Grinding the front calipers to fit 15's?

Nissan Navara Forum

Help Support Nissan Navara Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WayneG

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm looking at buying some 15x8 rims in a +20 offset. I went and trial fitted one but of course it rubbed on the caliper.

There didn't appear to be much in it though cause it went on the whole way, just rubbed when the rim was rotated. So I'm wondering if it's possible to grind enough off the caliper to make it clear?

I had the same problem with 16x8 +20's and the dynamic rep said to grind the caliper, I opted to buy different wheels as I just didn't like the idea. But in theory you could as there is quite a bit of metal there.

Want to run 33 x 12.5 so need 15's. The stadard DX rims are 16x6.

Ok, BUT for all the hassle why not just run 285/75/16's or 305/70/16 still 33's but no grinding callipers, and the car will handle slightly better having less flex in the sidewall of the tyres.

Last edited:
285's aren't wide enough, have been looking at 305/70's but only a couple of manufactures make them I think and they'll be harder to get and more expensive.

285's aren't wide enough, have been looking at 305/70's but only a couple of manufactures make them I think and they'll be harder to get and more expensive.

I cant say anything about price, BUT you can get 305's in MICKEY T'S, COOPERS, BFG'S, GT RADIALS, MAXXIS BIG HORNS, TOYO and thats all i bothered to search for but im sure there is more companies i even think the cheapy NEXIN make 305's

ok sweet.

That's probably the way to go then. I didn't really like the idea of grinding the calipers, just thought if someone had already gone down that path it might have been ok.

I wouldnt do it but my old boss did it on his new hilus to fit a set of mag and that was probly four years ago dont think hes had any worries since doing it. it was the same as yours only just scraped took probly 3mm off so it just cleared

I didn't actually try the rears. Once it didn't fit over the front I didn't bother.

I think it's a pretty stupid idea too. Will look for different rims.

What offset do people use that run 33's? I don't really want the tyres sticking out past the guards if possible.

youll find 15" rims and tyres for 15" rims are cheaper then 16" and more common, which is 1 of the reasons i run 15"s. you just need the right offset rim. i know anything less then a 0 will fit, but that will have the tyres flush with your guards roughly from memory.

Yeah that's what i'm looking for, something in a 0. Finding it difficult to track any down though. Everything is either only 7" wide or has negative offset.

patrol rims came in 0 and - 12, landcruiser - 12 and - 22 (dont quote me rough numbers only)

any half decent tyre shop will be able to order 15" rims with 0 offset...

Latest posts

Back