bluetooth, the other for the volume up & down, changing stations etc..
Has anyone successfully managed to connect the steering wheel controllers including the Bluetooth

Latest posts

Back