Has anyone swapped the ZD25 out and replaced it with the ZD30

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manV

Reaction score
Hi All, was wondering if anyone has done this and what problems, if any, did you have and what is required for this to work??? Considering doing this for a mate who's looking at getting either a late model D40 or D22 with the 2.5Lt TD ;)

i take it you mean YD25.
the simple question is why would you want to.
better idea is to swap it for the later YD25 after they fixed the timing chain issue.

Tweak'e, i want to simply because I find that the 3.0Lt is a BETTER motor and doesn't blow smoke like i see with MOST of the 2.5Lts i see getting around....Timing chain issues??? Never had any ! It's like the Patrol guy's changing from the 3.0Lt to the 4.2Lt due to lack of power under load...I DIDN'T see the benefits in reducing the engine capacity for the same weight, doesn't compute well, especially when you've grown up working on diesel engines most of your life, BUT, each to their own, if you're happy with your 2.5Lt, that's great ! ;)

Tweak'e, i want to simply because I find that the 3.0Lt is a BETTER motor and doesn't blow smoke like i see with MOST of the 2.5Lts i see getting around....Timing chain issues??? Never had any ! It's like the Patrol guy's changing from the 3.0Lt to the 4.2Lt due to lack of power under load...I DIDN'T see the benefits in reducing the engine capacity for the same weight, doesn't compute well, especially when you've grown up working on diesel engines most of your life, BUT, each to their own, if you're happy with your 2.5Lt, that's great ! ;)
smoke issue can be a few things, but as its rare over here its more likely down to your guys poor excuse for diesel.
D22 yd25 tends to have egr related smoke issues which is easly fixed.
patrol guys changed zd30 to td42t because of the "zd30 hand grenade" issue. zd30 navara's didn't quite suffer that issue quite so badly. the td42t are actually a lot lower powered to the point a zd30 navara can keep up with them, unless you spend some money doing them up.

anyway, putting a 110kw zd30 into a 125-140kw D40 is a rare thing and probably not all that easy as the tech is a different generation.
does it physically fit in? gearboxes etc?
then the big one of does the early canbus talk to the later canbus. ecu may not run unless the ecu can talk to the other modules and getting things like speedo etc to work.

however on a 2.5 D22, those are gutless wonders and worth ripping out. replacing with the later yd25 would not be a bad idea. but probably an easy swap with a zd30. just have to check engine mounts in case they got sneaky and changed the chassis. any issues with the dash you can fit an older dash in.

btw run 2.3 litre these days. still have the zd30 in the other utes tho.

Latest posts

Back